Let's hear some updates!

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Uglee
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Let's hear some updates!

Post by Uglee »

UPDATE: May 15, 2008----PLASTIC IN HAND!!!! :anamatedbanana

CHL Timelines:

Jan 28, 2008-Signed up online TXDPS CHL Application and CHL Class with Lonestar Handguns (Bass Pro Shop-SATX)
http://www.lonestarhandgun.com

Feb 02, 2008-Received CHL package and PIN number from TXDPS

Mar 01, 2008-Class completed at Bass Pro Shop (Recommend taking a CHL class where all processes are completed at one
location. Ex: Class, Paperwork, Fingerprinting, Photos, Notorary Service, Range Shooting)

Mar 03, 2008 Mailed CHL package.

Mar 05, 2008 TXDPS Received package. (Clock Starts Here)

Apr 23, 2008 (Day-49) Got an email notification from Mr. Galvan, TXDPS CHLB, that I had failed to provide necessary information in regards to active duty military application. In order for the military or retiree to obtain a free or reduced price special conditions, we must provide additional documents. I was able to scan/convert documents electronically and email them back same day. Therefore I save a few day for postage time and $$! Furthermore, Mr. Galvan also told me that it should not be too much longer, maybe a couple of weeks and I should have plastic in hand!

Apr 24, 2008-(Day 50) Status changed today from "Application mailed to applicant" to "Processing Application"

May 12, 2008-(Day 69) Emailed Mr. Galvan to inquire about my status and he responded back with ""I was able to issue your license this morning. It is in the mail. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance." His response came back almost immediately, is that cool or what? Maybe that was just a fluke that my CHL was just laying around on his desk and my email had prompted him to "Put it in the envelope and mail it out! Anyways I am just as happy!

May 13, 2008-(Day 70) Status online changed to "Application Completed - license issued or certificate active"

May 15, 2008-(Day 72) Plastic in Hand! Time to do the "Wally Walk!"

I hope you all get your CHL soon, I am out of here! Good Luck!

Best Regards,

UG-Lee :txflag:
"CHL Card" -- "Don't leave home without it...or your gun!!!"
Last edited by Uglee on Fri May 16, 2008 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

thejtrain
Posts in topic: 19

Post by thejtrain »

Congrats Uglee! That gives me profound hope 'cause we were actually in the same class @ Bass Pro SATX, and DPS received our packets on the exact same day (5 March). What's interesting is that mine went to "Processing" almost a month sooner than yours, but yours got issued first. Weird, huh?
:thumbs2: :txflag: :fire :thumbs2: :txflag: :fire
5 Feb 2008 - completed online application
1 March 2008 - completed CHL course
5 March 2008 - package delivery @ DPS
28 March 2008 - Day 23, "Processing Application"
12 June 2008 - Day 99, "Application Completed" :thumbs2:
20 June 2008 - Day 107, plastic in hand :txflag:

longhorn_92
Posts in topic: 11

Post by longhorn_92 »

thejtrain wrote:Congrats Uglee! That gives me profound hope 'cause we were actually in the same class @ Bass Pro SATX, and DPS received our packets on the exact same day (5 March). What's interesting is that mine went to "Processing" almost a month sooner than yours, but yours got issued first. Weird, huh?
:thumbs2: :txflag: :fire :thumbs2: :txflag: :fire
Go figure....

My timeline is almost identical....yet you and I are still waiting....
“If you try to shoot me, I will have to shoot you back, and I promise you I won’t miss!”

NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Member

thejtrain

Post by thejtrain »

longhorn_92 wrote:Go figure....

My timeline is almost identical....yet you and I are still waiting....
I almost wonder if it's a case like this:

Package all together, nothing missing, just needs the background check - goes on a pile with the other 90% (my SWAG) of the apps that need zero contact with the applicant (no questions, no add'l paperwork, etc.)

Package missing something (Uglee's military records, a signature missing, etc.) - goes on the much, much smaller pile and actually gets worked somewhat sooner because there's actually a task to be done on it rather than just sending off for the background check

Know what I mean? Maybe I'm thinking about it completely backwards, but I do wonder if the relative sizes of those two piles contribute to the disparity somehow. I apologize to those who've been waiting for 6 months and had to send multiple sets of fingerprints, etc. etc. - in no way do I mean to denigrate your horrible experiences - just kinda ponderin' out loud here.

JT

RugerP345
Posts in topic: 8

Post by RugerP345 »

Uglee, Congratz on the plastic now a wally walk is in order! :txflag:

thejtrain, your theory is the most plausable as DPS rec'd my packet on the same day (March 5th) and still no plastic.

Still waiting........ :waiting:
Ignorance and obscurantism have never produced anything other than flocks of slaves for tyranny. ~ Emiliano Zapata in a Letter to Pancho Villa

Uglee

Post by Uglee »

Thanks to "All" for the "Congrats." :thumbs2:

A couple of questions for you all, I applied for my CHL online prior to taking the class. I do believe that this help with data entry as this only require someone at DPS to verify the CHL package once I complete the training. They would not have had to input all the info from a manually filled out form. That's just my opinion. Not so sure if this is a fact, but my observation from others in this forum leads me to believe that this process does help to facilitate getting a quicker turn around.

