Starting the Process

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
rytchard
Posts in topic: 5

Starting the Process

Post by rytchard »

After much consideration and thought I decided to proceed with obtaining a CHL. I submitted my application last Saturday and am scheduled for fingerprints the same day as my CHL class on Saturday 08/29/2015. Before then I just need to scan my DD-214 and I should have all (documents) ready on that day as well. As a footnote, I was pleasantly surprised that honorably discharged veterans paid much less for the application. It is nice after all of these years to receive a perk for service!

This forum has a lot of great information and I have spent a lot of time reading/lurking if you will

Well, that's it for now. Just wanted to drop in and say hello. Will post more as events transpire. Note: One thing I know I have in common with many of you...waiting is not my best talent either!

Semper Fi!
:iagree:

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Starting the Process

Post by Taypo »

Welcome to the forums!

The wait definitely sucks, but its like having a second Christmas when that plastic finally shows up.

tomtexan

Post by tomtexan »

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service! :tiphat:

The time will pass quickly and you will be another armed Texan before you know it.

Congrats! :cheers2:
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

Topic author
rytchard

Post by rytchard »

Thanks for the welcomes! Well, like I said earlier I took the class Saturday. What was supposed to be a 1:00pm - 6:00pm class didn't end until 8:15pm. Ugh. I had already done a lot of reading and research so to be honest most of the class content I was already aware. I did find it boring a lot of the time as the instructor felt compelled to "read" Texas law throughout. Notwithstanding, I completed the written test in minutes (it was pretty darn easy) and then finally time to fire.

I have to share something that made me uneasy. Towards the end of the class one older man asked the question "what kind of guns are we going to be shooting today?" What? I thought. He didn't own a gun or at least decide which rental he would use? Well lucky me, this man was shooting next to me on the firing line. He fired off sequence and command and had to be corrected as to how to hold the firearm on several occasions. I'm sorry, not to be a snob, but being within 3 feet of someone with a loaded firearm who obviously does not know how to use it I find very concerning.

Anyway, despite the distraction, I enjoyed the range quals and was happy to complete the course and receive my CHL-100.

That night, I was anxious to get my documents uploaded. However, I do not have a scanner at home. Being the inpatient person that I am I took a photo of my CHL-100 with my Iphone, converted it to a *.pdf and uploaded my DD-214, checklist, and CHL-100 to RSD at the DPS.

So at this point am anxiously awaiting for an email confirming that they received my documents and then my countdown can begin.

Swoops1

Post by Swoops1 »

I have to share something that made me uneasy. Towards the end of the class one older man asked the question "what kind of guns are we going to be shooting today?" What? I thought. He didn't own a gun or at least decide which rental he would use? Well lucky me, this man was shooting next to me on the firing line. He fired off sequence and command and had to be corrected as to how to hold the firearm on several occasions. I'm sorry, not to be a snob, but being within 3 feet of someone with a loaded firearm who obviously does not know how to use it I find very concerning.

I had a young guy in my class, didn't bring a fire arm and rented one. Missed the target, I mean the ENTIRE target 14 times. The instructor told he needed to really practice a bunch before he came back for a retake. It is scary to think. Of course we drive on the road everyday with licensed people that can't drive.

Topic author
rytchard

Post by rytchard »

Timeline and countdown now begins:

08/17/2015: Completed online CHL application
08/29/2015: Fingerprints completed
08/29/2015: CHL Class completed
08/29/2015: Submitted documents online
09/01/2015: Confirmation email received that documents received

It looks like from recent posts that the average wait is between 2-3 weeks without anything out of the ordinary to delay that. I would welcome any and all comparisons especially anyone on or about my dates.

Thanks!

Lauren3323

Post by Lauren3323 »

Swoops1 wrote:I have to share something that made me uneasy. Towards the end of the class one older man asked the question "what kind of guns are we going to be shooting today?" What? I thought. He didn't own a gun or at least decide which rental he would use? Well lucky me, this man was shooting next to me on the firing line. He fired off sequence and command and had to be corrected as to how to hold the firearm on several occasions. I'm sorry, not to be a snob, but being within 3 feet of someone with a loaded firearm who obviously does not know how to use it I find very concerning.

I had a young guy in my class, didn't bring a fire arm and rented one. Missed the target, I mean the ENTIRE target 14 times. The instructor told he needed to really practice a bunch before he came back for a retake. It is scary to think. Of course we drive on the road everyday with licensed people that can't drive.
I had a similar experience in my class. The instructor asked if anyone was shooting a revolver to qualify and evryone said no. The instructor verified again and said so everyone has a semi-auto and everyone said yes. Well when we got out to the firing line the guy next to me pulled out a revolver! I was like oh crap this guy clearly has no idea what he's doing. It made me a little uneasy shooting next to him and I swear a few of his shots shanked my target. Either way, I passed and he failed.

Topic author
rytchard

Post by rytchard »

Well, at least your guy hit your target! LOL It's behind me now and I am glad it is over. My imagination goes wild sometimes and I over-think things sometimes. It just made my shooting less enjoyable than it usually is. If it wasn't the CHL class I would have probably went and taken a break until the shooter I was uncomfortable with was done.

Laxman5

Post by Laxman5 »

Thank you for your service.

My timeline for comparison:

8-11-15 CHL application
8-13-15 fingerprints
8-15-15 CHL class, submitted docs
8-17-15 received confirmation email
8-18-15 Headed to Alaska for 2 weeks so I don't think about the wait.
9-3-15 Called in and they said it was approved and going to printing

So 13-14 business days to approval. Shouldn't be long until the plastic. So the 2-3 week time frame seems to be spot on right now.

bortaz
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bortaz »

My timeline is similar to yours. Last piece (prints) was sent on August 18, and I got the status change on the website today.

We had a guy in my class that had never seen a gun in real life before walking into class. The instructor didn't let him attempt to qualify, told him he'd need to take a class or something to become familiar with a firearm before he'd qualify him.

Topic author
rytchard

Post by rytchard »

Good to hear! It looks like I might have around 10 more days or so (or more of course) then!

Sounds like your instructor did a "good thing" for everyone that day! :iagree:

bortaz
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bortaz »

Just FYI, my license was in the mail today, the same day the status changed on the site. I didn't do a wally walk, but I ate dinner at Luby's lol.

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”