Restoring old 357

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Whitenerj
Posts in topic: 2

Restoring old 357

Post by Whitenerj »

I have just acquired my fathers 357 revolver which is probably 30 years old. It has sat in a foam lined case and when I pulled it out to clean it, it had foam stuck to it all over. I was able to remove most of the foam but it now has a lot of the finish removed and a leftover speckled silver look. Is this something that could fix with a simple bluing?

hovercat
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Restoring old 357

Post by hovercat »

If no pitting, yes. I would go to a reputable gunsmith.

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

Looks like an S&W. I would call the factory and talk with the repair group about sending it to them for a through cleaning and refinishing.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

PBratton wrote:Looks like an S&W. I would call the factory and talk with the repair group about sending it to them for a through cleaning and refinishing.
I would say more likely a Dan Wesson. I found a 1911 my Dad must have bought as a project. It was rusty and pitted setting in the trunk of his car when he died. My good friend, who is an excellent Smith, bead blasted it, refinished it and "tuned " it for me......looks new.

Topic author
Whitenerj
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Whitenerj »

It's actually a Rossi. I'm going to call around and see about it blued. It's not pitting.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Wouldn't spend a lot of money fixing it up if it is a Rossi. S&W I would fix up.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

If you want to have it re-blued, or anything else, I would recommend Tyler Gun Works out of Friona, in the panhandle. The website there is Http://TylerGunWorks.com and Bobby, the guy holding the color case hardened receiver on the front page, is a long time friend of mine. He's a great guy and does mostly finish work now days. He does real bluing and Color Case Hardening for the most part. Visit his webpage and check out a restoration hid did on a Ruger Blackhawk. You can find the images of that gun on his bluing page under the services menu. If this gun has value to as a family heirloom or for some other reason the go ahead and restore it. If it's "Just an old Rossi" to you then maybe it's not worth what it will cost. Bobby is a licensed manufacturer so you can ship it directly to him and he can ship it directly back.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”