July '08 Applications

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

brianko
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Best route might be for *everyone* to contact a state legisl

Post by brianko »

Sent my paperwork in end of July...in mid-September, my prints were kicked back to me. Had them redone, sent them back within a week. No less than 3 individuals at DPS told me I would have to re-enter the queue, 45-60 day wait (end of October to mid-November). License expired last week. Have a non-resident PA permit to tide me over, but not happy with that arrangement.

Took the advice of some folks here, contacted my local state representative's office in Austin. This was last Friday. Received a call Tuesday from the rep's office requesting more info (CHL number, details of conversations with DPS, etc.). Received a call this morning: DPS is sending my CHL out *today*, should arrive tomorrow or Monday.

It's apparent to me that those of us who are taking the time to contact their reps are getting bumped to the front of the line. While this is too bad for those in front of us, I believe that the more of us who go this route (contacting our state reps), the stronger the message will be to the DPS that we're really tired of all the delays.

Oh, and it probably helped that my representative is also chair of the House Committee on Law Enforcement!
A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves. --E. Murrow
Member GOA (life), JPFO

kalipsocs
Posts in topic: 13

Re: July '08 Applications

Post by kalipsocs »

Well whada ya know! I had checked my status last night and it said processing. I grunted as usual, played around on the net, and went to bed. Wake up sick and late for work. So as I think the day is just going to be a downhill slide, I check the door which has a sticky from the UPS which said DPS on it! Overnighted to me, shiny and new. Total time was just under 90 days. I am sure it was in no doubt due to contacting Gov. Perrys office. So if you are still lingering in your process then you might want to consider doing so. That state rep never even returned my email, but I am sure there are others who would be more than willing to help. Time to pack up my things and move out of the waiting room. Good luck guys.

Topic author
ambitman
Posts in topic: 27

Contacted by Rep Today!...Gov too.

Post by ambitman »

Well Tomorrow makes 90 days since my application has been in Austin. Based upon the feedback from many in this thread it appears that they get results when they contact their representatives. They have contacted DPS and get the run around and then after they get their rep's office to call an amazing thing happens. Their license is completed. So I called my rep five minutes ago. Let's see what happens.

Since I am seeing others get their license when they applied two weeks after I did I have been wondering why. It appears the answer is they get ahead of the line by contacting their representative or the Governor. So we shall see.

What the heck I just contacted Rick Perry's office too. By the way they were very nice on the phone.

Have a great weekend! :thumbs2:
July 18 DPS Received
October 22 DPS website status change Application Completed - license issued or certificate active

brianko
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by brianko »

Well, my CHL arrived at my doorstep today, UPS Expedited, 7 days after contacting my local rep, 3 days after hearing back from his office, 77 days after receipt of my paperwork by DPS.

Strange thing is that I got one of the old-style licenses...which would indicate to me that my license might have just been sitting around, waiting to be mailed out (as I understand the new licenses are being sent out).
A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves. --E. Murrow
Member GOA (life), JPFO

lhdz12
Posts in topic: 4

Post by lhdz12 »

I recieved mine on October 15 and was also sent the old license....your right...probably sat on someone's desk since August....new style of license was supposed to start in September....no telling how long it would have sat on their desk's if I had not called my local state representative....My photo is also extremely dark and red...I am going to call the DPS office on Monday...probably will get the runaround like the last time and will have to sic my local representative on them again...she's a Pit Bull.....
06/28/08 - Class taken
07/07/08 - Packet Mailed
10/7/08 - Date to call DPS for status (90 days)
10/8/08 - Called DPS CHL-They gave me lame excuse
10/8/08 - Called my Local State Rep
10/15/08 - CHL arrived and in Hand ( My local State Rep is a real Pit Bull)

Topic author
ambitman

Application Update

Post by ambitman »

I just received a phone call from my state reps office, Tony Goolsby. They said they spoke with DPS late Friday and they were told that they were swamped with applications. I wonder why? Anyway, whoever they spoke with said that I will have my license by the end of October. I sure hope that is the case.

