"Waiting Room"

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Lobo73
Posts in topic: 4

Re: "Waiting Room"

Post by Lobo73 »

Well, my status changed yesterday to "Application incomplete-missing information. Detail letter sent." Great, after sitting 52 days at "Packet Mailed to Applicant" (I pre-registered). Took class right before Christmas. Mailed 12/28. Received receipt confirmation 1/2/08. I called DPS and spoke with Simone who said I didn't sign my '"web form"? Also, asked her that when I sign and return, does process start over or somewhere in between. She stated I would start over. At this rate, I'll be 90+ days easy. I went home and looked at web form and there is no where where it asks for signature. I was only one in class that preregistered and instructor checked everyones packet. What went wrong?

OK, I figured it out. Page 4! Boy, do I feel stupid :banghead:
Before God I swear this creed: my pistol and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 14

Post by The Annoyed Man »

WOO HOO! I got my license in the mail today! The weird part is that I just checked online a minute ago, and again earlier this morning, and it still says that my application is being processed. But... I'm holding a license in my hand, mailed to me by "REGULATORY LICENSING SERVICE MSC 0245, TEXAS DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY." I'm going to take it that I've been approved.

Here's the sequence:
  • 12/8 - I take CHL class.
  • 12/10 - 2 days later, I send in all paperwork to DPS.
  • 12/14 - 4 days later, USPS confirms DPS receipt of my paperwork.
  • 1/23 - 39 days later, DPS sends me a letter asking for further information, because I was born outside of the U.S. of an American father and French mother. (My father had a job with an American construction company building an airfield in Casablanca, and I just happened to be born while they were living there. We moved back to the U.S. before I was 6 months old.)
  • 1/28 - 44 days later, I receive their letter and telephone them. They say that they have not done anything to process my application at all because of the "missing" info. They also tell me that my 60-90 day waiting period begins when they receive the additional information. :mad5
  • 1/29 - 45 days later, I fax to DPS the following items:
    1. a copy of my birth certificate, signed by U.S. Consul in Casablanca;
    2. a copy of my U.S. passport;
    3. a copy of my Texas driver's license;
    4. a copy of my SS card;
    5. a copy of their letter to me; and
    6. a fax cover sheet. On the fax cover sheet I asked that, since they had sat on my application for 39 days before even letting me know that they wanted additional information, could they please expedite processing it, now that their information was complete. I phoned them to follow up, and was told again that the 60-90 days begins with the receipt of the additional information.
  • 2/23 - license received in mail.
Total elapsed time - 70 days. Maybe they read my fax cover sheet and took pity on my pathetic disarmed condition... ...naaaaah, probably not.

Anyway, time to go for a Wally Walk. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Keith B
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Keith B »

Conratulations to everyone who are receivng thier plastic. Looks like they are really cranking them out lately. Man, the Wally World stores around Texas are gonna have a big run on nachos!! :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

ProudNativeTexican
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ProudNativeTexican »

I have started the "waiting game".

2/17 - I take CHL class.
2/22 - Being a busy week and working 11 hours a day it was Friday before I was able to mail my stuff. to DPS.
2/24 - Check USPS this morning, USPS confirms DPS receipt of my paperwork.

Now I will get to see how long it takes to get everything done. And give me some time to research what my carry piece will be.
ML
"Act your wage" (Dave Ramsey)

CHL Class-2/16-17/08
Paperwork submitted-2/22/08
Application received by DPS-2/25/08
PIN received - 4/17/08
Processing application - 4/18/08
Application Completed - license issued or certificate active - 5/7/8
Received Plastic - 5/10/08

Lobo73

Post by Lobo73 »

OK, I'm back. Hope my seat didn't get cold. Received letter yesteday from DPS with form I forgot to sign. Signed, made copies, sent it back via registered mail with letter as instructed in self addressed envelope provided . Lady at PO said it would go out last night. Should have receipt confirmation back by end of week :waiting: :waiting: :waiting:
Before God I swear this creed: my pistol and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.

camjr

Post by camjr »

1/5/08 -- took the class from Graybeard
1/25/08 -- mailed packet certified
1/28/08 -- DPS signed for packet
2/28/08 -- No PIN yet, e-mail sent with additional identifying information
Hopefully getting closer........

camjr

Post by camjr »

Response from DPS via e-mail this morning (noting they received the application a month ago...):

Your application has not been entered into the system. It is likely going though the processes required before entry. When a completed application is entered you will be sent a confirmation letter with your PIN number.

