Dillon 650XL or 550B

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
thatguy
Posts in topic: 2

Dillon 650XL or 550B

Post by thatguy »

I am looking at a Dillon 650XL or 550B. Which one would you chose and why??

Thanks,

Brian

what are you prepared to do...??
In the endless pursuit of perfection, we may achieve excellence.

Texas LTC and School Safety Instructor and NRA Training Counselor

fulano

Re: Dillon 650XL or 550B

Post by fulano »

Good question. I'm considering the Square Deal. I'm going to bookmark this thread.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they don't want to hear." George Orwell 1903-1950

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

When I was shopping the same two presses, I had the same thought...

After running through how each worked, I went with the 650, the auto indexing sold me.

Good luck!
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

CWOOD
Posts in topic: 1

Post by CWOOD »

fulano wrote:Good question. I'm considering the Square Deal. I'm going to bookmark this thread.
Something to consider regarding the Square Deal (SDB). The SDB is, by all accounts an excellent unit but is somewhat limited in its application. It is for straight walled handgun cartridges ONLY.

If you have any intention of also loading rifle cartridges, you will not be able to do so with this unit.

Also, be aware that dies are relatively expensive and ARE NOT of a standard size (7/8" X 14). The only dies that will work are those specifically made for this particular press. Other Dillon dies will not work.

If you have a need to reload a fairly high volume (up to 350/hour) of a specific handgun cartridge this might work well for you. If you want to reload for several different calibers, it can be relatively expensive for caliber conversions (about $100 each). Also if you have any intention to reload any NON straight walled handgun cartridges like .357Sig or ANY rifle cartridges like .223 etc., you will not be able to do it with this press.

Here is a link to Dillon's selection guide:

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/custom ... oader.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, Brian Enos has a website with some excellent information on Dillon products. He states that he almost always recommends the RL550B over the SDB for a first progressive loader, and then gives the reasons. You can see is site at:

http://www.brianenos.com/store/dillon.sqdeal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope you find this useful.

fulano

Post by fulano »

CWOOD wrote:
fulano wrote:Good question. I'm considering the Square Deal. I'm going to bookmark this thread.
Something to consider regarding the Square Deal (SDB). The SDB is, by all accounts an excellent unit but is somewhat limited in its application. It is for straight walled handgun cartridges ONLY.

If you have any intention of also loading rifle cartridges, you will not be able to do so with this unit.

Also, be aware that dies are relatively expensive and ARE NOT of a standard size (7/8" X 14). The only dies that will work are those specifically made for this particular press. Other Dillon dies will not work.

If you have a need to reload a fairly high volume (up to 350/hour) of a specific handgun cartridge this might work well for you. If you want to reload for several different calibers, it can be relatively expensive for caliber conversions (about $100 each). Also if you have any intention to reload any NON straight walled handgun cartridges like .357Sig or ANY rifle cartridges like .223 etc., you will not be able to do it with this press.

Here is a link to Dillon's selection guide:

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/custom ... oader.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, Brian Enos has a website with some excellent information on Dillon products. He states that he almost always recommends the RL550B over the SDB for a first progressive loader, and then gives the reasons. You can see is site at:

http://www.brianenos.com/store/dillon.sqdeal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope you find this useful.
Thanks for the link. This is the kind of infor I was hoping to find.

I've been looking at Craigslist to get an idea of the availability and how well they hold their price. I've found that some people have a SDB for each of the cartridges they load since they go for $275/250 used. That gets away from the issue of setup and cost for different calibers. It seems a bit much to me.

I've got a single stage press so I'm covered for rifles. It is a Hornaday L&L. It was a replacement/upgrade for a very old Lee press. I've had buyer's remorse since I bought it. I should have bought a progressive instead.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they don't want to hear." George Orwell 1903-1950

jason237m
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jason237m »

I've owned both a 550 and 650. If you want a single press for loading many calibers (including rifle) then get a 550, hands down.

If you are loading pistol only, want faster output, and rarely change calibers then I would suggest the 650.

I load 9mm, .45, and occasionally .223 and use a 650 with a brass and bullet feader. It has its share of required trouble shooting that any machine with many moving parts would have, but overall the 650 works great for me.

Gyrogearhead
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Gyrogearhead »

jason237m wrote: I load 9mm, .45, and occasionally .223 and use a 650 with a brass and bullet feader.
Jason, where did you get your bullet feeder? I didn't know Dillon offered one as I didn't see it in the last catalog. I've always thought this would be the next excelent acessory they should make and have been eagerly awaiting its arival someday.