Also, did you all send your package certified receipt? I did not send my package to DPS certified mail. So, maybe no one had to sign for it may have speed up the process too? I would like to think that, but simply put, I just forgot to send it certified as I had all intentions of doing just that. However, I forgot to ask the mail clerk to do that but she did tell me that it would get to Austin in two days from Cibolo. DPS also confirmed the received date when their Dept Rep called my about my complaint (see below).

Finally, another thing to note was that my package was on "hold" due to lack of providing additional information. (Proof of Military Service information.) Once, I read from other military folks that had failed to provide "required military service information" this info through this Forum, I got really livid and wrote a long email to several DPS Dept. Supervisors. (See my first post on this subject). Their requirement for proof of service was not identified on their website, handbook, or the checklist either. So, I asked that I get a response to my complaint and they were pretty quick about their response. I had identified a foul on their part. I also asked would this slow/delay my processing rep stated that he would work with me to ensure that there would be no delay. Well, they emailed me with a scanned copy of a letter requesting my additional information to which I reply back immediately with electronic copy of the requested information, all within an hour of receiving their email. I received a response almost immediately that my package was being processed. So, really I did not suffer a delay as my wait time was about inline with most others in this forum with a few exceptions of folks waiting more than 72+ days. I do think that my letter to the DPS got some attention and they did in fact took a personal interest in expediting my CHL application without delay...even went as far as emailing me rather than mailing out an official hardcopy letter. The rep even stated in his email that I could email, fax, or mail the additional information. So, that probably shaved about a weeks turn around time there.

I will say that I was biting my lips when dealing with DPS. My complaint email/letter was very cordial, diplomatic and to the point. Additionally, I did thank him and their staff for doing their jobs too! So, I think that positive tone/communication does go a long way especially when the ball is in their court. Furthermore, my inquiry about my status (May 12) may have served as a "reminder" to the rep that he was personally working my package as he had previously stated/promised. He responded immediately that he found my CHL and would mail it out the same day. Lord and Behold, it came in today (May 15). I just hope that DPS will update/identify their requirements so that other active/retired military and veterans alike do not get delayed due to current processes of DPS.

If you ask me if this long waiting period, along with inadvertent lack of information had bother me? YES, but it was worth it and hopefully other will learn from my experience.

Time to do the Wally Walk! Good Luck to you all! Let me know how it goes for you all too! :tiphat:

thejtrain

Post by thejtrain »

Uglee wrote:A couple of questions for you all, I applied for my CHL online prior to taking the class. I do believe that this help with data entry as this only require someone at DPS to verify the CHL package once I complete the training. They would not have had to input all the info from a manually filled out form. That's just my opinion. Not so sure if this is a fact, but my observation from others in this forum leads me to believe that this process does help to facilitate getting a quicker turn around.
I also applied online beforehand, and therefore had my PIN before even going to class. And I think longhorn may have as well. So I'm not sure we've got empirical evidence that applying online helps significantly.
Uglee wrote:I had identified a foul on their part. I also asked would this slow/delay my processing rep stated that he would work with me to ensure that there would be no delay. Well, they emailed me with a scanned copy of a letter requesting my additional information to which I reply back immediately with electronic copy of the requested information, all within an hour of receiving their email. I received a response almost immediately that my package was being processed. So, really I did not suffer a delay as my wait time was about inline with most others in this forum with a few exceptions of folks waiting more than 72+ days. I do think that my letter to the DPS got some attention and they did in fact took a personal interest in expediting my CHL application without delay...even went as far as emailing me rather than mailing out an official hardcopy letter. The rep even stated in his email that I could email, fax, or mail the additional information. So, that probably shaved about a weeks turn around time there.
That probably contributed to your speeding through more than anything. Well done!

JT

RiverRat
Posts in topic: 7

Post by RiverRat »

Congrats uglee please give us the Wallywalk report.
Thanks, we are all waiting for a chance......

Took class: 3/1/2008
Mailed app: 3/3/2008
Received pin: 4/29/2008......58 days
Processing app:.....still........76 days.....so far
Life member NRA and TSRA

Uglee

Post by Uglee »

Wally Walk Completed Tonight! :lol::

We assumed that you have already chose a proper holster, mag pouch (or suitable combination of substitutes) and cover garment and played dress-up in front of a mirror a couple of hundred times. But now, it is time to go live in the real world. It is time for you to go to WalMart!
Checked--Brought my wife, son and daughter for our weekly WW trip.

1) You must park your vehicle at least 50 yards from the entrance of a regular WallyWorld (75 yards for a SuperCenter.) As you head for the entrance, you must perform a scan of the area including checking under parked vehicles for BG's (Bad Guys.) Remember, grandma in an electric wheelchair is not a drive-by threat.
Checked--Parked midway out to keep my F250 Stroker from getting dinged up by shopping carts or other vehicles.

1A). Upon exiting car, surrepititiously adjust sidearm. Now don't touch it again unless your pants are about to fall off. Then tighten your belt.
Checked--Used an ankle holster...does this pass the test???

