Have you ever been threatened?

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Enron Exec
Posts in topic: 11

Re: Have you ever been threatened?

Post by Enron Exec »

Thanks agbullet. This morning i certainly stepped up my alertness.

I was just editing out the explicits from the Tuesday night chat log. After re-reading it 4 times, im beginning to see that my friend might, and i mean ever so slightly might, have been joking. Its border line nuts still.

hmmmm

Topic author
Enron Exec
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Enron Exec »

Ok, i just worked it out with all my friends. Things are cleared up. It was all a misunderstanding and couple of jokes that went a bit too far.

Thanks for the support guys.

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KBCraig »

For a different perspective: This was not an internet chat fight. It was a threat (or perceived threat, or "joke threat" incorrectly perceived), among people who know each other in real life, over an incident that occurred in real life.

As "Enron Exec" said, the medium has nothing to do with the message. If someone you know in real life threatens you, it doesn't matter if the threat arrives via email, instant message, cell phone text messages, or face to face: a threat is a threat if the person issuing it has apparent means and opportunity to carry it out.

This wasn't a case of hAk0rzd00m telling 0neTwUl33T that his skillz were better. It was someone known in real life, apparently issuing a credible threat.

I'd take it seriously too. And if I was satisfied everyone involved was "just joking", I'd drop them from all future contacts.

SlowDave
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SlowDave »

On a broader note, I do think this is a problem in society, mostly with the younger crowd, which is I think why some people were asking your age, OP. My teenage kids have many instances of acquaintances "threatening" or referring to the possibility of suicide or "going emo" (cutting themselves, etc.). Someone called my son tonight, and they were kind of playing around and wouldn't identify themselves (female) and it was kind of cute and fun for a while for him I think, and after they wouldn't identify themselves for 5 minutes, he said well, enough, and told them he was hanging up and did. They called back ~5 times and by the end, were mentioning suicide and it had gotten ugly. My wife and I answered the next two calls and they didn't say anything and quit calling.

I don't think this person, or the others on MySpace, IM, etc. are seriously thinking about suicide, but it's their "hook." I mean, who can hang up on someone that is talking suicidal? But someone sick enough to go to that level just for a stupid little phone call are seriously messed up about life. And it's not a rare thing. Someone loses a boy/girlfriend, and off they go with the suicide talk.

Similarly, your friend going off with a "joke" about killing you is not funny. I put this in nearly the same bucket as someone who would pick up an "unloaded" gun and wave it around being "funny." I'm done with that person and won't be around him/her anymore. Maybe I'm an old fart (at 43), but I won't put up with crap like that.

TxRVer
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TxRVer »

Here's the reason I said the whole thing was juvenile. You were complaining online about a perceived threat. Come back in a few days and reread what you wrote.

If you had actually taken the theat seriously I don't think you would still be referring to Friend 1 as your friend. I think you would have quit corresponding with him and called the police for intervention. Instead, you were on the internet whining about your other friends not taking the threat seriously.
Charlie

WarHawk-AVG
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

TxRVer wrote:Here's the reason I said the whole thing was juvenile. You were complaining online about a perceived threat. Come back in a few days and reread what you wrote.

If you had actually taken the theat seriously I don't think you would still be referring to Friend 1 as your friend. I think you would have quit corresponding with him and called the police for intervention. Instead, you were on the internet whining about your other friends not taking the threat seriously.
Same here...

I didn't mean to come off like I was flaming you..but your OP just reeked of juvenile shenanigans

Welcome to the forum
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

Return to “Never Again!!”