Bug out bag suggestions

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 2

Bug out bag suggestions

Post by cmgee67 »

Howdy guys I have been pushing around the idea of putting together a bug out bag for the pickup. I have been looking at some first aid kits and battery's and such and putting some spare mags in it possibly a couple knives but I want to know what you guys put in yours and why so I can better my bag. I am asking for your opinion so don't be shy. Thanks!

gdanaher
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Bug out bag suggestions

Post by gdanaher »

I can offer suggestions from the perspective of radio amateur storm spotters.
-spare eyeglasses if you need them
-toilet paper
-water
-MREs or equivalent for a few days
-spare socks, clothing for a few days
-light duty hand tools
-means of charging things like cell phone which could include small solar panels
-a good mapping system, on paper if possible
-daily medications if you take them, in labelled bottles
-daglo safety vest
-soap, towel

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Water, I have some like these and I think they make some sense - so you don't down a bottle all at once or something
http://beprepared.com/datrex-water-pouc ... uches.html

First aid goes without saying. I've probably got 5 or more flashlights, headlamps, or lantern deals. Work gloves, tape, paracord if that's your thing, knife, face mask...
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

You're going to need shelter, water, food, protection, first aid for x number of days. Plan your bag around your expected use for the bag. The above items should be common to almost all bags.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

If the ordure hits the fan, bud, you ain't goin nowhere, so learn how to fly and own at home a helicopter cuz the roads will be jammo-ed with everyone and their bug out bags along with jillions of humans who will almost instantly degrade to savages.

Anyone remember the giant cluster disturbance getting out of the Houston area when Rita was imminent?

Next, where to go?

??????

Scott in Houston

Post by Scott in Houston »

Abraham wrote:If the ordure hits the fan, bud, you ain't goin nowhere, so learn how to fly and own at home a helicopter cuz the roads will be jammo-ed with everyone and their bug out bags along with jillions of humans who will almost instantly degrade to savages.

Anyone remember the giant cluster disturbance getting out of the Houston area when Rita was imminent?

Next, where to go?

??????
I've considered getting a couple of small motor bikes for this reason. Cars will be almost useless and trucks only slightly less so.

The scary thing about a bike is defending yourself from theft, etc.

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I've got the protection part down with my G19 I carry everyday on my person and my AR that almost always rides with me as well with extra mags. What is a good first aid kit and also wb MRE's where is a good place to find them

Jusme
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jusme »

I don't have a "bug out bag" in my truck it is a "Get Home Bag" everyone in the family knows that home is where I'll be headed in an excrement contacting the rotating turbine situation. I live in the country so I don't plan to "bug out" right away.
My GHB is a Condor Venture pack inside I have everything I will need if I have abandon my truck and hoof it home.
I have an extra change of clothes which I rotate depending on the season
Extra socks
Sturdy broken in hiking boots
A Snugpak shelter
A snugpak hammock
Two heavy duty space blankets olive drab on one side
Two lightweight space blankets
4 particle masks
1 dozen pair of nitrile gloves
2 shemaughs
Two cliff bars
1 3 liter hydration bladder
I Leatherman multi tool
I small pry bar
1 Ontario SP 8 with paracord
1 ESEE 5 knife with a large TekLok for scout carry
1 DPX HEST attached to the left shoulder strap of the pack
2 mini mag light flashlights
2 ferroceum fire rods one in a pouch on my ESEE sheath
1 Firestarter kit with 2 Bic lighters char cloth, and tinder tabs in an altoids tin
I headlamp
2 maps road and topographical
Solar charger and battery pack
Condor H2o pouch with 32 ounce stainless bottle and nesting cup
1 Endur flip top bottle with filter
Watercrest purification tabs (25 I think)
1 Boonie hat
1 4 way sillcok key
Extra reading glasses
Tactical gloves
I have a nylon holster attached to the waisted belt on the right side and a nylon double mag pouch on the left.
1 pair of 20x binoculars
1 whistle
50 feet of 5/16 rope
100 feet of paracord
2 200 lb carabiner
1 handmade hiking stick with extra paracord
6 tents stakes

That is all that can remember of what's in my bag as I said is to get me home. I have about a 25 mile hike from work, but I allow for extra items in case roads are blocked or I am further away.

If I am closer when I have start hiking I can leave a few things behind.

Edit: I forgot my rain gear / shelter I have a G.I. poncho and liner. I have modified the liner to use as an under quilt for my hammock.
Last edited by Jusme on Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Jusme,

What?

No kitchen sink?

I simultaneously admire and laugh at the 'BOB' folks.

It must be tough trying to find the 'diminishing return' point.

Why not wherever you go, drag a giant RV filled to the brim with whatever you need?

Oh wait, that sounds impractical...

Jusme
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jusme »

Abraham wrote:Jusme,

What?

No kitchen sink?

I simultaneously admire and laugh at the 'BOB' folks.

It must be tough trying to find the 'diminishing return' point.

Why not wherever you go, drag a giant RV filled to the brim with whatever you need?

Oh wait, that sounds impractical...