Patiently waiting... :totap:

Jon_Davie
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Jon_Davie »

camjr wrote:Response from DPS via e-mail this morning (noting they received the application a month ago...):

Your application has not been entered into the system. It is likely going though the processes required before entry. When a completed application is entered you will be sent a confirmation letter with your PIN number.

Patiently waiting... :totap:

I just did the exact same thing, and got the same reply!!
Course Completed 1/19
Application Mailed 1/22
Pin # Received 3/26
Plastic recieved 4/19

Jon_Davie
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Jon_Davie »

:waiting:
Course Completed 1/19
Application Mailed 1/22
Pin # Received 3/26
Plastic recieved 4/19

tryan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by tryan »

Howdy,
As my first post I will give my timeline.

Jan 12 - Completed the CHL course.
Jan 15 - Application in the mail. (I did not send it via Certified Mail, but since I sent a money order, I was able to check the date that that the money order was cashed.)
Jan 25 - Money Order cashed

Feb 25 - I sent an email to see if a PIN had been issued yet. Same response as others got: "Your application has not been entered into the system. It is likely going though the processes required before entry. When a completed application is entered you will be sent a confirmation letter with your PIN number."

March 14 - Another email sent. This time I got a PIN back! Also, later that day I checked the mail and the letter with the PIN had arrived that day!

Now, status is "Processing Application". Hopefully if will move along well from this point.
:cool:
Jan 12 - Completed the CHL course.
Jan 15 - Application in the mail.
Jan 25 - Money Order cashed
March 14 - PIN received

As of April 28, "Application Completed - license issued or certificate active"

“Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought.” -H. Bergson

gduncan52
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gduncan52 »

I wish this forum had been available when I first applied in the the first rush back in 1996. I took the class in Sept of 1995. They began actually issuing and mailing the CHL's in Jan. of '96. Got mine that Jan. However, it was only a 2 yr one. So, to share some experience I've had dealing with this great system, I can only say, please do not put off getting your first packets off and paid for and then getting your renewals complete and off ASAP. Since I got that first CHL I have not had even one day that my CHL was not in effect. I have always been prompt in getting my classes scheduled and double checked and then double checked the packets again before mailing.Sent all registered mail. Never had a problem.

Ultamatule
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Ultamatule »

I am right on 85 days. Still no plastic. I am also new here.

12-17-07 - Packet Received
12-19-07 - Took Class
12-21-07 - Packet Mailed to State
02-17-08 - Status Changed to "Packet Mailed to Applicant"
03-02-08 - Status Changed to "Processing Application"
03-20-08 - Call to DPS, guy said waiting on License to be printed. Said I should have it in two weeks. Finally.

That is a long freaking time. :banghead:

nedmoore
Posts in topic: 1

Post by nedmoore »

Ultamatule, long wait, any reason given for the delay?

Ultamatule
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Ultamatule »

When I call the CHL line nobody really has an answer as to why it has taken so long... So who knows...That is just the state for you. And I am sure the folks processing the Apps are not the most motivated people around. So they take their time doing paperwork.

Lobo73

Post by Lobo73 »

Ultamatule wrote:I am right on 85 days. Still no plastic. I am also new here.

12-17-07 - Packet Received
12-19-07 - Took Class
12-21-07 - Packet Mailed to State
02-17-08 - Status Changed to "Packet Mailed to Applicant"
03-02-08 - Status Changed to "Processing Application"
03-20-08 - Call to DPS, guy said waiting on License to be printed. Said I should have it in two weeks. Finally.

That is a long freaking time. :banghead:
Here's another long wait........

Preregistered in Oct 2007
12-22-07 - Took Class
12-28-07 - Packet Mailed to State
12-31-07 - Receipt confirmation
02-20-07 - Status changed to "Application incomplete - missing information - detailed letter has been sent."
02-25-07 - Detail letter received. Returned with info same day via registered letter.
02-27-07 - Receipt confirmation
03-11-07 - Status Changed to "Processing Application"

In our case, this ain't the "Waiting Room", it's the "Morgue"!

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”