"Waiting Room"

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

BOHagan05-G23
Posts in topic: 4

Re: "Waiting Room"

Post by BOHagan05-G23 »

CHL Class: Feb 23
Mailed Packet : Feb 26
Received Pin: May 18
App. Complete: June 5

Checked my status this afternoon and.....

APPLICATION COMPLETE - LICENSE ISSUED :anamatedbanana :anamatedbanana :woohoo :woohoo

I m not sure it was worth the wait (90 days +)....I ll let you know when I m holding the plastic.

rob36304191
Posts in topic: 8

Post by rob36304191 »

well, i called today about my application. i was told by the woman doing my app that it was complete and i should recieve it in the mail next week seeing how today is friday. i guess the wait it finally over. it has been a long road. at times it seemed that there was never going to be a end. all i did was kept calling and asking questions. reminding them that it says 60 days. it seemed to work i guess. i found out the person who was working on my app and when i called i asked for her directly. she told me more than the people that answer the phone. so my wait is over. heres to hoping that everyone has a short time. :woohoo :anamatedbanana :anamatedbanana :thewave :chldancing
took class: feb 23
mailed everthing in: feb 25
recieved letter with pin: march 20
current status: Application Completed-license issued or certificate active june 6
plastic in hand: june 14
Robert D.
Commerce,Texas

kappatiff
Posts in topic: 2

Post by kappatiff »

What is the website that everyone seems to be checking the status on? We just mailed ours in maybe 2 weeks ago - got the delivery confirmation. I can't wait! My husband is getting antsy too ...

Am new to this site, but love it so far! I'm digging this new hobby. :clapping:
{The best defense against a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun}

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 40

Post by seamusTX »

Welcome to the forum.

When DPS starts processing your application (aside from cashing the check), they send you a letter with a web site address and a personal identification number (PIN). They you get to check every day for months until you get gray hair.

Good luck for a quick and trouble-free application.

- Jim

kappatiff
Posts in topic: 2

Post by kappatiff »

Well dang it ... so the process effectively hasn't even started for us. :( How long does this magical letter usually take to get back in the mail???
{The best defense against a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun}

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 40

Post by seamusTX »

I'm not keeping statistics, but the time between mailing the application and getting the PIN letter varies from a couple of weeks to two months.

There seems to be a pattern, if you haven't heard from DPS in a month, then call or e-mail them, they issue your PIN the same day.

I don't want to scare you, but some applications have taken five months.

- Jim

JDKRIEK
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JDKRIEK »

kappatiff wrote:Well dang it ... so the process effectively hasn't even started for us. :( How long does this magical letter usually take to get back in the mail???
Never got the letter, I had to manually email the DPS asking for my PIN
If you have forgotten, misplaced or never received your PIN, please contact TxDPS via email (chl@txdps.state.tx.us) and include the following information: Texas concealed handgun license number, driver license number, full name and date of birth. Your PIN will be returned in a timely fashion to the same email address submitting the request and in the order your request was received.
KIMBER SST UCII
NRA/HCA MEMBER

4/22/08 PACKET AT DPS
5/15/08 PIN, PACKET MAILED TO APPLICANT
5/22/08 EMAILED DPS
6/10/08 EMAILED REPRESENTATIVE
6/11/08 PROCESSING APPLICATION
7/03/08 APPLICATION COMPLETED - LICENSE ISSUED OR CERTIFICATE ACTIVE
7/10/08 PLASTIC IN HAND! 80 DAYS

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 12

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

JDKRIEK wrote:
kappatiff wrote:Well dang it ... so the process effectively hasn't even started for us. :( How long does this magical letter usually take to get back in the mail???
Never got the letter, I had to manually email the DPS asking for my PIN
If you have forgotten, misplaced or never received your PIN, please contact TxDPS via email (chl@txdps.state.tx.us) and include the following information: Texas concealed handgun license number, driver license number, full name and date of birth. Your PIN will be returned in a timely fashion to the same email address submitting the request and in the order your request was received.

