Walther CCP Reassembly

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Crash
Posts in topic: 3

Walther CCP Reassembly

Post by Crash »

For the 2nd time, I'm going to have to take my new (as in "never fired") Walther CCP to a gunsmith for reassembly. I readily admit that I'm not very handy at mechanical stuff (as in, "Don't know a right-handed screwdriver from a left-handed screwdriver), but this is ridiculous--and I followed the instructions in the owner's manual meticulously. I also tried to change the magazine release from the left side to the right (again, following the instructions very carefully) and I couldn't do it. Although I like the way it feels in my hand, and I've read that they are very accurate, I can't own a gun that is this difficult to do work on. If you're thinking about buying one, and are as unhandy as I am, you might want to check it out carefully before you buy it.

Crash

Teamless
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Walther CCP Reassembly

Post by Teamless »

I have a CCP
it shoots great
but the disassembly/reassembly is horrible
The last time I did it, it took me about 15 minutes to get the slide back on.
The little "tool" they give you is absolutely horrible.
Especially when you have just oiled your gun, used solvents, etc, its very difficult to hold on to an maneuver.

What area are you in?
maybe there are others on this board who can help you, rather than you paying a gunsmith to put it together again
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

If you're near the NRH/Watauga/Southlake/Keller area, I'd be happy to help.
My wife has a CCP, for which I am the caretaker.

Haven't tried swapping the mag release but I'm sure we can figure it out together.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

Teamless and RoyGBiv,

Luckily, I didn't have to pay the gunsmith for reassembly the first time and I'm assuming he'll help me for free this time, probably because I bought the gun from him.

I live in Fredericksburg and I don't know anyone else in this area who owns a CCP.

After I disassembled it this last time, I was reassembling it and as I pushed the slide down onto the frame, the catch in the rear popped out and the striker spring is sticking out about 1/4". Can't get the spring or the catch back in. So, I'll be taking it back to the gunsmith in the next couple of days and will probably sell it at a gun show or trade it in on something that's a little easier to work on.

Crash

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

FWIW, I find the CCP to be very smooth and easy to shoot. But I agree that slide removal/assembly is an annoyance. The take down tool leaves much to be desired. I should design one that's longer with a T handle and made from aluminum or something studier than plastic. I wonder what I could sell them for?

My wife loves hers, but she is happy to allow me to maintain it for her. :lol:

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

Yup, horrible takedown and assembly for a field strip. RoyGBiv if it was reasonable priced I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

All who replied:

Took the Walther CCP back to the dealer/gunsmith today. He refunded my money and is sending the gun back to Walther--he thinks there is something wrong with this particular one.

So, I am now the proud owner of an FNS-9. Fits my small hands well, the ambidextrous magazine release works very well, slide is just as east to rack as the CCP was, and it's easy to take down and put back together. So, barring any problems when I go out to shoot it (reliability of feeding, firing, and ejecting being the most important qualities of any gun), I'm a pretty happy camper.

Crash

GlockShooter56

Post by GlockShooter56 »

Crash wrote:All who replied:

Took the Walther CCP back to the dealer/gunsmith today. He refunded my money and is sending the gun back to Walther--he thinks there is something wrong with this particular one.

So, I am now the proud owner of an FNS-9. Fits my small hands well, the ambidextrous magazine release works very well, slide is just as east to rack as the CCP was, and it's easy to take down and put back together. So, barring any problems when I go out to shoot it (reliability of feeding, firing, and ejecting being the most important qualities of any gun), I'm a pretty happy camper.

Crash
That's some pretty awesome customer service. Might have to spend some money there next time I'm in the area!
If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

OK, so I know nothing about this gun, but after reading this thread, curiosity got the best of me and I found a takedown video on YouTube.

That is one incredibly difficult takedown procedure for a handgun. I am now feeling spoiled by my guns with their relatively simple mechanics.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:OK, so I know nothing about this gun, but after reading this thread, curiosity got the best of me and I found a takedown video on YouTube.

That is one incredibly difficult takedown procedure for a handgun. I am now feeling spoiled by my guns with their relatively simple mechanics.
After doing it a few times you get a feel for it. It's really not too bad.
But the tool they give you should be called Obama. It makes your blood boil until you give in to it. :mrgreen:

Chemist45

Post by Chemist45 »

Here is a video of a guy named Dan Davies taking down and reassembling the CCP.

BTW, his left hand is paralyzed.

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

Chemist45 wrote:Here is a video of a guy named Dan Davies taking down and reassembling the CCP.
BTW, his left hand is paralyzed.
A skinny guy couldn't do that procedure.

loscar141

Post by loscar141 »

After watching that video, i went to the youtube site to see all the comments about him muzzling him self. I was sadden to see the comments where disabled. I find it funny how even when the person shows that the gun is clear. someone will comment about breaking the gun rules.

goose

Post by goose »

loscar141 wrote:After watching that video, i went to the youtube site to see all the comments about him muzzling him self. I was sadden to see the comments where disabled. I find it funny how even when the person shows that the gun is clear. someone will comment about breaking the gun rules.
Agreed. The same people that are completely comfortable walking down a table of rifles at a gun show with muzzles pointed at them, want to complain about a guy doing maintenance.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”