Posts in topic: 1

Steal cases

Post by KaleS »

Can steal cases be reloaded?

Keith B

Re: Steal cases

Post by Keith B »

KaleS wrote:Can steal cases be reloaded?
Depends on who you steal them from and if they want them back before you get them reloaded! :lol:

Actually, my experience for reloading STEEL cases is no. Their metal properties don't lend themselves to expansion and contraction like brass. They will weaken and fracture more readily. This also goes for aluminum.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

I have heard of people annealing them with a blowtorch and getting one or two reloads out of them, but it isn't a practice that I would recommend.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Don't attempt it without carbide dies, or you'll find yourself with a hopelessly stuck case, and/or damaged dies.

Yes, it can be done. But unless you're dealing with an unusual caliber whose only source of cases is Russian milsurp, it's not going to be worth the effort.

ShootingStar

Post by ShootingStar »

Even if you managed to do it without damaging your dies, you will still have Berdan cases that are very difficult to deprime and require a special tool. I'm also pretty sure that Boxer primers won't work in a Berdan case.

-ss
A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for lunch. A Republic is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the decision. - Benjamin Franklin

SRVA

Post by SRVA »

I have to side with the people who say it is not worth the trouble. Steel is not as resilient as brass, it is really hard on the dies, and it has to be coated to prevent rust and sticking in the chamber. Pick them up with a magnet and throw them in the trash.

Return to “Reloading Forum”