Any tips on keeping EDC Red Dots clean(er)

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
troglodyte
Posts in topic: 3

Any tips on keeping EDC Red Dots clean(er)

Post by troglodyte »

I ordered a Holosun 507 tonight to go on my 4.5” XDM. My aging eyes still do pretty good with iron sights but it won’t be to much longer until I have to get arm extensions or start carrying a Buntline. I figured it was easier to get an RDS and get the practice in before my arms get too short.

One thing that concerns we is keeping the optic clean. Besides lint and everyday dust I can often be in some dusty environments. How dirty can the lens get before it is useless? Are there any tricks on how to keep it cleaner or is it just a matter of being diligent and cleaning it on a daily basis?
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Any tips on keeping EDC Red Dots clean(er)

Post by Scott B. »

There are some anti static cloths you can try. I try to clean the lens weekly or after any range trip. Treat it like a pair of glasses. Soft cloth only. Avoid paper towels.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Killadocg23
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Killadocg23 »

Lens pen.

HD76

Post by HD76 »

troglodyte,

Did you get your slide milled to fit the sight? If so, who did you use? I have a XDm I want to get a RDS on, and I am looking for a place to get the work done.

Topic author
troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

HD76 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:23 pm troglodyte,

Did you get your slide milled to fit the sight? If so, who did you use? I have a XDm I want to get a RDS on, and I am looking for a place to get the work done.
This was the XDm OSP so it was milled from the factory. Sorry to be of no help.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer

Topic author
troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

Scott B. wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:57 pm There are some anti static cloths you can try. I try to clean the lens weekly or after any range trip. Treat it like a pair of glasses. Soft cloth only. Avoid paper towels.
I wasn't as clear as I should have been. I'm not worried about cleaning the lens, more concerned about it gathering a bunch of lint and dirt during the day if I'm working in a dirty environment. I was wondering if there was a good way of avoiding the biggest part of the dirt and wondering how dirty can it get before the reticle is useless. When in the holster the optic makes a nice little shelf, with a lip around it, for things to fall into and get caught. Bigger stuff will fall out when drawing but dust and lint may hang around and block or obscure the reticle.

Maybe It's a non-issue. I just figured someone here has a RDS on their EDC and carry in dirty environments.
Talon Firearms Training

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Scott B. »

troglodyte wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:40 pm
Scott B. wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:57 pm There are some anti static cloths you can try. I try to clean the lens weekly or after any range trip. Treat it like a pair of glasses. Soft cloth only. Avoid paper towels.
Maybe It's a non-issue. I just figured someone here has a RDS on their EDC and carry in dirty environments.
I try to clean mine weekly if I go two weeks you can really tell. Let's face it, we are the dirty environment as far as the red dot goes. ;-)
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

bobby

Post by bobby »

I blast mine with air from a can of air front back and also blow out the pistol every day.

:txflag:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”