April Applications

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

taurus4007
Posts in topic: 13

Re: April Applications

Post by taurus4007 »

ABN556 wrote:I am just about at the point where I don't care any more. This has been the worst example of a bureaucratic nightmare that I have seen from any level of government in decades. Federal Income Tax returns are processed way faster than this and there have to be hundreds of of thousands times more files to process there than for CHLs in Texas. I took the class when my daughter had a six weeks to go in her freshman year of high school. Looks like she'll be a sophmore before I get anything back from them.

This whole thing has just reinforced my belief that bureaucracy is the refuge of a mediocre mind.

I understand the frustration. You really want to get frustrated.....listen to what happened to me today. As is now my daily custom, I called DPS hoping to reach Heather or Simone or someone who has been helpful to others in the forum but no luck on that. Anyway, I get a guy who tells me that EVERYTHING is back and all looks ok and that there is nothing more that needs to be done on my application. So I ask when I should have plastic in hand and he tells me that I should call in about a week to see. At this point I am to the point of flabergasted,frustrated, speechlessness. I ask if there is some sort of button he can push to get this thing activated and mailed to me and of course he says there is no way he can do that. So I ask how long I should expect to wait and he tells me that if status hasn't changed to check back in a couple of weeks. Unbelievable. So I will call again tomorrow in hopes of getting a different voice and some more information. :confused5
Class completed 4/27
Application received by DPS 4/30
Check Cleared 5/05
State Rep Inquired 6/28
PIN received 7/15
Application "In Process" 7/17
Application Completed 7/30 90 Days
August 15- PLASTIC IN HAND!!!!!

kman458
Posts in topic: 9

Post by kman458 »

I understand where you are coming from as I was in the same boat last week only when I started getting non-answers I would say thank you, hang up, and call back, 4 times total, till I finally got someone that got so flustered that they transfered me to someone that had the answers. I was told that the license would be issued by the end of the week. That was last Thursday and my status had changed from pending to complete when my wife checked first thing Saturday morning. At no time did I get mad with the person I was talking to as I knew they were probably telling me all they could tell me but I did have to insist I speak to a supervisor several times before I was connected to one.

taurus4007

Post by taurus4007 »

Thanks Kman. I hope I did not give the impression that I was rude in any way. I have been very nice and so have the call center folks. I asked the same questions several different ways to try to get an answer to no avail. I am a very patient person but I do like to be able to know what is going on. No information or small amounts of it are what tend to bother me. If they were able to say we'll have it to you this week or next I'd be fine with it and go on my merry way, but as it stands I have no idea when the thing will get to me and I am traveling this week and would like to be a law abiding and protected citizen as I do it. I guess we'll all have to wait and be as patient as we can be. I've lived 41 years without it and a few more days (Weeks?!!) won't hurt anything. Be safe out there.
Class completed 4/27
Check Cleared 5/05
State Rep Inquired 6/28
PIN received 7/15

taurus4007

Post by taurus4007 »

OK.....HERE IT IS!!!!

Checked the site this morning and it says-Application complete!!!!!!!!!!! :thewave :thewave :thewave

Waiting on the Postman now!!!! :anamatedbanana
Class completed 4/27
Check Cleared 5/05
State Rep Inquired 6/28
PIN received 7/15

pims14
Posts in topic: 12

Post by pims14 »

pims14 wrote:Called the DPS this afternoon....

Everything has been completed. Mine application is in the "queue", waiting on "imaging." ,and shouldn't be more than three weeks out.

I'm assuming that my license is basically waiting in line to be printed.
update...

I call this morning just to be told that they are still waiting on my DPS background check and that it is likely to be 30 to 45 more days. :banghead: '

Is it really that hard for everyone to be on the same page? If the background checks aren't done, just say that they are not done. It gives me the impression that some of them are giving the same story to everyone that calls.
"Whatever hits the fan won't be distributed evenly"

plantop14

Post by plantop14 »

taurus4007 wrote:OK.....HERE IT IS!!!!

Checked the site this morning and it says-Application complete!!!!!!!!!!! :thewave :thewave :thewave

Waiting on the Postman now!!!! :anamatedbanana
Congrats taurus, I'm on the same timeline you are other than I rec'd my PIN July 28! Maybe 2 weeks from now I'll have a completed application! :hurry:

ABN556
Posts in topic: 25

Post by ABN556 »

I just called and was told that they were processing my application and that it was in "that big group of applications from April". I was also told that it could be another 45-60 days until it is finished. Keep in mind that this is an application that DPS admits to receiving on 4/25/08 - nearly 100 days ago.

