Sizing Photos & Graphics

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Mithras61
Posts in topic: 1

Sizing Photos & Graphics

Post by Mithras61 »

I've noticed that many folks here put up some HUGE graphics & photos.

So big in fact that in many cases they do not fit on my screen, and I run at 1280x1024 on a 19" monitor.

I'm bringing this up because I was curious what the rest of y'all use to resize your photos & such.

I currently use two packages:

- Roxio's Media Manager for my personal photos
- TechSmith's Snag-It for working with screen shots

Both of these packages are easy to use (and Snag-It's even inexpensive), but I know there are many others out there.

So, what image manipulation software do you use?

casselthief
Banned

Post by casselthief »

I use ImageShack to host a picture, and use the "resize image" function, to which I resize to 200x300 megapixels, so it fits the screen.
it's so easy a caveman could use it (insert Geico commercial)...

propellerhead

Post by propellerhead »

casselthief wrote:I use ImageShack to host a picture, and use the "resize image" function, to which I resize to 200x300 megapixels, so it fits the screen.
it's so easy a caveman could use it (insert Geico commercial)...
Me too. I let ImageShack handle the resizing. They even provide you with the text to past into your message board post for the image.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Hammer and chisel: I use Photoshop to directly mess with the image (firearm photos I've left at about 500 pixels wide), and stick the images on my own Webserver.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

kw5kw

Post by kw5kw »

I have found this free program that really works well. It even allows you to merger two or more picturest together to make one for a thumbnail.

Russ

http://www.irfanview.com/
Russ
kw5kw

Retired DPS Communications Operator PCO III January 2014.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

kw5kw wrote:I have found this free program that really works well. It even allows you to merger two or more picturest together to make one for a thumbnail.

Russ

http://www.irfanview.com/
I have them all but to either view or resize nothing beats irfanview. It actually does a better job of resizing than Photoshop. and it loads very fast for viewing.

BradGroux

Post by BradGroux »

A little known free feature of Windows XP (and now Vista) is the fact that you can right-click on any image and resize it in Windows in just a few seconds. It takes about 10 seconds to install and 5 seconds to learn how to use it (the feature is included in Vista).

Read about it HERE and download the free powertoy install HERE.

Will

Post by Will »

Microsoft Paint. Open image with paint, click "image" then "stretch/skew".

Then you can choose percentage of reduction for vertical and horizontal.
(I usually select 33% of an image from my 4MP sony. seems to work well on forums.)

Then save as new name or save over original image.

Its free, its easy, and acceptable quality loss.
-Will

tfrazier

Poor Microsoft Peasants! -An Olive Branch from Mr. Linux

Post by tfrazier »

Images I use are hosted on my blazing fast 64bit Linux server.

If anyone out there has anything really interesting to post but no place to host their images from, I can put it on my server for you and send back the link you need to insert. I have 2 TB of space sitting here, most of it doing nothing. I'll even resize it for you. Just don't expect it to happen immediately. Turn-around will depend on how busy I am with work and how many you guys send me.

I use Gimp to resize photos and stick to 400x600 pixels or less when posting an image in-line. Aside from promoting CHL, I am also spreading the gospel of Linux and open-source. I stopped giving Microsoft my money back in 2001.

Where are my Linux geek brethren on this forum?

HankB

Post by HankB »

casselthief wrote: . . . I resize to 200x300 megapixels, so it fits the screen...
Must be a mighty big screen (or have incredibly fine resolution) if your picture sizes are on the order of hundreds of megapixels. :shock:
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

LedJedi

Post by LedJedi »

Adobe Fireworks and Photoshop.

killerquad

Post by killerquad »

I will second (or third?) Irfanview. It is a great program, small, fast, and free.
"The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

fnewendaiku

Post by fnewendaiku »

photoshop here. I have a macro for resizing photos. Can get through about 100 photos in about 5 minutes. Macros in photoshop are sooooo good for those repetitive tasks like that.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

tfrazier has hit the nail on the head mentioning The GNU Image Manipulation Program, or The GIMP. Its powerful, Its free (Open Source), Its Free (to download and use), and there is even a windows port of it. Its often compared to Photoshop even though they as different as a Glock 21 and a 1911 (They do they same basic thing, but achieve it differently).

BTW tfrazier can count me as a fellow Pistol Packing, Linux Loving, Texan.

kingpinxB

Post by kingpinxB »

this is the easiest program out there... it's a power toy for windows XP. it adds a menu when you right-click on an image and gives you a dialogue as to how large you want your images(640x480, 800x600, 1024x768)... it's free and official microsoft.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... ySetup.exe

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”