Daughter shot me - ricochet

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Daughter shot me - ricochet

Post by E.Marquez »

Unclebob
I just noticed your in cove.. I am stationed at FT Hood, live in Kempner and have been shooting at a indoor range in Cameron . Aarons Gun Store. Weekend only deal, great husband and wife team.. Kind a far,, at 55 min from Kempner, but nice indoor range.

I just drove past “Range Row” on 183 yesterday on the way to Austin, and then Cameron to shoot.. I really need to go checkout Astros, to Stans, to the third one down the same way before Seward Junction.

Have you shot on the FT Hood range? If so what are your thoughts.. I’ve been here since 2005 and just never bothered to register my guns on post and then go try the range.

Erik
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Topic author
UncleBob
Posts in topic: 13

Post by UncleBob »

sjfcontrol wrote:Was this an indoor, or outdoor range? I presumed it was outdoor, shooting into a earthen backstop containing some debris.
Out door range - debris??? This range has a large piece of sheet metal running over the birm to keep rounds from exiting, or from people shooting over the birm.
2/15/10 CHL Class
2/16/10 Packet Sent
2/17/10 Delivery Confirmation
2/25/10 Pin Received "Processing Application"
3/17/10 License issued or Certificate Active
3/20/10 Plastic in Hand

Semper Fi!

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 5

Post by sjfcontrol »

UncleBob wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:Was this an indoor, or outdoor range? I presumed it was outdoor, shooting into a earthen backstop containing some debris.
Out door range - debris??? This range has a large piece of sheet metal running over the birm to keep rounds from exiting, or from people shooting over the birm.
Hmmm, doesn't exactly sound like "the highest level of care". :nono:

Did you ever remember the name of the range?
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Topic author
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

Hmmm, doesn't exactly sound like "the highest level of care". :nono:

Did you ever remember the name of the range?[/quote]

Stann's - I'm no expert on how ranges are suppose to be set up, so I don't know if the range is in the right or if it's a violation. Add to that, it was my daughter shooting and she did shoot high at 10 yards, going for a head shot on the target. I don't have exact measurments, so I'm not condeming "Stanns" range. I've shot there numerous times without inncodent.

That said... I've never seen overhead cover made of any kind of metal on an open range. Usually it's just open, but I've shot mostly on military ranges, and have little experience on civilian run ranges.
2/15/10 CHL Class
2/16/10 Packet Sent
3/20/10 Plastic in Hand

Semper Fi!

Topic author
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

Here's a enlarged pic of where we were shooting. I had taken a pic of my son and didn't realize I had this in the background. The top target is what my daughter was shooting at - 10 yards away.

2/15/10 CHL Class
2/16/10 Packet Sent
3/20/10 Plastic in Hand

Semper Fi!

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

Hmm, how tall is your daughter? It is possible, especially if she's short, that a "head shot" would make the trajectory of the projectile pass over the berm. Couldn't tell what the "white spots" beneath the tires were, I presume that's the metal you're referring to. Also, it is not recommended to use tires on a shooting range, as they generally won't stop bullets, and can cause ricochets due to the steel-belting.

What's the white rectangle in the picture above the targets, surrounding the tires? Looks like something added to the picture? Or possibly a plexiglass (clear) baffle?
Never Forget. Image

Topic author
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

sjfcontrol wrote:What's the white rectangle in the picture above the targets, surrounding the tires? Looks like something added to the picture? Or possibly a plexiglass (clear) baffle?
It's just to highlight the steel used as overhead cover with the tires on it. Make it easier to see. The picture was taken about 50 yards a way so it's a little blurry.
2/15/10 CHL Class
2/16/10 Packet Sent
3/20/10 Plastic in Hand

Semper Fi!

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Greybeard »

We "mine" the bullets out of our berm about once a year to prevent buildup near the surface. It's hard to see what is directly behind the target stands in that photo, but that appears to me to be heavy metal pipes above them - perpendicular to the shooters? :shock:
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Topic author
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

Greybeard wrote:We "mine" the bullets out of our berm about once a year to prevent buildup near the surface. It's hard to see what is directly behind the target stands in that photo, but that appears to me to be heavy metal pipes above them - perpendicular to the shooters? :shock:
Heavy Corrigated steel panels, with tires on them I believe. The thick ones we used to have around when I was in the Military.
2/15/10 CHL Class
2/16/10 Packet Sent
3/20/10 Plastic in Hand

Semper Fi!

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Oh I see the "heavy corrugated panels" alright. But, it takes some support (in pre-engineered metal buildings, they are called "purlins") for them. And that looks to me like heavy metal pipe supporting the "roof panels" and tires.

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Crossfire »

sjfcontrol wrote:Hmmm, doesn't exactly sound like "the highest level of care". :nono:
Sounds vaguely familiar...where have I heard that before? ;-)
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

Crossfire wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:Hmmm, doesn't exactly sound like "the highest level of care". :nono:
Sounds vaguely familiar...where have I heard that before? ;-)
Wondered when you'd show up, Crossfire... :lol::
Never Forget. Image

Griz44
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Griz44 »

Yes, glasses and hearing protection at minimum. A billed hat is a great addition. Long sleeve shirt, heavy material can sure help soften the bounce, and will also help against the occasional hot casing. Several years ago, I got stung bad enough to make me run to the XYL to get a 22 frag out of my arm. It was a ricochet from a falling plate. It happens.

NcongruNt
Posts in topic: 2

Post by NcongruNt »

Wow, that's an odd setup. I don't understand what it solves that wouldn't be more easily addressed with a higher berm. A contraption like that only increases the risk for ricochets (such as you experienced) and complicates rule #4.

In a related story, the first time I took my fiance shooting, there was a fellow shooting .40 at a steel target placed at the end of the 25y range. He was standing about 15 y from the target taking his shots while we were standing at 25y, discussing something about what we would be shooting. While we were talking, she commented that something hit her in the leg. It didn't hurt bad enough to really seem like a concern and we dismissed it as a piece of flying brass at the time. We got home and she had a little purple welt where it hit, and we realized what had happened. She was a good sport about it, and had enjoyed her first time at the range. She likes to describe it as that time she "got shot". :)
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Quote: "Wow, that's an odd setup. I don't understand what it solves"

Agreed. DPS had a much bigger version of a "berm cover" at their old range off Lamar - only it was constructed of heavy lumber and not exposed steel perpendicular to the shooters. What the cover "solves" is keeping the surface(s) of the berm from washing away.

Return to “Never Again!!”