I have noticed that the folks who have applied online seem to get their PIN much quicker than the folks who did everything through the instructor or class they attended. I believe what happens is that a pin is issued as soon as they mail you the packet. For those of us that did the whole thing through the instructor, we have to wait for someone to manually enter all the info before we get a pin. According to the folks at the CHL department, having a pin or not having a pin has nothing to do with the stage your application is at.

kd5zex
Posts in topic: 6

Post by kd5zex »

03Lightningrocks wrote: I have noticed that the folks who have applied online seem to get their PIN much quicker than the folks who did everything through the instructor or class they attended. I believe what happens is that a pin is issued as soon as they mail you the packet. For those of us that did the whole thing through the instructor, we have to wait for someone to manually enter all the info before we get a pin. According to the folks at the CHL department, having a pin or not having a pin has nothing to do with the stage your application is at.
Yes, when you apply online you get a PIN with your application, you have it before you mail your application in. Then you get to watch it change from "Packet Mailed to Applicant" to "Processing Application". At the very least when you do get a PIN, after going the instructor route, it means someone has done something with your application, whatever it may be. Maybe it goes under the leg of the wobbly table in the break room or it may mean you have been "entered" into the system.

eta:grammar
Last edited by kd5zex on Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Member

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 12

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

kd5zex wrote:Snip........ At the very least when you do get a PIN, after going to instructor route, it means someone has done something with your application, whatever it may be. Maybe it goes under the leg of the wobbly table in the break room or it may mean you have been "entered" into the system.
I think Simon stuck mine under the coffee pot. "rlol" "rlol"

kd5zex

Post by kd5zex »

03Lightningrocks wrote:
I think Simon stuck mine under the coffee pot. "rlol" "rlol"
I could only imagine what that office looks like with 40,000 applications stacked about, actually thinking about it you have to give them credit for not botching very many. I wonder what percentage of forum members make up the "queue"?
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Member

BOHagan05-G23
Posts in topic: 4

Post by BOHagan05-G23 »

ITS HERE :anamatedbanana

CHL Class-Feb. 23
Mailed App-Feb. 26
Pin Received- May 9
App. Complet License Issued- June 5
Plastic in Hand-June 12

All I have to say its about time..... Checked the mail after work and there it was. Who knew a plain white envelope could bring so much happiness.
To all of you still waiting, I hope you get your license faster than I did. Good Luck, I'm outta here

snakeshot
Posts in topic: 3

Post by snakeshot »

Took Class 2-16-08
Mailed Completed pack 3-11-08
TDPS evidently received my packet, took out the $140.00 check and threw the rest in a big pile...because
Check cleared the bank on 3-17-08. I remember thinking at the time.. man! They sure jumped on my application quick. :txflag: That was when I started counting down the 60 days. ;-)
As 5-17-08 approached, I started getting pretty anxious. I could not wait until the middle of May. :drool:
5-17-08 came and went. Not a peep from the TDPS :headscratch
On 6-01-08 my wife called me at work and said I had received my "thing" from TDPS. I could not get home fast enough. When I opened the letter, dated 5-27-08 informing me they received my application, and they gave me a pin # to track the progress. (say what!?) You cashed my check back in March.. :confused5
Checked the website, and it said "Processing Application" I googled "Processing Application", and that is how I found this website waiting room.
After reading some of these post, I was just hoping to have my plastic by Labor Day.
On 6-11-08, the status changed to "Application Completed - license issued or certificate active" :woohoo
I really thought it would be in the mailbox today..6-13. :neutral:
Maybe tomorrow.... :read:

Snakeshot

kd5zex

Post by kd5zex »

snakeshot wrote: Checked the website, and it said "Processing Application" I googled "Processing Application", and that is how I found this website waiting room.
After reading some of these post, I was just hoping to have my plastic by Labor Day.
On 6-11-08, the status changed to "Application Completed - license issued or certificate active" :woohoo
That just cracked me up "rlol" anyway, congrats on the approval. I sent my application in a day before you... Hope you get your plastic soon. :txflag:
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Member

snakeshot
Posts in topic: 3

Post by snakeshot »

kd5zex wrote:
snakeshot wrote: Checked the website, and it said "Processing Application" I googled "Processing Application", and that is how I found this website waiting room.
That just cracked me up "rlol" anyway, congrats on the approval. I sent my application in a day before you... Hope you get your plastic soon. :txflag:

Thanks kd5..
Well, this morning the unthinkable happened. I walked down the end of the driveway trying real hard not to get my hopes up. I got to the mailbox and hesitated because If it wasn't there, I knew Monday was a long way away. I opened the mailbox, and in the middle of 2 credit card offers, a sales paper, and my wifes sales magazines was a skinny white envelope with the seal of the State of Texas in the upper left hand corner that said Regulatory Licensing Service, Texas Department of Public Safety. :chldancing

I am not working today, and getting it on a day off I must say is pretty cool.

TDPS cashed my check 3-17-08
Doing the MC Hammer dance at the mailbox 6-14-08
90 days.

I feel like Miss America

snakeshot

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”