Never in my life would I have thought that a branch of the Texas government would be this inept.

This is an absolute waste of time and money. I want my money back. Anyone know how you would go about getting the $140 refunded?

If it takes them another 60 days as they said it might - this application would take longer to process than a security clearance did when I was in the Army.
04/19/08 - Took Class
4/25/08 – Packet received by DPS
5/1/08 – Check cleared my bank
7/21/08 – Rec’d PIN
08/28/08 - Heather called - license being mailed out today.
08/29/08 - web site updated:

RaginKajun
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RaginKajun »

My check was cashed on April 7th...just got back from Belize to find my plastic in the mail...somewhere in the neighborhood of 110 days.

sylus27
Posts in topic: 2

Post by sylus27 »

Looks like they're starting to finish some of the April applications. Mine was received by DPS on April 7 and the website has changed to "Application Completed". Hopefully they'll make it through the rest of you guys pretty soon.
April 2008 - Packet received by DPS
August 2008 - Plastic in hand!
April 2013 - Renewal packet submitted

ranger's wife
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ranger's wife »

The Postman was good to me today. I have my plastic in HAND!
Took class: 4/12/2008
Electronic Fingerprints taken: 4/15/2008
Mail application: 4/16/2008
DPS received: 4/19/2008 (they say it was 4/23)
Processing Application: 5/7/2008
Status unchanged as of 6/24/2008
7/15/08 - Application Completed - license issued or certificate active
7/25/08 - PLASTIC IN HAND

baseballguy2001
Posts in topic: 2

Post by baseballguy2001 »

It's here!! I didn't check the DPS site, I didn't call, the wife went to the mailbox today and there it was!
:txflag:
7.30.08 -- Plastic in hand (99 days)
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

agbullet2k1
Posts in topic: 15

Post by agbullet2k1 »

Well it has been over 4 weeks since I received my representative prompted call from Melody at DPS. At that time she said they were just waiting on the FBI check to come back. I checked online again this morning only to see "processing application" again, so I was on my way outside to call them back and complain about the even longer wait when my phone started vibrating. I picked it up, and guess who it was....Melody calling back saying she just dropped my card in the mail!!!!! Cue the army of dancing bananas. :anamatedbanana :anamatedbanana :anamatedbanana :anamatedbanana :anamatedbanana :anamatedbanana :anamatedbanana :txflag: :patriot:

101 days from receipt to approval. I hope it gets here by Saturday. Wally World trips are easier for me on the weekends. :fire
Walther P99AS 9mm
Beretta PX4sc 9mm
Walther P99 .40 S&W
FrankenAR-15
Type II Phaser

RichardJ
Posts in topic: 19

Post by RichardJ »

agbullet2k1 wrote:Well it has been over 4 weeks since I received my representative prompted call from Melody at DPS. At that time she said they were just waiting on the FBI check to come back. I checked online again this morning only to see "processing application" again, so I was on my way outside to call them back and complain about the even longer wait when my phone started vibrating. I picked it up, and guess who it was....Melody calling back saying she just dropped my card in the mail!!!!! Cue the army of dancing bananas. :anamatedbanana :anamatedbanana :anamatedbanana :anamatedbanana :anamatedbanana :anamatedbanana :anamatedbanana :txflag: :patriot:

101 days from receipt to approval. I hope it gets here by Saturday. Wally World trips are easier for me on the weekends. :fire
Ok, I think it is time for me to call my rep. I didn't want to do it but looks like I am going to have to.
Took class 4/5/08
Mailed packet to DPS 4/7/08
Packet received @ DPS 4/8/08
PIN received 7/26/08
9/6/08 Appication Complete
9/9/08 Plastic in hand

151 Days

kman458

Post by kman458 »

Well just got back from lunch to find something from dps regulatory licensing service. I am finally legal now after 119 days waiting.
:anamatedbanana :woohoo :anamatedbanana :woohoo :anamatedbanana :woohoo :anamatedbanana
Wally world here I come.

taurus4007

Post by taurus4007 »

kman458 wrote:Well just got back from lunch to find something from dps regulatory licensing service. I am finally legal now after 119 days waiting.
:anamatedbanana :woohoo :anamatedbanana :woohoo :anamatedbanana :woohoo :anamatedbanana
Wally world here I come.

Congrats Kman!!! I opened the mailbox this evening and.................still waiting. :nono: That's ok I hope to be legal by Saturday. All of my fellow churchgoing CHL holders are wondering when their backup will be in place and I am eager to get to Wally world. I hope this week!!
Class completed 4/27
Check Cleared 5/05
State Rep Inquired 6/28
PIN received 7/15

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”