Door To Door Solicitor Today

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

justherenow
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Door To Door Solicitor Today

Post by justherenow »

I not only answer the door with a pistol either on my hip or in my pocket, but I also have one mad Belgian Malinous that stands right behind/beside me.

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

justherenow wrote:I not only answer the door with a pistol either on my hip or in my pocket, but I also have one mad Belgian Malinous that stands right behind/beside me.
Just looked that one up, beautiful animal.

Looks like someone picked the wrong house...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc_4sV0R0eg
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

tomjh

Post by tomjh »

thenick_ttu wrote:
Crossfire wrote:Sorry, kid.
There it is!!

It's the disconnect between old farts and young pups. Most young people today don't see tats as anything more than body art or a way to express themself. Old people see tats as something that an upstanding member of society would never do, which is completely ridiculous in today's society.

And I go back to my previous statement... the OP did not know if these two had the required permits. Unless the permits are required to be displayed while doing door-to-door (like a necklace), then he couldn't have known if they had the permits. He knew that permits are required for his neighborhood and assumed these two "shady" looking characters didn't have the required permits.

And just to answer any speculations... no, I don't have neck tats or sleeves. I don't have any visible tats. I just don't automatically think someone is a criminal or thug just because they have tats all over their body.

There is nothing wrong with calling the police if nothing else just to check them out and make sure they are legit. If they were legit then no problem, carry on. If they weren't breaking the law then they would have nothing to worry about. If I were a pot smoker, and were going door to door (neither of which I would do) then I'd probably leave my pot at home. Especially if I looked like somebody who might be profiled as a criminal. They brought this on themselves and if everybody would take action like this people might have second thoughts about pulling this kind of thing (whether these two actually were or not).

dihappy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dihappy »

Ive called the cops for solicitors before.

As mentioned, times have changed and most of the solicitors who are hired by these "companies" are folks who cant get jobs elsewhere due to background problems.

If calling the cops takes someone with illegal drugs or warrants off the street then its a good call.

speedsix
Posts in topic: 34

Post by speedsix »

...young man at almost dark Mon night...dogs woke me up and I stumbled to the door...he was standing on the porch with his box of candy and cookies...just staring at me...I'd put him at 16 or 17...he didn't say anything so I said "No, Son, I don't want anything...you're supposed to have a permit knocking doors out here." his reply: "I ain't sellin' nuthin'..." as he walked away...and knocked on the two vacant houses with knee-high grass across the street...sad...

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

justherenow wrote:Belgian Malinous
We had one when I was a kid. Great dogs. :txflag:

Jim Beaux
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Jim Beaux »

As the story goes, in the 1950's a fast talking door to door salesman knocked on my grandfather's door & started rattling off his spiel.

He said, "Mr. X, Im not here to sell you anything, but I am here to give you this book absolutely free".

My grandfather reached over, took the book & as he thumbed through the pages asked, "for free?", and the salesman said, "absolutely"! My grandfather said "thanks" & in a flash slammed the door! The enraged salesman screamed & howled while beating on the door for a long time before finally giving up.

During this time my grandmother frantically rushed into the living room terrified as she thought someone was being assaulted. She then admonished grandpa and insisted that he give the book back, but grandpa said he was now too afraid to open the door...
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

Keith B
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Keith B »

Jim Beaux wrote:As the story goes, in the 1950's a fast talking door to door salesman knocked on my grandfather's door & started rattling off his spiel.

He said, "Mr. X, Im not here to sell you anything, but I am here to give you this book absolutely free".

My grandfather reached over, took the book & as he thumbed through the pages asked, "for free?", and the salesman said, "absolutely"! My grandfather said "thanks" & in a flash slammed the door! The enraged salesman screamed & howled while beating on the door for a long time before finally giving up.

During this time my grandmother frantically rushed into the living room terrified as she thought someone was being assaulted. She then admonished grandpa and insisted that he give the book back, but grandpa said he was now too afraid to open the door...
Great story. :thumbs2: I wonder if your grandpa sounded like this? :smilelol5:

[youtube][/youtube]
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

g31357

Post by g31357 »

Good thinking, I wouldn't have thought they were researching for the next house to rob but that sounds logical. I usually don't answer the door for anyone unless I know them.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 9

Post by WildBill »

Jim Beaux wrote:As the story goes, in the 1950's a fast talking door to door salesman knocked on my grandfather's door & started rattling off his spiel.

