May Applications

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

KC5AV
Posts in topic: 4

Re: May Applications

Post by KC5AV »

This might provide some interesting data. I doubt that it would be very scientific, but it might be interesting to crunch some numbers.
NRA lifetime member

Bones444
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Bones444 »

pbwalker wrote:Well, I know for me that Nueces County was 6 days and Bexar County is going on 4 weeks... :(
Thats good for me because i've lived in Nueces all my life.
Carrying since '08...

ericsu19

Post by ericsu19 »

Kaufman county has been over 60 days

ericsu19

Post by ericsu19 »

An is comming up on 90 next week

RichardJ
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RichardJ »

kidder014 wrote:
Well, I know for me that Nueces County was 6 days and Bexar County is going on 4 weeks... :(

I have only lived in Bexar county since I moved here in 1991, sad for me.....
Took class 4/5/08
Mailed packet to DPS 4/7/08
Packet received @ DPS 4/8/08
PIN received 7/26/08
9/6/08 Appication Complete
9/9/08 Plastic in hand

151 Days

roff
Posts in topic: 1

Post by roff »

anyone from may that still has "Packet Mailed to Applicant"?
i has chl
i has cfp

wickedchimp
Posts in topic: 7

Post by wickedchimp »

Ok...now I feel like Im getting the run around. I called about two weeks ago and was told that my background checks were all finished and everything looked good. Ive been checking the status of my app online and it hasnt changed from processing application yet. I called today and spoke with a guy who told me that they were still waiting on my background checks to come back... I asked him what background checks they are still waiting on? He then responded with the nonsense answer of "we are still just waiting on information". Time to write my rep I guess...
May 24: Class passed
May 29: Mailed Application
July 14: Processing Application
August 25: Application Completed!
August 26: Plastic in hand!

artificialgrey
Posts in topic: 2

Post by artificialgrey »

Wicked, keep us posted if you don't mind - I have almost the exact timeline as you
05/30 Mailed Application
06/03 DPS Received Application
07/15 Changed to 'Processing Application'
08/13 'Application Completed - license issued or certificate active'
08/15 Plastic in hand
73 Days total w/o any calls to DPS or state rep

wickedchimp

Post by wickedchimp »

I emailed Rick Perry and my Texas Representative Burt Solomons today with the following information:
I applied for my Concealed Handgun License online on May 9th, 2008. I completed my class and mailed in the proper documentation on May 29th. I was able to check the status of my application online and DPS did not even start processing my application until July 14th. I called DPS about two weeks ago to check the status and was told that my background checks were completed and it shouldn't be much longer. Eager to receive my license, I called again today to see if I was making any progress. Today I was told that they are still waiting for my background checks to come back. Every time I call I get a different story. Today DPS told me that most applications are being processed in anywhere from 120-150 days. This is unacceptable when there is a 60 day statute on the books. If I am late on my vehicle registration or inspection I get a fine. I expect more for my tax dollars and my vote. I would appreciate any help you can provide to me in this matter.
I will let you guys know if I get anything besides a canned response.

Topic author
BigBlueDodge
Posts in topic: 16

Post by BigBlueDodge »

wickedchimp wrote:Ive been checking the status of my app online and it hasnt changed from processing application yet.
I'm not sure why you are checking the site. I had my plastic in hand and the site still said "Processing Application". It only changed to "Application Complete" one date after I had physically received my license. Checking that status site will only make you more frustrated. It is not accurate. Your best best is to call in for most up to date status. Remember, be polite. The people at DPS aren't purposely trying to hijack your application. If the person answering the phone can't provide you with the information, politely ask to speak with a manager. I find that they will be more willing to help you if you aren't attacking/insulting/being aggressive to them.

jlewis240

No More Waiting

Post by jlewis240 »

As of this morning, I checked my status online and it said Aplication complete! Now all I have to do is wait for the plastic. :thewave :cheers2: :fire :anamatedbanana :woohoo
Took Class: 2-16-08
Mailed to DPS: 5-20-08
DPS Received: 5-23-08
Received PIN: 6-24-08
Application Complete- license issued/certificate active 8-12-08
Plastic in hand!!!!!!!!!!!- 8-15-08

toddlinder
Posts in topic: 3

Post by toddlinder »

I am new to the waiting room, but hope to be close to completion. Here are significant events as of today 4/12:
- my application sat around DPS for some time before someone picked it up (I was scared to ask how long it sat)
- my fingerprints came back with no problems
- waiting on background checks
- 4/12 my background checks are completed and I just need "final processing" but the DPS guy (who was very nice and helpful) said that he would not hazard a guess to how long that would take.

My biggest question right now "Is this accurate information?" based on the previous couple of posts. We'll see.

ruger
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ruger »

Just thought i would let ya'll know that DPS received my application on May 9th. I got my plastic in the mail on August 2nd. I think that is a total of 83 days which is much sooner than expected.
I like Poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick!!!

artificialgrey
Posts in topic: 2

Post by artificialgrey »

artificialgrey wrote:Wicked, keep us posted if you don't mind - I have almost the exact timeline as you
@ Wicked - Checked my status online today and it read, "Application Completed - license issued or certificate active". Comes out to about 71 days from DPS receiving it till the time I went active.
05/30 Mailed Application
06/03 DPS Received Application
07/15 Changed to 'Processing Application'
08/13 'Application Completed - license issued or certificate active'
08/15 Plastic in hand
73 Days total w/o any calls to DPS or state rep

wickedchimp

Post by wickedchimp »

BigBlueDodge wrote:
wickedchimp wrote:Ive been checking the status of my app online and it hasnt changed from processing application yet.
I'm not sure why you are checking the site. I had my plastic in hand and the site still said "Processing Application". It only changed to "Application Complete" one date after I had physically received my license. Checking that status site will only make you more frustrated. It is not accurate. Your best best is to call in for most up to date status. Remember, be polite. The people at DPS aren't purposely trying to hijack your application. If the person answering the phone can't provide you with the information, politely ask to speak with a manager. I find that they will be more willing to help you if you aren't attacking/insulting/being aggressive to them.
I understand what you are saying but the point is that the website SHOULD be up to date...Our tax dollars pay for it.
artificialgrey wrote:
artificialgrey wrote:Wicked, keep us posted if you don't mind - I have almost the exact timeline as you
@ Wicked - Checked my status online today and it read, "Application Completed - license issued or certificate active". Comes out to about 71 days from DPS receiving it till the time I went active.
Congrats!! I just checked mine and Im still stuck on processing.

I got a response from Rick Perry's office today.
Thank you for taking the time to contact the Office of the Governor. I am asking Colonel Thomas Davis, Director of the Texas Department of Public Safety, for his staff’s assistance in reviewing and responding both to you and this office on the information shared.Please let us know whenever we may be of service in the future.

Sincerely,
Dede Keith
Constituent Communication Division
Office of the Governor
Also got a response from the State Reps office...more of a blow off I suppose..
I understand your frustration, however, at this point in time there are so many people are applying for their license that the limited staff can't keep up. They have hired additional (limited) staff but they have to be trained. It wouldn't be wise to hire too many additional staff because about that time, applications would drop off (as they do ebb and flow) then the agency would be in the position of letting people go.

Please, be patient (as I personally had to do when I applied) and I am sure the license will arrive. It's a great sign that people want to obtain their CHL's ; however, that is really taxing the system.

Thanks for contacting our office. Sorry I couldn't offer a faster solution to your situation.
Katherine Carrington
District Director/Constituent Services
Office of State Representative Burt Solomons

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”