Gerry
"With atomic weapons, as in many other things, knowing what to do isn't nearly so important as knowing what NOT to do." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer, 1946

Wisdom comes from reading the instructions. Experience comes from not reading them!

jason237m

Post by jason237m »

Dillon does not offer a bullet feeder, but 3rd party feeders fit the Dillon presses-

I have the RCBS bullet feeder that I got for free..

https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/MainSe ... uctId=6100" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It took me a long, long time to get it working correctly, but now it's working perfectly for me. I had to add a potentiometer to control the speed, after that it works great.

I would suggest getting this one if you really want a bullet feeder:
http://www.mrbulletfeeder.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gyrogearhead
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Gyrogearhead »

Hi Jason,
Many thanks for the links to the bullet feeders. My hobby piggy bank hasn't recovered yet from my excursion into casting lead boolits so it's going to be a little while before I can spring for one of these.

I'd be interested to hear how you got your RCBS unit for "free". :bigear:

I got my RL-550b "for free" via the expedient of offering a fellow "antiques" dealer $500 for all the reloading stuff at an estate sale. There was enough stuff to fill my van to the roof. :shock: The folks at the estate sale were very happy not to have to deal with it peace-meal since they only knew what it was in general terms.

I kept the 550b and its accessories, the Dillon 2001 vibratory case cleaner, a shoe box full of primers and two bankers boxes of cans of powder along with a few other odds and ends. The rest I sold on Ebay for around $1,300.00 in round numbers over the next six weeks. :anamatedbanana

Yes, it is still possible to find a "Rembrandt" in granny's attic if you just keep on looking.

Anyway, thanks again for the info.

Gerry
"With atomic weapons, as in many other things, knowing what to do isn't nearly so important as knowing what NOT to do." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer, 1946

Wisdom comes from reading the instructions. Experience comes from not reading them!

jason237m

Post by jason237m »

Gyrogearhead wrote: I'd be interested to hear how you got your RCBS unit for "free". :bigear:
The company I worked for at the time gave me a stack of Cabella's gift cards, I guess I had been working too much and they felt sorry for me...

dozerboy

Post by dozerboy »

I went with the 550 because of its versatility.
These views expressed on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated computer gibberish and in no way should be used to judge the author's IQ or mental health.

HankB

Post by HankB »

After trying a buddy's 550, I bought an SDB because of the auto indexing . . . I use it only for reloading straight wall pistol cases (.45 ACP, .38/.357, and .44 Mag) and it does that very well.

If I were to buy a press today, it would be the 650 . . . but seeing as my SDB has the undeniable virtue of being paid for long ago, I'll just make do with it . . .
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

Houston1944

Post by Houston1944 »

Reloading for me is one of those hobbies you build on for many years. If you plan to be a long time reloader then do not look at what a 650 with 5 or 6 caliber setup will cost you today. Start with one or two calibers and grow from there. Almost all reloading equipment will last you a lifetime so starting with what you once hoped to end up with is the best way to go if possible.

I switched from a 550 to a 650 over 10 years ago. Since then I have added the case feeder and caliber setups as needed and as money allowed. I would bet very few of us started reloading by spending $2,500 plus for equipment. Most people start and added as the months and years go by. Don't forget to include either a single stage or Turret press if you plan to load rifle or large handgun calibers in small quantities. I started many years ago with a Lyman Nutcracker, then moved up to a Rockchucker. Today the Rockchucker sits in storage while I reload on a 650 and a Redding T7.

Topic author
thatguy

Post by thatguy »

I have purchased a Dillion 650 with an electric case feeder. I do not anticipate getting out of the shooting business anytime soon so I stepped up and made the investment (actually it is my Father's Day and Birthday present combined) but it's all good.

Now how and where to mount it is the question? I thought about mounting to a plywood bracket then holding it down with a Workmate portable bench but that does not seem stable enough. Any ideas on how to make it portable or am I better off just building a permanent bench?
In the endless pursuit of perfection, we may achieve excellence.

Texas LTC and School Safety Instructor and NRA Training Counselor

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

Any ideas on how to make it portable or am I better off just building a permanent bench?
Its probably doable, but I'd recommend a permanent bench.
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

Return to “Reloading Forum”