"Waiting Room"

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 14

Re: "Waiting Room"

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I've just telephoned DPS and spoke with someone there as to what the missing materials are. I was born overseas, at Casablanca in Morocco, of an American father and French mother. DPS wants me to fax them proof of those things. The odd thing is, I recall no instruction saying that I would need to provide those things at the time that I filled out and sent in all the other information back on 12/10. Had I known, I would have included those things with my other materials. Anyway, the letter was sent on Tuesday, so I'll likely receive it today. I have to fax them a copy of my birth certificate, proving that I was born an American, a copy of my American Passport, and some other document that she didn't specify but will be listed in the letter.

I told her that I mailed in my stuff on 12/10 and that I know they received it on 12/14, and asked if this was the one remaining thing to be covered before they issue the license. She said no, that they hadn't even started my background check yet since these items were "missing" from the materials I sent in. I then asked her how much longer it would then take, assuming I could get that stuff faxed off to them today, and she said about another 30 days.

I appreciate that they need to be thorough, but what I don't understand is how a month and half could go by with my application just sitting there unattended to before they deigned to let me know I needed to send in more stuff. Why didn't somebody let me know that additional paperwork was needed back in mid to late December?

Friggin' gummint! :mad5
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

ammo two
Posts in topic: 10

Post by ammo two »

Well, that's no good. Hopefully the delay won't be too lenthy.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 14

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Update:
  • 12/8 - I take CHL class.
  • 12/10 - 2 days later, I send in all paperwork to DPS.
  • 12/14 - 4 days later, USPS confirms DPS receipt of my paperwork.
  • 1/23 - 39 days later, DPS sends me a letter asking for further information, because I was born outside of the U.S. of an American father and French mother. (My father had a job with an American construction company building an airfield in Casablanca, and I just happened to be born while they were living there. We moved back to the U.S. before I was 6 months old.)
  • 1/28 - 44 days later, I receive their letter and telephone them. They say that they have not done anything to process my application at all because of the "missing" info. They also tell me that my 60-90 day waiting period begins when they receive the additional information. :mad5
  • 1/29 - 45 days later, I fax to DPS the following items:
    1. a copy of my birth certificate, signed by U.S. Consul in Casablanca;
    2. a copy of my U.S. passport;
    3. a copy of my Texas driver's license;
    4. a copy of my SS card;
    5. a copy of their letter to me; and
    6. a fax cover sheet. On the fax cover sheet I asked that, since they had sat on my application for 39 days before even letting me know that they wanted additional information, could they please expedite processing it, now that their information was complete. I phoned them to follow up, and was told again that the 60-90 days begins with the receipt of the additional information.
This is just stupid. I don't care anymore. If I get it, I get it. If I don't, I don't. I'll just do whatever I have to do, whenever I have to do it, and DPS can go hang.

I have a rant brewing here, but I'm going to pass on it.

Does it show that I am "The Annoyed Man"?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

ammo two

Post by ammo two »

They've had my packet since the end of December. Mailed it on Dec 20th, receipt confirmation on Dec 27. Passing the 45 day mark now and I haven't heard anything yet, not even a PIN. Granted there have been a few holidays during this time......the long wait.

MrsFosforos
Posts in topic: 3

Re:

Post by MrsFosforos »

MrsFosforos wrote:We gave my daughter her first handgun for her 25th birthday a couple of weeks ago. She took her CHL class today and will be sending her packet in on Monday! She'll be here in the waiting room soon!
Good grief! She submitted her paper work right after her class last Sept - but had to resend after they returned it in November because she left off a signature somewhere. It was in her mailbox today & she's finally out of here!

longtooth
Posts in topic: 13

Post by longtooth »

Good deal. I am glad to see another lady accepting responsibility for her safety.
Prowd of your daughter & I know you are even more.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

ammo two

Post by ammo two »

That's great, good for her. They sent me a letter yesterday, seems the pictures that my instructor took and that I sent in with the packet are not up to standard. Now to get them retaken and sent back in.
Last edited by ammo two on Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rgraham541
Posts in topic: 1

Post by rgraham541 »

Can I take a stab in the dark and guess that if you received your PIN# that you have passed a pre-screen and your application is good to be processed?

57 days and waiting.
N5RAG
Many problems of modern society cannot be solved by laws and
the legal system because moral behavior cannot be legislated.

ammo two

Post by ammo two »

New letter in the mail today from DPS, fingerprints are no good. Now I'm beginning to get ANNOYED, not with DPS but with the instructor....maybe was new and it was his first class?!? :confused5 :headscratch :mad5

LarryH
Posts in topic: 6

Post by LarryH »

Don't feel bad. Our grand-daughter needed to get her fingerprints taken as a part of finishing nursing school. The school strongly recommended the students use a particular facility for the prints. Hers have been rejected twice; she just had the third set taken yesterday.

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

The DPS recieved my and my wifes renewal application on Nov. 28. I received my new card in the mail 72 days later.

My wife is still waiting. When she called last week they said the card was damaged when they received it back from the manufacturer and they had to get it remade. They hoped to send it out this week and for her to receive it next week.

That will be 83+ days for a renewal. :grumble I thought my 72 days was bad.

Jon_Davie
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Jon_Davie »

I worry about all of these fingerprinting stories. At the place I took the course they used a scanner and a computer, then printed the fingerprint cards out. Has anyone else had this or did you have to use ink?
Course Completed 1/19
Application Mailed 1/22
Pin # Received 3/26
Plastic recieved 4/19

Keith B
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Keith B »

Jon_Davie wrote:I worry about all of these fingerprinting stories. At the place I took the course they used a scanner and a computer, then printed the fingerprint cards out. Has anyone else had this or did you have to use ink?
Welcome to the forum Jon_Davie.

From what I have heard, the scanners seem to do a better job of fingerprinting. Did you get to see the finished card? If they were nice and crisp and well defined like the ones below then you should be fine.

Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Jon_Davie
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Jon_Davie »

Thanks for the welcome!! The prints looked very clear to me, I guess because of the wait I am just obsessing over any little thing that can go wrong. Tomorrow makes 1 month!!
Course Completed 1/19
Application Mailed 1/22
Pin # Received 3/26
Plastic recieved 4/19

rangerpat

Post by rangerpat »

I checked the website this morning and there it was.....Application completed. License issued!!!!!

Come on mailman, I leave for Iraq Wednesday morning. I need to do my wally walk before I leave to do my Baghdaddy walk!
Feb 15th-Application Completed. License issued!!!!!
Feb 1st-Processing Application
Jan 16th-Application in Austin
Jan 15th-Mailed Application
Jan 12th-Took CHL Class
Dec 4th-recieved application and pin
Nov 27th-completed online application

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”