"Waiting Room"

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

DParker
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Re: "Waiting Room"

Post by DParker »

Got my plastic yesterday, ~70 calendar days after mailing the paperwork.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 14

Post by The Annoyed Man »

DParker wrote:Got my plastic yesterday, ~70 calendar days after mailing the paperwork.
Congratulations! Mine took exactly 70 days too.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Plato
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Plato »

Mailed 3rd renewal materials 2/19
Stuck in "Processing Application" mode since 2/25

So I'm at 78 days and counting -Oh the Humanity :banghead:

Gandolf
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Gandolf »

DParker wrote:Got my plastic yesterday, ~70 calendar days after mailing the paperwork.
Day 64 for me... I guess I only have one more week..... Riiiiiiight! :???:
CCL Class: 1 March 08
Dropped off App to DPS: 10 March 08
Pin recieved: 2 May 08
Status: Application Complete! Awaiting Plastic after 122 Days

DParker
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by DParker »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Congratulations! Mine took exactly 70 days too.
Don't be too quick to congratulate me. I haven't done my Wally Walk, so it's not really official yet :mrgreen:
Plato wrote:Mailed 3rd renewal materials 2/19
Stuck in "Processing Application" mode since 2/25

So I'm at 78 days and counting -Oh the Humanity :banghead:
Which is really odd, since mine didn't transition from "Packet Received" to "Processing" until about 2-3 weeks ago. There doesn't seem to be any consistency, rhyme or reason to the times being reported.

BOHagan05-G23
Posts in topic: 4

Post by BOHagan05-G23 »

FINALLY..... PIN # came in the mail today. 68 days after check to TDPS cleared my account. :fire Now only 2 more months to go.

Uglee

Post by Uglee »

UPDATE: May 15, 2008----PLASTIC IN HAND!!!! :anamatedbanana

CHL Timelines:

Jan 28, 2008-Signed up online TXDPS CHL Application and CHL Class with Lonestar Handguns (Bass Pro Shop-SATX)
http://www.lonestarhandgun.com

Feb 02, 2008-Received CHL package and PIN number from TXDPS

Mar 01, 2008-Class completed at Bass Pro Shop (Recommend taking a CHL class where all processes are completed at one
location. Ex: Class, Paperwork, Fingerprinting, Photos, Notorary Service, Range Shooting)

Mar 03, 2008 Mail CHL package.

Mar 05, 2008 TXDPS Receives package. (Clock Starts Here)

Apr 23, 2008 (Day-49) Got an email notification from Mr. Galvan, TXDPS CHLB, that I had failed to provide necessary information in regards to active duty military application. In order for the military or retiree to obtain a free or reduced price special conditions, we must provide additional documents. I was able to scan/convert documents electronically and email them back same day. Therefore I save a few day for postage time and $$! Furthermore, Mr. Galvan also told me that it should not be too much longer, maybe a couple of weeks and I should have plastic in hand!

Apr 24, 2008-(Day 50) Status changed today from "Application mailed to applicant" to "Processing Application"

May 12, 2008-(Day 69) Emailed Mr. Galvan to inquire about my status and he responded back with ""I was able to issue your license this morning. It is in the mail. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance." His response came back almost immediately, is that cool or what? Maybe that was just a fluke that my CHL was just laying around on his desk and my email had prompted him to "Put it in the envelope and mail it out! Anyways I am just as happy!

May 13, 2008-(Day 70) Status online changed to "Application Completed - license issued or certificate active"

May 15, 2008-(Day 72) Plastic in Hand! Time to do the "Wally Walk!"

I hope you all get your CHL soon, I am out of here! Good Luck!

Best Regards,

UG-Lee :txflag:
"CHL Card" -- "Don't leave home without it...or your gun!!!"Uglee

randtx
Posts in topic: 2

Post by randtx »

I am on day 71. Timeline:

Feb 23, take CHL class
Feb 25, mailed packet
Feb 29, packet signed for
Mar 05, DPS official received packet (entered into system)
Mar 14 status changed to "Processing Application"
May 15 still "Processing Application"

I emailed DPS two (2) times without a response. I finally called, waited 22 minutes, a guy answers the phone with an attitude and says "I see your packet is being processed and that's all the information I have for you". The way the guy said it, it made me think they haven't even started the background check. If they had, he should have been able to tell me that. This is getting very frustrating.

