45 ACP

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
txn1911
Posts in topic: 3

45 ACP

Post by txn1911 »

I'm sure these question have been answered some place else, I couldn't find. Thinking about getting into reloading and have a few ?'s
first dumb question; how do you tell the difference between SPP and LPP?
Second dumb question; are they interchangable, looks like no.
Lastly, what are some general recomendations for powder and primers for 45 ACP for full size 1911?

Thanks for helping the new guy :tiphat:

threoh8
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 45 ACP

Post by threoh8 »

Disclaimer: I do not load maximum-effort loads in .45 ACP. I have other firearms for that. I have loads to approximate the feel and point of impact of my (factory JHP) carry loads, and kinder-gentler mid-range economy loads for teaching new shooters and for general shooting.
txn1911 wrote: ... how do you tell the difference between SPP and LPP?
Calibrated eyeball, or use a primer pocket cleaning tool as a Go gauge.
txn1911 wrote: ... are they interchangable, looks like no.
Mostly, but not quite. You might want to sneak up on max loads originally developed with one type of primers when switching the load to another type - small or large, standard or magnum, etc. You'll want to sneak up on the maximum loads in your loading manual, anyway. Someone else's max might be beyond yours.

I keep those with small pockets segregated until I get enough for a batch.
txn1911 wrote:... what are some general recomendations for powder and primers for 45 ACP for full size 1911?
I only use standard pistol primers in .45 ACP. My loads have not proven overly sensitive to particular brands of primers. However, some priming tools are apparently brand-sensitive.

.45 ACP isn't particularly finicky about powders. I've done most of my reloading for this cartridge with Bullseye, Unique, WW231, and Universal Clays. I'd have used more, but each of those has given me good results. If it ain't broke ...
The sooner I get behind, the more time I have to catch up.

Topic author
txn1911

Post by txn1911 »

Thanks for the info.

mr surveyor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mr surveyor »

I cull all the small primer pocket .45 acp brass.... not enough of them around here yet to worry about keeping them

I use standard large pistol primers and mostly Unique and AA#7. If they cycle well in my old 4# Kimber with a heavy mainspring, they'll work in most any .45 acp pistol
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

mr surveyor wrote:I cull all the small primer pocket .45 acp brass.... not enough of them around here yet to worry about keeping them
I ended up with 750 pcs of small primer .45 ACP cases, out of about 3750 pcs total. Seemed to run about 20%. At 750 pcs, that is enough to make it worthwhile. Ended up selling to someone who wanted to simplify their calibers and load small primer in all of them.
mr surveyor wrote:I use standard large pistol primers and mostly Unique and AA#7. If they cycle well in my old 4# Kimber with a heavy mainspring, they'll work in most any .45 acp pistol
Personally, I was not a fan of Unique or AA #7. There are so many modern powders that meter reliably like metering water, I see no point in using a poor metering powder like Unique.

As far as AA #7, it is almost the opposite end of the spectrum. The powder is so fine is sifts down everywhere. Which is fine, I didn't really care about the mess. I didn't continue using it because I got smaller groups and less recoil from Universal Clays, W231, Ramshot True Blue, Bullseye, and Clays.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Don2

Post by Don2 »

Jumping Frog wrote:
mr surveyor wrote:I cull all the small primer pocket .45 acp brass.... not enough of them around here yet to worry about keeping them
I ended up with 750 pcs of small primer .45 ACP cases, out of about 3750 pcs total. Seemed to run about 20%. At 750 pcs, that is enough to make it worthwhile. Ended up selling to someone who wanted to simplify their calibers and load small primer in all of them.
mr surveyor wrote:I use standard large pistol primers and mostly Unique and AA#7. If they cycle well in my old 4# Kimber with a heavy mainspring, they'll work in most any .45 acp pistol
Personally, I was not a fan of Unique or AA #7. There are so many modern powders that meter reliably like metering water, I see no point in using a poor metering powder like Unique.

As far as AA #7, it is almost the opposite end of the spectrum. The powder is so fine is sifts down everywhere. Which is fine, I didn't really care about the mess. I didn't continue using it because I got smaller groups and less recoil from Universal Clays, W231, Ramshot True Blue, Bullseye, and Clays.

That is what I was planning on doing, but I rarely go to a shooting range..(gotta LARGE back yard ;-) where I have targets and steel set up for the shooting I do )
I'm in no big hurry to collect spp 45auto's...Just when I do it would be easier to load with one primer size in pistols until I get my 44mag revolver I hope..!

Don2

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

I load .44 mag too, so I keep lpp's on hand anyway.

As for metering, I only load (at most) 100-200 at a time anyway and scale weigh each charge, so I'm not too worried about metering issues. Since I load a lot more revolver rounds than I do rimless rounds, I keep Unique, AA#7, 2400 and TrailBoss available. No doubt there are "better" powders for the .45 acp than what I'm using, but since I'm not a high volume shooter I use what's available.
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

Topic author
txn1911

Post by txn1911 »

Thanks to everyone, and thanks George for the dimentions :txflag:

airboss

Post by airboss »

Along those same lines:

I'm in the middle of doing my first batch of 45 ACP.
I did not know that 45 ACM can have large or small primers. For the record, roughly 150 out of roughly 400 are small primer.

In the future, I will certainly keep them separated!

The new Speer manual addresses this somewhat on page 966-967, the only thing it really says is that a small primer *may* produce slightly less pressure.

Hmm. So is it OK to use the identical powder charge in either (large primer or small primer) case, or charge one slightly more than an other?

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

airboss wrote:Hmm. So is it OK to use the identical powder charge in either (large primer or small primer) case, or charge one slightly more than an other?
Standard loading practice for just about any caliber is to start the powder charge about 10% under the maximum charge, and gradually work up from there, looking for the typical signs of pressure.

Well, you are not going to see any signs of pressure in .45 ACP unless things have really gone horribly over the maximum, since .45 ACP is such a low pressure cartridge anyway.

But it is still good practice in .45 ACP to start under the maximum charge and gradually work up your load. Simply treat the small primer and large primer cases as two entirely separate loads and work up your charges independently, starting well under the maximum.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

airboss

Post by airboss »

Thanks very much.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

AndyC wrote:.... - much to the annoyance of reloaders, who now have to cull out these small-primered cases manually.
Lately, small-primered .45 brass is up to about 25% of range pickup brass. It started with NT ammo, but has now spread since it is a cost savings to the ammo companies.

grevengrevs

Post by grevengrevs »

So far I have only come across about 10-15 pieces of 45 brass that use SPP at our local range. They get tossed in a small bucket until I can get 50 then I will load them up.
Happily serving in the USAF.

Return to “Reloading Forum”