2) You MUST drive the shopping cart. No substitutes are allowed. Negotiating aisles full of screaming kids dropping cans of Chef Boyardee while Mom is on the cell phone and trying the latest Rosie O'Donnell Makeup & Fragrances is a good test of patience and self-control.
Checked--Yes...had to go get oil and filter for truck by way of Food Center entrance, still quite a few folks and kids out on a Friday evening!

3) No quickies! Your stay at WallyWorld must last no less than 45 minutes. You can hang out in automotive and even double check the Rapala lures to see what's new to kill an allotted rest time of 10 minutes. The rest of the time you must be on the move. An exception is made if you are with your significant other and she goes for the White Sale madness. You must park, wait and be ready to back your mate if things get hairy with the pillow throws or allergenic bedspreads.
Checked--Spent 1.5 hrs there shopping in all areas of WW!

4) You are gonna buy stuff so pick items from the top and bottom shelves to test your cover garment. Your mate can assist you and point out any deficiencies. If you are alone and store security or the cops have not arrived by the time you check out, you passed this test.
Checked--Not made out by anyone!

5) Check out: make sure you choose the busiest register. People will stand in close proximity and you must bear it with patience and avoiding contact. Beware of the people suddenly remembering a forgotten item and sending their mates to fetch it. They usually will brush against you on the way to get it.
Checked--Checkout Lane #14, Tobacco Sales...5 customers in front of me!

6) Meal Time! If your WallyWorld serves Nachos, go ahead and get yourself a big serving of the suckers and wash it down with a Sam's cola. If McD's is the choice at the premises, get fries, onion rings, apple pie and a large Coke. ALL MEALS MUST BE CONSUMED ON SITE! No To-Go's or you will be disqualified.
Checked--Had Soft Serve Ice Cream while kids had Chicken Nuggets H/Meals while wife continued shopping!

7) When you leave, repeat the scanning of the parking lot. Remember that now you are also dealing with a shopping cart that rattles like and old train and wants to go right all the time. Do not lose track of your surroundings because of this. If you have a car, open the trunk and introduce all your bags while facing outwards. Pick up Trucks: lower the tailgate and do the same. Keep scanning, you never know where the BG's might be.
Checked--WW bags faced outward...No BGs lurking around!

8) REMEMBER: Yellow lights = WallyWorld Security. Red Lights = Cops.
Checked--Only flashing light was the street sweeper truck cleaning the parking lot and a WW employee retreiving shopping carts with the Robocart!

9) - Make test fall on floor in busiest area - near register or anywhere crowded. See if concealment can still be maintained. If you lose that then go back to GO and do NOT collect $200
Checked--Actually fell in the books and magazine area trying to reach for a Cycle Magazine, everything stayed put however my bum is still a little sore! I may not be able to ride my Yamaha FJR1300 for an outing in Hill country! Not...can't miss a great day to ride my Farkle!

10) Restroom break (even if you don't have to go), go through the motions, figure out what your going to do with your gun, while sitting on the commode
Checked--No other shoppers around, only dropped jeans down to knees! All is well!

Passed WW Test! Now, I will ride my Farkle tomorrow and enjoy the backroads! :thewave

Signing Out! :patriot:
Ug-Lee

RiverRat
Posts in topic: 7

Post by RiverRat »

Cheers, Congrats again....Thanks for excellent report. :woohoo
Life member NRA and TSRA

Texasdoc
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Texasdoc »

Ok just checked the DPS website I am now just waiting on the mail man/woman to bring the plastic. its taken over 59 days to get my renewal complete.

time line

Feb.27 got packet
march 5 class
march 12 sent packet
march 13 dps received packet
may 17 checked DPS complete active.

anyone need a nice couch with soft pillows and ice chest filled with your favorite drink.
Shoot more,then Reload and Shoot somemore. Image

http://www.texasguntalk.com

waynev
Posts in topic: 9

Post by waynev »

Texasdoc, I'll take that couch if you don't mind. I'm at 73 days and it STILL says "Packet mailed to applicant. :mad5
Ben Franklin once stated that beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. I tend to agree with him.

lunchbox
Posts in topic: 16

Post by lunchbox »

:iagree:

on the 26th it will be 90 days :mad5
i need 2 ice chest full
"I have two guns. One for each of ya" Doc Holiday
"Out here, due process is a bullet."
"Why Johnny Ringo, you look like somebody just walked over your grave."
"forgiveness is between them and god its my job to arrange the meeting" man on fire

Texasdoc
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Texasdoc »

lunch box I ordered 100 pounds of ice for you and waynev, the right side has more padding, that makes it more comfy for long sitting times.
Shoot more,then Reload and Shoot somemore. Image

http://www.texasguntalk.com

lunchbox
Posts in topic: 16

Post by lunchbox »

its just depressing
and to make it worse i asked chas if we had any kind of recource and we realy dont

time to practice now that i have no job and no license
anyone looking to hire in south houston
"I have two guns. One for each of ya" Doc Holiday
"Out here, due process is a bullet."
"Why Johnny Ringo, you look like somebody just walked over your grave."
"forgiveness is between them and god its my job to arrange the meeting" man on fire

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”