Plato

Post by Plato »

Take heart folks, they are making progress :clapping:

After 81 days stuck in "Processing Application" mode, I just checked this morning and am now in "Application Completed - license issued or certificate active" mode -so hopefully I'll have fresh plastic by this time next week :hurry:

2/19 Mailed application materials
2/25 Online status "Processing Application"
5/16 Online status "Application Completed - license issued or certificate active"

:txflag: :txflag: :txflag: :txflag: :txflag:

tarbe
Posts in topic: 10

Post by tarbe »

Uglee wrote:UPDATE: May 15, 2008----PLASTIC IN HAND!!!! :anamatedbanana

Apr 23, 2008 (Day-49) Got an email notification from Mr. Galvan, TXDPS CHLB, that I had failed to provide necessary information in regards to active duty military application.

Where did it ever ask for a copy of the DD214?

I am quite sure I did not supply anything...I applied on-line and just cliked the Veteran box...never saw a request for any back-up. I figured they would verify as part of the background check.

Ooops? :biggrinjester:

Do I wait for an email??

Nervous in Houston...
Semper Fi!

Uglee

Post by Uglee »

tarbe wrote:
Uglee wrote:UPDATE: May 15, 2008----PLASTIC IN HAND!!!! :anamatedbanana

Apr 23, 2008 (Day-49) Got an email notification from Mr. Galvan, TXDPS CHLB, that I had failed to provide necessary information in regards to active duty military application.
Where did it ever ask for a copy of the DD214?

I am quite sure I did not supply anything...I applied on-line and just cliked the Veteran box...never saw a request for any back-up. I figured they would verify as part of the background check.

Ooops? :biggrinjester:

Do I wait for an email??

Nervous in Houston...

tarbe,

The DPS CHL relies verbally on CHL Instructor Training to brief the active/retired military and Veteran population. I would try to call and ask for the person who would be handling your application in order to electronically email your DD214. My case was handle on a personal basis due to a complaint that I had filed with the DPS CHL Division. Mr. Galvan emailed me directly with the letter that they normally send through mail. Note, you either wait for the letter via mail or hopefully they email you with letter stating what is missing. When you send your missing required information, you must attach a copy of the letter or email that they sent to you. Additionally, you must provide at least two forms of proof of military service. Front and back copy of your Military ID (Active or Retired), Leave and Earnings Statement, Current Military PSC orders, or for retirees or Veterans (DD Form 214). These requirements are not published or available anywhere (Website, Handbook, or the CHL Checklist). This is a foul that I pointed out to them, so they work the system for me personally. Good Luck!

Uglee

tarbe

Post by tarbe »

Two forms of proof is going to be impossible...I have been out nearly 30 years...all I have is a DD214.
Semper Fi!

mpbrown96
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mpbrown96 »

Tarbe, I sent in a copy of my DD214 and a copy of my honorable discharge certi. They never asked for anything else from me and according to the last person I talked to everything was fine. I am sitting at 88 days now and 100 since I mailed everything in.

Plato

Post by Plato »

Plato wrote:Take heart folks, they are making progress :clapping:

After 81 days stuck in "Processing Application" mode, I just checked this morning and am now in "Application Completed - license issued or certificate active" mode -so hopefully I'll have fresh plastic by this time next week :hurry:

2/19 Mailed application materials
2/25 Online status "Processing Application"
5/16 Online status "Application Completed - license issued or certificate active"

:txflag: :txflag: :txflag: :txflag: :txflag:
New fresh plastic in hand on Sat. 5/17 (mailed all application materials 2/19)

tarbe

Post by tarbe »

tarbe wrote:Two forms of proof is going to be impossible...I have been out nearly 30 years...all I have is a DD214.

I need to never again tease my wife about being a pack rat.

Not only did she find my DD-214, she also found my Discharge Certificate! :clapping:

Now I guess I wait for an email telling me I am an idiot :lol:

Tim
Semper Fi!

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”