Let's hear some updates!

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

ryoung
Posts in topic: 9

Re: Let's hear some updates!

Post by ryoung »

:idea: I have a theory about the length of time it takes to get the plastic. I think it's because each time one checks his status online, another day is added before the DPS may issue the certificate. A telephone call will cost you two days because it involves a person. You see, the DPS believes that one should not be so eager to get this license. If he is then it's possible he might be a little :crazy: or even :ack: :ack: . It's just a theory... :nono:
I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations. ~James Madison, speech, Virginia Convention, 1788

RY

iahkaferoaster
Posts in topic: 4

Post by iahkaferoaster »

If that were true, my great great grandchildren would be waiting for MY plastic :anamatedbanana

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 25

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

ryoung wrote::idea: I have a theory about the length of time it takes to get the plastic. I think it's because each time one checks his status online, another day is added before the DPS may issue the certificate. A telephone call will cost you two days because it involves a person. You see, the DPS believes that one should not be so eager to get this license. If he is then it's possible he might be a little :crazy: or even :ack: :ack: . It's just a theory... :nono:
I am about half afraid your right on some level. I could picture Simone pounding her chest as she decides to teach a person a lesson by making them wait longer. She gets angry about folks asking the status way to easy. In typical government worker fashion, she acts as though she is doing us a favor. They cry that people asking questions is slowing them down...which I believe is a lie...but they don't use the very system that was designed to alleviate unnecessary phone calls. If it is such a bother to them answering the phone while taking a smoke break, maybe they should get a pin out and update the status page on a daily basis.

I know one thing that would stop the messing around. If there was a law in place that they had to wait until the application is complete to cash the check, I bet it would take no longer than a month to get our plastic. As it is now, they have your money so they couldn't care less how long you wait.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

03Lightningrocks wrote:
ryoung wrote::idea: I have a theory about the length of time it takes to get the plastic. I think it's because each time one checks his status online, another day is added before the DPS may issue the certificate. A telephone call will cost you two days because it involves a person. You see, the DPS believes that one should not be so eager to get this license. If he is then it's possible he might be a little :crazy: or even :ack: :ack: . It's just a theory... :nono:
I am about half afraid your right on some level. I could picture Simone pounding her chest as she decides to teach a person a lesson by making them wait longer. She gets angry about folks asking the status way to easy. In typical government worker fashion, she acts as though she is doing us a favor. They cry that people asking questions is slowing them down...which I believe is a lie...but they don't use the very system that was designed to alleviate unnecessary phone calls. If it is such a bother to them answering the phone while taking a smoke break, maybe they should get a pin out and update the status page on a daily basis.

I know one thing that would stop the messing around. If there was a law in place that they had to wait until the application is complete to cash the check, I bet it would take no longer than a month to get our plastic. As it is now, they have your money so they couldn't care less how long you wait.
Actually, what I have heard is they read this forum and see who complains about it being slow and move them to the back of the stack. ;-) "rlol"

Yes, they have a problem, they have stated so, and are way behind the curve on processing. They need more staff, and like any corporation, apparently are having trouble getting it funded from above.

However, the more calls or emails they have to field does take time away from processing. Last year between September 1, 2006, and August 31, 2007 they processed right at 100,000 applications. That averages to about 365 applications a business day they approve/deny. Factor in they have to handle these application multiple times even with no errors, even more if they have to send back for those that do have errors, etc. The volume is pretty huge.

Now, if you multiply the number of applicants pending times an average of 2 calls or emails from each applicant during a 60 day window, that works out to be about 90 calls/emails they have to field AN HOUR! That for sure takes up at least 2-3 folks time.

I understand it is torture waiting, I felt the same while waiting on mine, but the best you can do is wait and if you haven't heard anything within the expected times, then contact them. Before that, let them focus on getting the applications completed.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Cuda

Post by Cuda »

I sometimes wonder if they lurk in here and are laughing their behinds off.

My update.

took class on feb 4th(missed the Superbowl who cares caught the last three minutes the best three)

sent packet on the 5th

DPS recieved on the 8th

no pin by mail

emailed sometime in late March got a pin

As of yesterday April 24th statuse changed to Application Completed - license issued or certificate active.
as I see it not to bad. Still under the 60 work day so I can't complain.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."

Jeff Cooper

dukesean
Posts in topic: 6

Post by dukesean »

Cuda wrote:I sometimes wonder if they lurk in here and are laughing their behinds off.

