Newbie with questions

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Lauren3323
Posts in topic: 5

Newbie with questions

Post by Lauren3323 »

Hello everyone, it's my turn to wait. My timeline is as follows:

Submitted application online- 8/16
CHL Class- 8/18
Fingerprints- 8/19
Shipped all documents overnight- 8/19
Verified delivery confirmation w/USPS- 8/20

I had to mail in all of my stuff because while I am a TX resident, I have an out-of-state drivers license (military) so I had to ship passport photos. My question is this- I see many people say they received a confirmation email from DPS saying that they received all of the documents. The only confirmation email I have gotten is immediately after I submitted the online application saying they received it and that same email included the checklist of supporting documents needed. It's only been three business days since my documents were delivered to DPS, but I'm worried about not getting that confirmation email. Most people I've seen timelines for got a confirmation email the next day, but I'm thinking maybe their documents were sent electronically. In the meantime I will spend lots of quality time at the range and at home practicing my draw. Thanks in advance for any info, and I look forward to joining this elite group!

BulldogBorders
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Newbie with questions

Post by BulldogBorders »

I'm a newbie myself, playing the waiting game and constantly checking the website for updates. I believe they only send an email when documents are sent to them electronically, it looks like an automated response that comes back.
NRA Benefactor Life Member - Join the NRA
http://membership.nrahq.org/default.asp ... d=XR019416

Topic author
Lauren3323

Post by Lauren3323 »

Awesome, thank you!! I can't help but notice your username. I have two English Bulldogs! It's comforting to know that we don't have to go through this wait alone!

BulldogBorders

Post by BulldogBorders »

My nickname is from long ago, I'm stocky and broad like a bulldog, I just don't drool like one =)

BulldogBorders

Post by BulldogBorders »

And the waiting is killing me. I'm not known to be the most patient of people when it comes to waiting for something I really want.

My timeline is as follows;

07/20 - submitted online app

07/22 - fingerprints done

08/01 - took class

08/03 - emailed docs, received confirmation

08/03 to 08/20 - wore out the online status page

08/20 - called in and the nice lady who answered stated "it is done, we just need to print your card and send it out"

08/21 - online status page still not updated, but I sure am stalking the mailman.

Called again on 08/24 - was told again they're just waiting to print the card and send it out and it could be another week or two.

I'm still wearing out the status page, hasn't updated yet...

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

Lauren3323 wrote:Awesome, thank you!! I can't help but notice your username. I have two English Bulldogs! It's comforting to know that we don't have to go through this wait alone!
We've got a couple of bullies as well. Welcome to the forums.

Javier730
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Javier730 »

BulldogBorders wrote:I'm a newbie myself, playing the waiting game and constantly checking the website for updates. I believe they only send an email when documents are sent to them electronically, it looks like an automated response that comes back.
Don't bother checking updates. You can complete the whole process without having your status change. I personally was checking the mailbox everyday sometimes even multiple times in one day. Practice carrying at home until it gets there.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

Eric Lamberson

Post by Eric Lamberson »

My application status never updated. Recent experience with CHL students indicates that the "no update" situation is fairly common. As suggested earlier, practice carrying at home. The license will arrive in due time.
Massad Ayoob Group Staff Instructor, NRA Life Member, Pistol instructor, and RSO;
Texas LTC Instructor, IDPA 6-gun Master, Suarez International Affiliate

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Welcome to all of the Newbies. There is a wealth of information on here.
A few words of advice from one thats been there and done that long ago:
(1) Use the time waiting to carry around the house. This will accomplish 2 things, 1. get you comfortable carrying and 2. lets you see what will work and what doesn't.
(2) Don't keep checking the DPS website--It will drive you insane and from what we are hearing now, they don't update until after the plastic is mailed.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
Lauren3323

Post by Lauren3323 »

Now I'm getting a little worried. I called today hoping to hear that it's done and just needs printing, but instead she said none of my documents have been loaded into the system yet and they are probably somewhere in the building. I asked her if I could upload them online and she said they do not want people submitting their stuff twice and that I should call back next week and see if they've started processing. Uggggghhhhhhhh!!!!

lildave40

Post by lildave40 »

Lauren3323 wrote:Now I'm getting a little worried. I called today hoping to hear that it's done and just needs printing, but instead she said none of my documents have been loaded into the system yet and they are probably somewhere in the building. I asked her if I could upload them online and she said they do not want people submitting their stuff twice and that I should call back next week and see if they've started processing. Uggggghhhhhhhh!!!!

Be patient and read read read! Also practice carriyng at home. I have heard some people go as fast as 3 weeks and some like me where it took months.

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

Patience - the state has 60 days to issue or not issue and let you know. I started my process in April of 2009, back then the state was overloaded and I received a letter at or near 60 days saying I forgot to sign something - so my 60 days started over - I received my plastic in late August or early September.
NRA Life Member

Topic author
Lauren3323

Post by Lauren3323 »

Status change on website today!!! Can't wait to check the mailbox!!! 14 buisness days from reciept of SNAIL MAIL to status change!! YAY!!! :thewave

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

Lauren3323 wrote:Status change on website today!!! Can't wait to check the mailbox!!! 14 buisness days from reciept of SNAIL MAIL to status change!! YAY!!! :thewave
Grats!

Topic author
Lauren3323

Post by Lauren3323 »

Plastic arrived yesterday just as expected! Thanks for supporting me during the wait everyone! Defensive pistol class this weekend, right on time!

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”