Started reloading "again" today

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Seabear
Posts in topic: 1

Started reloading "again" today

Post by Seabear »

I decided against the Lee 1000 mainly because Cabelas was out of it when I was up in Austin a couple of weeks ago. I eneded up with a late night Ebay win of a Dillon SDB in 9mm and a conversion kit for .45acp. Not a horrible deal, but almost an ARI.

It arrived and I proceeded to change it over to 45 since that was my main goal. First snag was both cups and plungers were for small primers. Second snag, no clip for primer pick up tubes. Third snag is aparently even though it looks to be in GREAT shape, the powder measure had a cracked cup (nothing black tape can't handle) and it only has one failsafe arm/lever. In other words the worst part is it dumps powder every pull even without a case in the station. Oh well, live and learn...should have bought new/current.

After converting over, ran a couple rounds through and the bullets were loose . Tinkered and re-tinkered and finally ended up with what I think will work. The instructions say to turn the crimping die down till you feel resistance, but I feel resistance all the time. Have to turn it with a wrench, so I am sure I missed something,

So for the good news. I went with a load I saw here or on my other favorite forum. 4.2 grains Titegroup under a 200 gr lswc. My twist is since I din't have the cup and plunger for the large primer, I used the Federal Brass I had saved that uses the small primer. I loaded up six and went to run errands for my CHL class tomorrow and ran by the range to check on my classroom. While there I fired a few factory WWB and then the 6 handloads <alll through my S&W 625> The laod seems dirtier than I expected, maybe because of the small primer. However, it was very sweet to shoot. Minimal recoil, like light .38 loads. Should work great shooting steel. I loaded up 24 more to try after I teach class tomorrow. We'll see how they do in a more controled setting. LOL

Any suggestions as to the crimping die adjustment?

Over all I am tickled. Took longer than I thought to adjust, but I got it,.....I think. LOL :patriot:
Carry safe and carry when and where you can. I'm just sayin'.

OldCannon

Re: Started reloading "again" today

Post by OldCannon »

Titegroup is about in the middle of the road when it comes to residue overall, but I'd say it's easily better than almost any commercial load.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

RiverRider

Post by RiverRider »

You might consider giving Dillon a jingle and tell them about the deficiencies in the set-up you've just purchased. I don't know how far they'll go to get you squared away on their own dime, but they have a reputation for outstanding customer service. There was a story going around many years ago about a guy who found a Dillon press in a dump in horrible shape and missing parts, and Dillon had him send it in. When he got it back it was completely refurbed, complete, and at no charge. It might be worth your time to call 'em.

Gyrogearhead

Post by Gyrogearhead »

:iagree:

You'll find the folks at Dillon mighty helpful. I got my 550b at an estate sale for free after I sold off most of the other stuff I bought at the estate sale. Called Dillon for an instruction book and spare parts and guidance in setting it up and it ran like a top first try.

I also load 200gn LSWC but I use 5.0gn Bullseye and CCI 300 large pistol primers in a 4.5"bbl. There is little fouling and the recoil is easy to handle. Also, Bullseye being a very fast burning powder there is almost no flash at night. I was using AA#7 to begin with and it lit up the entire range at night like a flash bulb.

Gerry
"With atomic weapons, as in many other things, knowing what to do isn't nearly so important as knowing what NOT to do." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer, 1946

Wisdom comes from reading the instructions. Experience comes from not reading them!

Return to “Reloading Forum”