By the way if you're in Dallas be sure to vote for Tony. He is a stand up guy. I may not agree with him on everything but he is the only elected official I have ever known that actually returned my phone call. He did this even when he knew I did not agree with his position. We need more people in office like Tony Goolsby. :txflag:
July 18 DPS Received
October 22 DPS website status change Application Completed - license issued or certificate active

Topic author
ambitman

Update

Post by ambitman »

I just received a call from Heather in DPS. She said the nicest words I have heard all day. "I have just placed your license in an express mail package and you will have it tomorrow!" Wow, what a great feeling! I am very happy that the wait is almost over. :lol::
July 18 DPS Received

poppo
Posts in topic: 11

Post by poppo »

brianko wrote:Strange thing is that I got one of the old-style licenses...which would indicate to me that my license might have just been sitting around, waiting to be mailed out (as I understand the new licenses are being sent out).
Mine is the old style too. But there was a post somewhere here where it was stated that DPS was temporarily having the licences printed before the background checks were completed to help speed things up. So it is possible it was 'sitting around', but only because it was printed early on in the process.

BTW, as someone else mentiond, my picture looks terible too. Way too red. :grumble Not sure if I will call to complain.
USMC Retired - DAV Life Member - VFW Life Member - NRA Life Member

RedRaider29
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RedRaider29 »

poppo wrote:BTW, as someone else mentiond, my picture looks terible too. Way too red. :grumble Not sure if I will call to complain.
This is a concealed handgun license not a beauty contest! Besides, how many people are you planning on showing this to? :lol: "rlol"

Congrats on the license!
8/13/2008- Packet Received at DPS
8/20/2008- Status Changed to Processing Application
10/21/2008- Application Complete License Active (68 Days)
10/23/2008- Plastic in Hand!

Topic author
ambitman

Website status change

Post by ambitman »

Just went on to DPS website to see status changed overnight to Application Completed - license issued or certificate active. I am now moving my comfortable chair over to the mail box. DPS told me that the license will be express mailed to me and I would have it today. Wally Walk tonight? We shall see.
Anyway, I recommend you call your State Representative's office for help if you have had your application down at DPS more than 90 days. It sure helped me but then again Tony is a good rep. I hope yours is too. :thumbsup:
July 18 DPS Received

Topic author
ambitman

The Plastic Has Arrived!

Post by ambitman »

Well, all good things must come to an end. I will be moving on to make room for another poor soul that must wait and check the DPS website. I am happy to inform you that I got my plastic at 9:25 this morning! 96 days of waiting and it is well worth it so here is the dancing band and I am off for a visit to Wally World. Picture will be posted on http://www.wallywalk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :thewave :party: :chldancing :party: :thewave
July 18 DPS Received

poppo
Posts in topic: 11

Post by poppo »

RedRaider29 wrote: This is a concealed handgun license not a beauty contest! Besides, how many people are you planning on showing this to? :lol: "rlol"
True, but it should at least look like me. Not like I'm in drag wearing blush and flaming red lipstick. :eek6
USMC Retired - DAV Life Member - VFW Life Member - NRA Life Member

heavymetalman
Posts in topic: 3

Post by heavymetalman »

Well, I has been 93 days since DPS has put me into the system and I finally decided to contact the Governor's Office. All I have received so far is the "autoreply." I will let y'all know how things pan out. I hope to get results similar to previous posts. I'm crossing my fingers to have my license next week. :thumbs2:
07-03-08: Class Taken
07-07-08: PIN Received
07-21-08: Application Received by DPS
08- ??-08: Application Processing
10-24-08: Contacted Governors office
10-24-08: Crossing Fingers
10-27-08: Governor's Office Reply
10-31-08: Status: Application Completed - license issued or certificate active

Topic author
ambitman

Post by ambitman »

Call your state reps office too. I think my rep was what got everything moving for me. I never got any positive feelings from Perry's office. He is to important you know. "rlol"
July 18 DPS Received

heavymetalman
Posts in topic: 3

Post by heavymetalman »

Whoo Hoo! When I checked on my status this morning It changed to: "Application Completed - license issued or certificate active"

I received a reponse back from the Governor's office on Oct. 27:
Thank you for taking the time to contact the Office of the Governor. I am asking Major Stan Clark, Interim Director of the Texas Department of Public Safety, for his staff’s assistance in reviewing and responding both to you and this office on the information shared.Please let us know whenever we may be of service in the future.

Sincerely,
Dede Keith
Constituent Communication Division
Office of the Governor
07-03-08: Class Taken
07-07-08: PIN Received
07-21-08: Application Received by DPS
08- ??-08: Application Processing
10-24-08: Contacted Governors office
10-24-08: Crossing Fingers
10-27-08: Governor's Office Reply
10-31-08: Status: Application Completed - license issued or certificate active