My update.

took class on feb 4th(missed the Superbowl who cares caught the last three minutes the best three)

sent packet on the 5th

DPS recieved on the 8th

no pin by mail

As of yesterday April 24th statuse changed to Application Completed - license issued or certificate active.
Arg that is 2 other people who had their licenses issued before me even though DPS received on the same day...oh well
-------------------------------------
Sean H.
NRA Life Member
TSRA

txtfp
Posts in topic: 10

Post by txtfp »

Since they were still waiting on my background check, I'm betting it'll be another 2 to 3 weeks for me :roll:
02/05/08 - Completed Class
02/06/08 - Mailed Packet
02/08/08 - Packet Received
03/03/08 - Received Pin - Processing Application
05/07/08 - Application Complete - 89 days

testersbc
Posts in topic: 3

Post by testersbc »

My update.

sent packet on the 5th

DPS recieved on the 8th

no pin by mail

cuda:
I took my class feb 2nd. mailed the forms feb 4th, recieved status of delivery feb 6th., check cleard bank feb 13th.. finally received pin in march and i am still waiting....

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 25

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Keith B wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:

Actually, what I have heard is they read this forum and see who complains about it being slow and move them to the back of the stack. ;-) "rlol"

Yes, they have a problem, they have stated so, and are way behind the curve on processing. They need more staff, and like any corporation, apparently are having trouble getting it funded from above.

However, the more calls or emails they have to field does take time away from processing. Last year between September 1, 2006, and August 31, 2007 they processed right at 100,000 applications. That averages to about 365 applications a business day they approve/deny. Factor in they have to handle these application multiple times even with no errors, even more if they have to send back for those that do have errors, etc. The volume is pretty huge.

Now, if you multiply the number of applicants pending times an average of 2 calls or emails from each applicant during a 60 day window, that works out to be about 90 calls/emails they have to field AN HOUR! That for sure takes up at least 2-3 folks time.

I understand it is torture waiting, I felt the same while waiting on mine, but the best you can do is wait and if you haven't heard anything within the expected times, then contact them. Before that, let them focus on getting the applications completed.
Yep...I picked up the "hint" in the last email I received. I am just chomping at the bit to call them but don't want to risk retribution. On the bright side, it gives me a reason to check the mail box every day. I plan to hang loose for a few more weeks. The math sure works out to be a bunch of calls... :eek6

BambooShoots
Posts in topic: 17

Post by BambooShoots »

Well, I certainly have no reason to complain.

I've just started week four (app sent 3/25/08).
CHL Class taken: 3/5/08
CHL Packet Sent: 3/24/08
CHL Packet Recieved by DPS: 3/25/08
Check Cleared: 4/1/08
PIN Number Recieved: 4/12/08
CHL Licence Issued/Active: 6/1/08
In the mailbox: 6/5/08
72 days.

1st Renewal
Online app.: 1/3/13
Class: 1/27/13
Mailed: 1/28/13
Paperwork received: 1/31/13

zx9rt1
Posts in topic: 5

Post by zx9rt1 »

25-April-2008. License is now in hand! Until next time.

Michael

grapeno1
Posts in topic: 14

Post by grapeno1 »

Im along with Bambooshoots, I turned mine in one day before him.

Im just going to sit back and have a couple :cheers2:

Grapeno1
02 Mar: Applied online
10 Mar: Recieved packet/Pin Number
24 Mar: Hand Delivered packet
22 Apr to Present: "Processing Application"
31 May: "Application Completed - license issued or certificate active"
04 June: Plastic in Hand.

Monkey404error
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Monkey404error »

Cuda wrote:I sometimes wonder if they lurk in here and are laughing their behinds off.

My update.

sent packet on the 5th

DPS recieved on the 8th

no pin by mail

COME ON. :mad5 :mad5 I sent mine in 2 weeks before you and I'm still proccessing. :rules: Waiting for my CHL and trying to study for finals is probably gonna kill me.
/end rant
I'm sorry, I feel better now. Well, I hope that mine come soon. At least its Fiesta here in SA, so i won't be bored waiting.
http://concealedcampus.org/index.htm
Students should also have the rights to defend themselves

lunchbox
Posts in topic: 16

Post by lunchbox »

its been 60 days now and no pin i havent called or emailed but i know it got there as i sent it certified mail :woohoo

but this is just about to drive me up the wall if they need more staff get more staff the funds are coming in to pay for it the back log is proof of that :deadhorse: once my card gets here i will be ready to rock :rock"
"I have two guns. One for each of ya" Doc Holiday
"Out here, due process is a bullet."
"Why Johnny Ringo, you look like somebody just walked over your grave."
"forgiveness is between them and god its my job to arrange the meeting" man on fire

BambooShoots
Posts in topic: 17

Post by BambooShoots »

Wow, compared to some of you guys I really don't have the right to complain. I've been (in)patiently waiting for only four weeks now.
CHL Class taken: 3/5/08
CHL Packet Sent: 3/24/08
CHL Packet Recieved by DPS: 3/25/08
Check Cleared: 4/1/08
PIN Number Recieved: 4/12/08
CHL Licence Issued/Active: 6/1/08
In the mailbox: 6/5/08
72 days.

1st Renewal
Online app.: 1/3/13
Class: 1/27/13
Mailed: 1/28/13