"Waiting Room"

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

z_g_yang
Posts in topic: 2

Re: "Waiting Room"

Post by z_g_yang »

I believe also it's a manual update process.
I think I'm a exception, my background check is finished on 6/28, and shows "print pending" since then, Still no update till today 7/18 almost 3 weeks.
jayfin wrote:Just wanted to put some random thoughts together based on some of the questions I had (and those of others that I read) as I went through this process. Hopefully it will be of some help to those that are going through it. Others please chime in if I misstate or misremember something. These statements are in no way meant to criticize the folks at the DPS. We all have quirks and I'm sure all of the companies we work for have plenty that we have to work through daily.

Application process - not much variance here. I don't really recall many posts of folks with issues on this part.

Document submission - my instructor recommended to my class that we "fax" supporting documentation in and that it would be quicker. Others mailed theirs in and it seems as if most used the electronic submission on the website. Honestly I couldn't see any correlation if one method was better than another.

Confirmation email - Some folks, myself included, never got one. Those that did, got it anywhere from the same day to several days later. Again, there was not a clear cut correlation here with total wait time.

Fingerprint and Background check - HUGE variation here. Some folks sailed right through in days and others, like myself, spent weeks on that status.

Once the above are all green, the cycle of "print pending", "mailed", etc. are anyone's guess on how long until you have plastic in hand. Some folks got their permit the same day status changed to mailed and others took a day or more for each step.

My assumption is that the system they are using has a somewhat manual status updating process. I would guess that they make updates through a "batch" method where a bunch are queued up and someone has to go in and manually update each app process. Just a guess, though.

Bottom line is that, although in general, they have done a great job in reducing the processing time, there is still a good deal of variance in the process. Mine took right at 45 days. If memory serves, I believe I remember seeing times ranging from 13 days to 115 days. I guess my point is, don't make yourself crazy, it'll get there when it gets there.

Thanks to all those that participate on this board, great community for sanity check :)

mupepe
Posts in topic: 19

Post by mupepe »

YES!

7/8 - Class Completed
7/9 - Application Submitted
7/11 - Fingerprints complete, CHL 100 Submitted
7/19 - Background Check Under Review

I never received the receipt of materials confirmation email. But I'm happy to be seeing progress!

eric_mtx
Posts in topic: 5

Post by eric_mtx »

Online App: 6/21/16
Fingerprints: 6/29/16
CHL-100 submitted: 6/29/16
LTC Supplemental Documents Confirmation: 6/29/16
License to Carry A Handgun - Print Pending: 7/15/16
License to Carry A Handgun - Mailed: 7/19/16

Yal2016
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Yal2016 »

I have been reading everyone's comments and i finally have time to write my timeline here.

Application submitted: 2/18/16
Fingerprints complete: 2/21/16
Supporting documents, including class and proof of identity: 3/7/16
Additional documents submitted (charges dismissal documents): 6/16/16
Status changed to all green except for Background Check and Printing.

Called them last week and they stated the application looks in good shape and I should expect the license issued in a couple of days.

I will be calling in again this week as it's been way over 120 days since the submission of the application. :rules:

JuMan254
Posts in topic: 8

Post by JuMan254 »

My all in was the May 14th
Confirmation email was on May 16th
Ive been stuck on Finger print and background since June 2nd.....
When I called they told me they had an additional 60 days past the 6 weeks to for background check...

bull Meter was officially full... going to email someone congressman, senator, chuck norris or whatever it takes

mupepe
Posts in topic: 19

Post by mupepe »

Whoa! I feel so blessed!

7/8 - Class Completed
7/9 - Application Submitted
7/11 - Fingerprints complete, CHL 100 Submitted
7/19 - Background Check Under Review
7/20 - Background Check Complete, Print Pending

OkieBrian

Post by OkieBrian »

JuMan254 wrote:My all in was the May 14th
When I called they told me they had an additional 60 days past the 6 weeks to for background check...

bull Meter was officially full... going to email someone congressman, senator, chuck norris or whatever it takes
Just nuts. How can a NICS take Academy 5-10 minutes but the gubment six weeks???

Kevo
Banned
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Kevo »

OkieBrian wrote:

Just nuts. How can a NICS take Academy 5-10 minutes but the gubment six weeks???
That's what I'm sayin.. this is nuts

Raf
Posts in topic: 27

Post by Raf »

I've been all in 14 days now

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Pawpaw »

Kevo wrote:
OkieBrian wrote:

There is a vast difference between a NICS check and the LTC background check.

Similarly, there is a vast difference between the LTC background check and a real background check (officially called a "background investigation") for a security clearance. The latter WILL take six to twelve months and scare the ever loving snot our of all your friends. :tiphat:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

eric_mtx
Posts in topic: 5

Post by eric_mtx »

Online App: 6/21/16
Fingerprints: 6/29/16
CHL-100 submitted: 6/29/16
LTC Supplemental Documents Confirmation: 6/29/16
License to Carry A Handgun - Print Pending: 7/15/16
License to Carry A Handgun - Mailed: 7/19/16
License to Carry A Handgun - Plastic in Hand: 7/20/16

21 days from all in.

aztxman13
Posts in topic: 16

Post by aztxman13 »

Pawpaw wrote:
Kevo wrote:
OkieBrian wrote:

There is a vast difference between a NICS check and the LTC background check.

Similarly, there is a vast difference between the LTC background check and a real background check (officially called a "background investigation") for a security clearance. The latter WILL take six to twelve months and scare the ever loving snot our of all your friends. :tiphat:
pawpaw without going into too much detail (as I am assuming its quite lengthy) do you happen to know what is looked into during a LTC background check? Can what is done even be posted? I am curious as to what is looked at. I imagine quite a few things are looked at but I can only speculate.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that … it is their right and duty to be at all times armed; … " Thomas Jefferson letter to Justice John Cartwright, June 5, 1824. ME 16:45.

jbdunn82
Posts in topic: 6

Post by jbdunn82 »

I know that i have seen some people in here that have gone over 100 days for their license. Are you guys counting Business Days or all days?

Dates:

4/14/16 - All documents recieved
6/03/16 - Called and they said that it is definitely being looked at by techs. They reassured me they are within the 60 Business day Time Frame.
6/15/16 - Website changed to Fingerprints and Background Under Review
7/21/16 - Called and I get hung up on after IVR states they will still have everything under mandated statutes. :rules:

I have bought multiple handguns ( Legally at stores, Cabelas, K-5 Arms, etc.) Nothing on my NICS. I have not received anything in the mail stating an extension or the legal 180 days more is necessary. Any Advice? :banghead:
Last edited by jbdunn82 on Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Pawpaw »

I don't have details, but Charles has told us before that our fingerprints are sent to the FBI as part of the background check. That alone tells us that there is more to it than a simple NICS check.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

OkieBrian

Post by OkieBrian »

jbdunn82 wrote:I know that i have seen some people in here that have gone over 100 days for their license. Are you guys counting Business Days or all days?
I'll be 90 calendar days in tomorrow for my renewal. Well over the 45 business day statue.

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”