Shots fired in Mopac road rage incident

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

A-R
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Shots fired in Mopac road rage incident

Post by A-R »

lkd wrote:have their sources of testosterone removed.
Is that what's happening to the kitty in your avatar, ikd?

"rlol"

A-R

Post by A-R »

Oldgringo wrote:walking around with a loaded gun is a serious decision burdened with increased responsibilities requiring maturity and good judgement.
:iagree:

Very well put, oldgringo. I'm currently putting together PowerPoints for my CHL classes .... would you mind if I stole this line from you? I can only pay you in compliments, but I'll buy the coffee and your first range target if you ever get to Cedar Park :thumbs2:

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

austinrealtor wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:walking around with a loaded gun is a serious decision burdened with increased responsibilities requiring maturity and good judgement.
:iagree:

Very well put, oldgringo. I'm currently putting together PowerPoints for my CHL classes .... would you mind if I stole this line from you? I can only pay you in compliments, but I'll buy the coffee and your first range target if you ever get to Cedar Park :thumbs2:
I'm flattered that anyone would take my babblings seriously. :cheers2:

BB 09
Posts in topic: 1

Post by BB 09 »

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/man ... 44356.html

The article I read in the Statesman online shows he shot both of the tires on the right side...but he was aiming for the driver? It sounds to me like someone has watched too many action movies. I believe we are not getting the entire story from either party involved or the media.

Bart

Post by Bart »

psijac wrote:The guy with the CHL needs to lose his license, the other guy needs to lose his drivers license
For the same length of time and no hardship licenses. Maybe a 1 year suspension will make them both think twice.
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

austinrealtor wrote:
lkd wrote:have their sources of testosterone removed.
Is that what's happening to the kitty in your avatar, ikd?

"rlol"
:lol: He's actually saying "OMG! Bacon!" (full size pic attached...can be found on one of those lolcat sites)

For the record, it's "LKD" not "ikd" -- it's an abbreviation of "LetsKillDave" which is my gamertag pretty much everywhere and my relatively defunct blog (although if you want to see how to disassemble a Steyr AUG A3, it's got a great collection of reference pics :cool: ). I've asked the admins if they could change it to upper case so that people don't get confused, but I think I didn't bribe them properly :smilelol5:
Attachments
omg_bacon.jpg
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Hoi Polloi

Post by Hoi Polloi »

1. This is the perfect example of why you shouldn't talk to the police after you shoot. He thought he was perfectly fine and covered by the law. His own stupidity is what got him. He should have simply said he feared for his life and shut up. Then they would have heard the other idiot saying he was intentionally antagonizing him and his attorney would have responded with the rest.

2. I recall a thread here not too long ago arguing about a guy coming toward you while you're in your car and he's in his. There was all sorts of discussion on if you should or would shoot for being in fear for your life with some arguing it was justifiable. This seems to be the closest to real life, and in this situation we even know that the other driver was antagonizing while in the thread that wasn't known. I think it shows exactly what the police and the public will think of using deadly force with your gun when you are inside your car and have not exhausted every other possibility.
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;
reformers in the morning, conservers at night. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bennies

Post by Bennies »

I experienced almost the same exact situation on woodlands parkway oneday. I was in the right lane and this guy pulls up about a foot or two from my bumper and hangs out although the left lane wAs empty. I gave a little tap on my brakes( and I do mean just a small tap not a slam) so the guy would give me at least a car lenght of space if not the proper following distance. The guy goes ballistic, speeds around me and infront, and then proceeds to slam on his brakes repeatedly. He gives me the bird and tries to slow me. I don't know if he was going to try and force me off the road or what his intentions where. This is where my story differs from the op. I was carrying and Wanted to avoid confrontation so I exited at grogans mill at the very last second where he could not have followed as he was infront of me. Scary. I should have called 911 and kick myself to this day for not doing so. People are nuts!
GOA member
NRA member
TSRA member
Glock 23 w/Crossbreed Supertuck

pedalman

Post by pedalman »

