CHL holder killed by police in Las Vegas at a Costco

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

jester
Posts in topic: 3

Re: CHL holder killed by police in Las Vegas at a Costco

Post by jester »

Maybe Las Vegas is like Chicago. "The policeman isn't there to create disorder. The policeman is there to preserve disorder."
"There is but one correct answer...and it is best delivered with a Winchester rifle."

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

jester wrote:Maybe Las Vegas is like Chicago. "The policeman isn't there to create disorder. The policeman is there to preserve disorder."
Off topic I realize, but I'm curious. Why do you have a copyright symbol in your signature line?

Chas.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 32

Post by Beiruty »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
jester wrote:Maybe Las Vegas is like Chicago. "The policeman isn't there to create disorder. The policeman is there to preserve disorder."
Off topic I realize, but I'm curious. Why do you have a copyright symbol in your signature line?

Chas.
He is a jester, most likely joking. :biggrinjester:
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

WildBill
Posts in topic: 57

Post by WildBill »

Bill Scott, Erik's father posted an article questioning the handling of the security video from the scene.

http://erikbscott.com/blog/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by WildBill on Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 59

Post by seamusTX »

WildBill wrote:Who will go to jail for suppressing and/or altering evidence that is absolutely critical to exposing the truth about Erik Scott’s brutal slaying?
We don't seem to have a <snork> emoticon.

Tom Sawyer did not have enough whitewash for this job, and even Stonewall Jackson didn't have enough rocks.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Purplehood »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
I am guessing that it is because of his Avatar showing Copyrighted items.

EDIT:
On the topic of the Fathers letter regarding the cover-up by Metro and Costco and his assertion that the company stock is going to tank, I think he is overly optimistic. The average Costco shopper is just like millions of other apathetic Americans that are not going to care about what happened there since it didn't happen to them.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

gregthehand
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gregthehand »

I'm guessing the reason why they sent the video data to another crime lab is to avoid accusations that they covered something up to protect their own intrests. This is why often times small police agencies around Texas will call in the Texas Rangers to investigate one of their own. Also I have seen them use Federal Forensic labs over local or state. Again to avoid any accusations of tampering.
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

92f-fan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 92f-fan »

One article I read said that Costco ins required the video to be stored in 2 places - One off site ...
If thats true
Why havent they just used that copy ?

Hard drive recovery is very expensive but very reliable - They should be able to recover the video, IF thats the goal

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 27

Post by Excaliber »

92f-fan wrote:One article I read said that Costco ins required the video to be stored in 2 places - One off site ...
If thats true
Why havent they just used that copy ?

Hard drive recovery is very expensive but very reliable - They should be able to recover the video, IF thats the goal
They could easily have copied the relevant video onto a CD or portable hard drive with the on site equipment at the Costco store if they wanted to. This would have eliminated the issue with trying to find the relevant data without the system's database that indexes stored video to time and camera stamps as it appears they're now trying to do.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

I wrote to Costco:

Note this message was submitted through the costco.com web site customer suggestion page on 08/24/2010 11:25:46 PST

As a Costco member, I am troubled by the recent shooting death of Erik Scott at a Costco in Las Vegas recently.
There are unanswered questions. It appears that Costco management is withholding information from the public.

I chose Costco because your corporate culture agreed with much of the way I conduct my affairs.
This episode appears to be contrary to both.

Costco should immediately release the 911 recordings and the surveillance video to the public.
----------------------------
Dear [me],

We appreciate you taking the time to email Costco Wholesale.

Your feedback has been forwarded to the Executives for their review. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us.

Thank you,

Beth
Costco Wholesale Corporation
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Costco doesn't control the 911 recordings, and the cops confiscated the hard drive of their video system. I see rivers of whitewash coming from the police department.

The only response that you are going to get, if any, will be along the lines of
This is a legal matter that is being handled by our counsel.
I work for a big company, and the company has an explicit policy that only a few officially designated people can speak on behalf of the company. Anyone else running his mouth or sending unauthorized e-mail is going to leave skid marks as he is thrown out.

- Jim

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

I didn't expect any sort of answer.
I know they have to err on the side of caution for legal and PR reasons.
But they do have decisions to make, and a little input from customers might help them make the right ones.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Hoi Polloi
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Hoi Polloi »

If they get enough pressure from customers and stockholders, they can put political and social pressure on others who can make things happen. While it won't be a direct cause and effect of telling them to release them and them doing it, it can play a significant role in the eventual release.
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;
reformers in the morning, conservers at night. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Rex B wrote:I didn't expect any sort of answer.
I know they have to err on the side of caution for legal and PR reasons.
But they do have decisions to make, and a little input from customers might help them make the right ones.
I agree with you.

Costco and the cops are trying to bury this incident. It needs to be kept front and center. Mr. Scott's parents seem capable of that. The phrase "you messed with the wrong Marine" comes to mind, except he was army.

- Jim

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 16

Post by Oldgringo »

seamusTX wrote:
Costco and the cops are trying to bury this incident. It needs to be kept front and center. Mr. Scott's parents seem capable of that. The phrase "you messed with the wrong Marine" comes to mind, except he was army.

- Jim
It's not only the cops and Costco that want this incident to go away. Any and all who derive income from tourism in Vegas want it to go away. That would also include any media that receives advertising money to promote the place.

Return to “Never Again!!”