Believe it or not that list weighs only approximately 25 pounds I have seen a lot of folks think they need to pack for a month in the wilderness. Like I said, the list will get me through three days with no outside assistance. I may not need everything g and can make reduction decisions on the fly. I have set up several different sheltering configurations and am confident in everything I have. I have already done recon on several different routes home including utilizing railroad tracks and utility easements. I have concluded that most of the alternate routes will require traveling at night significantly slowing my progress. While there is no way to anticipate every scenario, I have tried to anticipate as many as possible. Everyone will have to decide for themselves based on their particular situations what will work for them. My family members have their own GHB based on their own day to day activities, distances involved etc..
The short answer is that there is no short answer. Everyone's circumstances require unique preparedness. This is what works for me at this time. If my situation changes, so will my list.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

cmgee67 wrote:I've got the protection part down with my G19 I carry everyday on my person and my AR that almost always rides with me as well with extra mags. What is a good first aid kit and also wb MRE's where is a good place to find them
I prefer putting a first aid kit together instead of buying one. I get what I want, don't get stuff I don't want, and the quality is better.
A good pair of tweezers, gauze - pads and rolls, tape, assorted sizes of butterfly and plain band-aids, eye drops, benadryl, and pain reliever.
It can go in a zip-lock, plastic food container (Tupperware), cosmetics bag . . .

Jeff

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

Abraham wrote:If the ordure hits the fan, bud, you ain't goin nowhere, so learn how to fly and own at home a helicopter cuz the roads will be jammo-ed with everyone and their bug out bags along with jillions of humans who will almost instantly degrade to savages.

Next, where to go?

??????
I got out of Houston just fine during that event and I stayed on roads that showed up on a basic state map. The people who got stuck were on the interstate highways and major roads like HW 90. It took twice as long as normal, but I still got there. I have a Backroads of Texas map that shows all the small county roads and dirt roads county by county for the state. I suggest something like that.

IMO, planning to drive can still work, but you need to plan your route ahead of time and make sure you have fuel.

That said, unless you are forced to move, bugging in is preferable. I think a bug out bag for a the vehicle is good if you get stuck somewhere also.

goose

Post by goose »

I am another that has a "get home" bag. And in reality, I only carry it when NOAA has us preparing for a hurricane. I sometimes need to work up to the edge of the weather. I'm less concerned about society falling around me unexpectedly, and more concerned with the hurricane Rita scenarios. Even the Jeep would only get me so far. The first bridge jammed up with cars at a creek/bayou crossing and I'd be on foot. My kit really only facilitates me getting to my house. I would hope that my biggest ordeal would be the mileage on my legs. I am fortunate that I can avoid most high traffic areas to get home. I also believe that I can get home before most folks are getting desperate.

Other than the sub2k, I think that my kit is small. And that is the way I want it. Just get me home. This is intended as a sub 24 hour kit. Water and ammo are the "heavies." Weight wise, I would sacrifice the sub2k first, some amount of ammo second. I have not weighed the kit but I would put it under 25 pounds even being generous with my estimates.

Standard hiking backpack with a waist belt. (2 lbs) (I am undecided if a tacticool backpack would keep others at bay or attract attention. "Excuse me sir, are you with the National Guard? Can you help us?" I am choosing to blend in.)
Protection: ( 9.5 lbs)
G17 and Sub2k. (I think that the sub2k is overkill but it is somewhat lite and is easy to fold up in a backpack.) ( 1.5 lbs + 5 lbs)
magazines w/ 100 rnds total (2x17, 2x33, also overkill) (2.75 lbs)
Hiking: (2 lbs)
Rain jacket and rain kilt (dont laugh. I used it at Philmont Scout Ranch and loved it. And it weighs like a fart.)
leukotape w/ small scissors (in sandwich ziplock)
spare socks (in gallon ziplock)
compass
small headlamp
Sustenance: (8.5 lbs)
100oz water bladder
24 oz water bottle
10 katadyn micropur tablets
6 cliff bars
Shelter: (2 lbs)
military poncho
100ft paracord (for use with the poncho if making a shelter)
Other (1 lb)
hurricane matches (A fire seems like a generally bad idea, but mentally I cannot give up the ability)
knife
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Lots of good advice.

Personally, mine follows a typical mil 72 hour bag, minus the shoe shine kit and extra emphasis on a nice mosquito net:

1) Tent (optional, if you are sharing a tent with someone else who is carrying it) (T)
2) Spare rank and CAP cutouts (for cadets)
3) 5 meals (T)
4) 2 Leaf Bags, large
5) Bag, waterproof (T), containing:
(a) Spare uniform,
(b) Underwear and socks, 3 changes (T)
6) Sleeping pad, foam or inflatable.
7) Spare boot laces.
8) Kit, sewing, with spare buttons.
9) Shoe Shine Kit
10) Toilet Kit, that should contain:
(a) Toothbrush and paste (T)
(b) Shaving Kit (if you shave) (T)
(c) Deodorant (T)
(d) Washcloth and soap (T)
(e) Towel (T)
11) Sleeping Bag or Bedroll appropriate to climate (T)
c. Optional Items
(1) Rainwear, durable
(2) Webbing, nylon, 1” wide, 20’ long.
(3) Handheld FM Transceiver (highly recommended for Ground Team Leaders)
(4) Water Purification Tablets
(5) Eye Protection (highly recommended)
(6) Entrenching Tool (highly recommended for base gear)

http://capnhq.custhelp.com/app/answers/ ... hour-packs

Anything more then 3 days away, and you better have a solid plan C.

Oh, and it help to have a horse or two in case of an EMP :thumbs2:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”