Daughter shot me - ricochet

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

NcongruNt
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Daughter shot me - ricochet

Post by NcongruNt »

Greybeard wrote:Quote: "Wow, that's an odd setup. I don't understand what it solves"

Agreed. DPS had a much bigger version of a "berm cover" at their old range off Lamar - only it was constructed of heavy lumber and not exposed steel perpendicular to the shooters. What the cover "solves" is keeping the surface(s) of the berm from washing away.
And even then, there would be occasional ricochets that would escape. They'd hit someone's house or go through the windshield of a parked car, and the obligatory news reports would go out on the 6:00 news about it, complete with interviews from people "on the street" complaining about how it shouldn't be allowed, etc.

It seems to me that regular maintenance of a berm would be more effective than a giant cover contraption.
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

driver8
Posts in topic: 1

Post by driver8 »

I have been hit twice with my own .38's. Both times it was hollow base wadcutters about 30 yrs ago. In my 20's I just laughed it off. I was shooting at a paper target on a tallow tree. One hit me in the right pants pocket about 3 inches from Mr. Happy. Didn't really hurt much. The next one hit me in the right arm just below the shoulder and it did hurt. I've always thought something more than the .38 wouldn't have come back at me. We used to shoot them at an old car and never did get one to penetrate the windshield with the angle I'm sure.

quickerNu

Post by quickerNu »

Strange. I have passed by Stan's many times and haven't stopped in yet. Not sure I will, now. I have seen the signs for Astro, but what is the 3rd range in the area? I live in Harker Heights. I usually drive out to our ranch in Rosebud to shoot, but I have buddies in Liberty Hill that I planned on shooting with out that way.
3/01/10 Finally mailed packet
4/09/10 Plastic!

Topic author
UncleBob
Posts in topic: 13

Post by UncleBob »

I'm heading out to the "Astro" range heading toward Austin tomorrow with the wife. If they let me I'll try and take some pics of it and let you guys know what I think of it. It's a fairly new range, so I'm hoping that it's a nice area to shoot. Just me and the wife tomorrow, so wish me luck that she doesn't finish what my daughter tried to do. :grumble
2/15/10 CHL Class
2/16/10 Packet Sent
2/17/10 Delivery Confirmation
2/25/10 Pin Received "Processing Application"
3/17/10 License issued or Certificate Active
3/20/10 Plastic in Hand

Semper Fi!

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 2

Post by E.Marquez »

quickerNu wrote:Strange. I have passed by Stan's many times and haven't stopped in yet. Not sure I will, now. I have seen the signs for Astro, but what is the 3rd range in the area? I live in Harker Heights. I usually drive out to our ranch in Rosebud to shoot, but I have buddies in Liberty Hill that I planned on shooting with out that way.
I do not remember the name of it, but see the sign every time I ride to Austin down 183 from Kempner... I'll pay more attention next time I go by,,,Or heck,, maybe go hit up all three ranges this weekend
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

tekarra

Post by tekarra »

A few years back we were shooting bowling pins. I was using my 9mm with cast bullets. A ricochet hit me square on the big toe. I was wearing sneakers and it hurt like hell.

Return to “Never Again!!”