Once, I did this at the World's Fair. A Hari Krishna approached me and my friend, his hand out, offering us free incense. I grabbed it from his hand, said "Thank You!" and kept walking. He followed us for a couple of minutes asking for a "donation" but I kept telling him that he said it was free. He finally gave up. :evil2:
NRA Endowment Member

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 10

Post by sjfcontrol »

WildBill wrote:

Once, I did this at the World's Fair. A Hari Krishna approached me and my friend, his hand out, offering us free incense. I grabbed it from his hand, said Thank You! and kept walking. He followed us for a couple of minutes asking for a "donation", but he finally gave up. :evil2:
Incense? The last time I was approached at an airport, they were "giving away" some book. Got suckered. I was very young. ;-)
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

WildBill
Posts in topic: 9

Post by WildBill »

sjfcontrol wrote:Incense? The last time I was approached at an airport, they were "giving away" some book. Got suckered. I was very young. ;-)
Yes, incense. I was very young. :mrgreen:

http://krishnastore.com/masala-incense- ... a-731.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Endowment Member

OrangeAnimal

Post by OrangeAnimal »

my helper is always there when I open the door. 145lb great Dane. That slows them down and then my I really don't care what you want attitude takes care of the rest. I have heard it all. Unless you show up in my door in a girl/boy scout uniform and are of the appropriate age I don't want whatever you have to sell. If i want something I will come to you.

74novaman
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 74novaman »

OrangeAnimal wrote:my helper is always there when I open the door. 145lb great Dane. That slows them down and then my I really don't care what you want attitude takes care of the rest. I have heard it all. Unless you show up in my door in a girl/boy scout uniform and are of the appropriate age I don't want whatever you have to sell. If i want something I will come to you.
Darn. I had an idea. :biggrinjester:
TANSTAAFL

DocRawk

Post by DocRawk »

tomjh wrote:
thenick_ttu wrote:
Crossfire wrote:Sorry, kid.
There it is!!

It's the disconnect between old farts and young pups. Most young people today don't see tats as anything more than body art or a way to express themself. Old people see tats as something that an upstanding member of society would never do, which is completely ridiculous in today's society.

And I go back to my previous statement... the OP did not know if these two had the required permits. Unless the permits are required to be displayed while doing door-to-door (like a necklace), then he couldn't have known if they had the permits. He knew that permits are required for his neighborhood and assumed these two "shady" looking characters didn't have the required permits.

And just to answer any speculations... no, I don't have neck tats or sleeves. I don't have any visible tats. I just don't automatically think someone is a criminal or thug just because they have tats all over their body.

There is nothing wrong with calling the police if nothing else just to check them out and make sure they are legit. If they were legit then no problem, carry on. If they weren't breaking the law then they would have nothing to worry about. If I were a pot smoker, and were going door to door (neither of which I would do) then I'd probably leave my pot at home. Especially if I looked like somebody who might be profiled as a criminal. They brought this on themselves and if everybody would take action like this people might have second thoughts about pulling this kind of thing (whether these two actually were or not).
I completely agree that the OP should have called the cops, and I consider myself to be somewhat of a young pup (just turned 30 a few weeks ago). I personally have quite a few tattoos. Most of my back is covered along with most of my left forearm and my wife's name on my left ring finger. I happen to be a family medicine resident (read physician). As a professional, I take into consideration the fact that many people perceive tattoos as unprofessional at best, unclean at worst. It doesn't matter if their perceptions are correct. I'm not there to make some kind of personal statement. I'm there to represent my training program and the hospitals that allow me to train in their facilities. I'm also there to serve the people that need my help. When I am working, my tattoos are covered with the only exception being my ring finger.

I expect anyone that comes to my door to sell a product or service to be dressed appropriately for their profession. These people were supposed to be learning public speaking! Part of public speaking is dressing professionally! In short, an adult, regardless of how long they've been an adult, should know to dress according to their role. If they don't, they will not likely get my business. If they show up at my house, I will be suspicious; the police will be informed.
Bersa Thunder .40S&W Ultra Compact
Februaryish - Online app submitted
April 14 - Course taken
April 17 - Packet Mailed
April 20 - USPS confirmed delivery
April 28 - Background Check under review
May 16 - Manufacture pending
May 17 - Manufacturing
May 18 - Mailed

Return to “Never Again!!”