BB 09 wrote:http://www.statesman.com/news/local/man ... 44356.html

The article I read in the Statesman online shows he shot both of the tires on the right side...but he was aiming for the driver? It sounds to me like someone has watched too many action movies.
Unfortunately, these action movies are misconstrued as training videos by such fools. He obviously was not thinking about where his rounds would go when he missed.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Bennies wrote:I experienced almost the same exact situation on woodlands parkway oneday. I was in the right lane and this guy pulls up about a foot or two from my bumper and hangs out although the left lane wAs empty. I gave a little tap on my brakes( and I do mean just a small tap not a slam) so the guy would give me at least a car lenght of space if not the proper following distance. The guy goes ballistic, speeds around me and infront, and then proceeds to slam on his brakes repeatedly. He gives me the bird and tries to slow me. I don't know if he was going to try and force me off the road or what his intentions where. This is where my story differs from the op. I was carrying and Wanted to avoid confrontation so I exited at grogans mill at the very last second where he could not have followed as he was infront of me. Scary. I should have called 911 and kick myself to this day for not doing so. People are nuts!
First, the CHL in this case was an idiot. To your point about road rage, I had a similar incident. We were in the RV and I "lightly" tapped the air horn on our RV when a car beside us came very close to a collision with our vehicle. As she pulled up near the front, she had both hands on her cell phone on the top center of her steering wheel, was apparently driving with her elbows and was all over the road, doing 60mph in heavy traffic all the time. The horn must have set her off because she started flipping me the bird, changing lanes in front of me and slamming on her brakes. I'll never understand why a person driving a sub-compact wants to pull those kind of stunts with something that is nearly the size of semi. I changed lanes several times, trying to get away from her but there was no way that I was going to out run her and there wasn't any place to exit. It was difficult enough trying to avoid a collision that I didn't even get a license number. We considered 911 but because of the traffic, decided that it probably won't help

Our daughter is a police dispatcher. She reports that it is something less than 20% of the time that they have an LEO close enough to a cell phone reported road rage incident in motion to even try to do anything about it. She works in the Mid-Ciites so jurisdiction plays a part in whether they send units. It appears to me that the best and safest action is to get off at the first possible opportunity and stop, letting the LEOs come to me, assuming that the road rage person is still attempting to engage.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

stash

Post by stash »

seniorshooteress wrote:
jester wrote:
lkd wrote:Maybe he slept through that part of the CHL class?
As discussed in several recent threads, there seem to be a few instructors who don't teach the full curriculum.
Okay, so maybe he didn't have a good instructor but there are DVD's, books, etc that can teach you stuff. Like the Armed Response DVD's. No excuse not having a good instructor. IMO Also just common sense gets you a long way.

Forget about instructors, DVD's, books,etc. To me, common sense would dictate that you do not do what this guy did. After all people carrying in their vehicles under the MPA did not have instructors and may not know the laws re deadly force but you would hope that common sense would prevail for most of them in an incident such as this one.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

5thGenTexan

Post by 5thGenTexan »

Most of these idiots like the target, begin life "messing with people" while still very young. The problem is no one held them accountable and they get worse over time. This one may have had an aha moment, but judge still should pull his DL for a year.

That being said the dunce with the CHL definitely needs his ticket yanked, some jail time, court mandated anger management classes and a hefty fine. Driving down a road with dozens of other innocent people firing from a moving vehicle at a moving target. Palleeeze I would wager he has a hard time keeping the holes on the paper standing still. How many people did he endanger considering shots can skip off concrete very well?
5th Generation Texan
"Republicrats and Demicans, it ain't no surprise,
Got their hands full of gimme, they got their mouths full of lies."

megs

Post by megs »

I call 911 on jerks like this. I tell the truth. They tried to ram me or force me off the road. I'm scared they're trying to kidnap and rape me. Please send help!

VoiceofReason
Banned

Post by VoiceofReason »

When someone gets on my bumper I gradually slow down and keep gradually slowing down until they pass. If the cruise control is on, I manually disengage it. I do not tap my brakes to disengage it.

This has solved my problem with many tailgaters and they just pass me and tailgate someone else. :lol:
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

austin-tatious

Post by austin-tatious »

VoiceofReason wrote:When someone gets on my bumper I gradually slow down and keep gradually slowing down until they pass. If the cruise control is on, I manually disengage it. I do not tap my brakes to disengage it.

This has solved my problem with many tailgaters and they just pass me and tailgate someone else. :lol:
I like this strategy. The key is "gradually" slowing down. I'm afraid I use the brief tap of the brakes. I can see how that is more likely to aggravate someone who is not very mature...like me :lol: . And you can apply that statement to me either way.

Return to “Never Again!!”