Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Wilderness Tactical vs Leather Gun Belt

Post by Taypo »

Quick question for those of you who have used both a rigger style belt and a leather gun belt. I'm using leather now with my IWB holster (also leather) and its working out well. I've got an OWB Kydex on the way for my new HK and I'm debating on going with a Wilderness Tactical belt for it, as opposed to a lengthy wait for my leather guy to make me a new one.

Are the nylon belts going to be stable and comfortable with OWB and a full size?

WildBill

Re: Wilderness Tactical vs Leather Gun Belt

Post by WildBill »

I own both leather and nylon belts. I use the nylon when I am wearing my cargo shorts or other less formal pants.

I two own Wilderness Tactical belts and like them. They are very stiff and good for a full size handgun.

I brand that also like is the Uncle Mike belt. I don't care for most of their products, but I do like the Reinforced Instructor belt.

First of all they are cheaper than the Wildness Tactical and have a two day delivery time. About $33 on Amazon Prime with free shipping.

Second you can buy them in small, medium, large and ex-large so you get more adjustment room than the Wilderness Tactical.

I recently bought the Uncle Mike and really like it. They are not as well built or as stiff as the Wilderness belts, but do a decent job.

The only disadvantage is that they only come in black. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 3

Post by JALLEN »

I have two WTs and two Belt Man belts, the difference in each pair being color. I've had them for years.

I've not tried OWB, but I can't imagine either of these not being excellent choices.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AJSully421 »

JALLEN wrote:I have two WTs and two Belt Man belts, the difference in each pair being color. I've had them for years.

I've not tried OWB, but I can't imagine either of these not being excellent choices.

Ditto to all of the above. Black and Brown (Coyote tan for the WT) in both belts.

I will use the WT for most OC, unless I am dressing up for a BBQ and then I will wear the leather belt.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Topic author
Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

Thanks guys, appreciate the info.

Are y'all using the 3 stitch, 5 stitch or the CSM? I'm waffling on the 5 or the reinforced...

SigM4
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SigM4 »

5 stitch is more than stiff enough unless you're intending on using it for a class where you're hanging a handgun and multiple (as in more than four) magazines off it.

I used my 5 stitch for a class in San Antonio this spring and it had a Sig 226 and four 20 round magazines all on it without any issue whatsoever. For concealed carry the 5 stitch has always been plenty for me.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 3

Post by JALLEN »

Mine are both 5 stitch.

The only problem I've had is that they don't expand and contract to fit my girth.

I've gained, and now lost, about 50 lbs since I bought them.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

DanD

Post by DanD »

I originally got a 5-stitch Wilderness Instructors Belt for IDPA competitions. It is nice and stiff (i.e. I can't collapse the belt when I try to squeeze the top and bottom together), but it's flexible worn around the body. For competitions, I can have up to 4 magazines plus the gun on the belt with no sagging and it is still very comfortable.

I used to wear a very nice leather gun belt at work, but about 2 years ago I switched to wearing the 5-stitch Wilderness Instructors belt everyday and I have not looked back. The main issue I had with the leather gun belt is that it would jab me in the side sometimes when seated and leaning either left or right. The Wilderness belt even works with shorts in the summertime provided you get the 1.5 inch wide belt. On the flip side, the leather gun belt would rarely fit the belt loops on my shorts so it does not get much summertime use.

Just make sure you follow the instructions for sizing the Wilderness belt.
Given a 50/50 chance, you will pick wrong 80% of the time. NRA Life Member, IDPA

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I've had to of the Wilderness Tactical Instructor belts, and they are great and last a long time. I've carried everything from full sized 1911s to a dinky little PM9 with no trouble. My only problem is that I've lost so much weight that I need a new one. Bonus is that if you need to replace an old belt, you can save money by sending them the old belt so they can reuse the buckle.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Taypo wrote:Thanks guys, appreciate the info.

Are y'all using the 3 stitch, 5 stitch or the CSM? I'm waffling on the 5 or the reinforced...
My first was a 5 stitch, everything since then has been CSM. The difference is enough that I bought another tan one in CSM, and the tan 5 stitch now sits in my bug out bag in my truck.

Go for the CSM... you will never think to yourself "Gee, I wish this gun belt wasn't so stiff."
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

Once I got a Wilderness CSM belt, my leather gun belt has hung in the closet unused.

What sold me was the much more granular adjustment that the non-leather belt offers. Even the 3/4" hole spacing on the leather belt can't compete.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

txhighlander

Post by txhighlander »

When I looked into the wilderness tactical belt the store I was at didn't have any in my size that day. What they did have was 511 tactical belts. They were a few dollars less but seamed to be made just as well. I have been using them for about 3 years now. I personally like them better than leather, any holster I have used works very well with that style belt.
Truth against the world

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

WildBill wrote:I own both leather and nylon belts. I use the nylon when I am wearing my cargo shorts or other less formal pants.

I two own Wilderness Tactical belts and like them. They are very stiff and good for a full size handgun.

I brand that also like is the Uncle Mike belt. I don't care for most of their products, but I do like the Reinforced Instructor belt.

First of all they are cheaper than the Wildness Tactical and have a two day delivery time. About $33 on Amazon Prime with free shipping.

Second you can buy them in small, medium, large and ex-large so you get more adjustment room than the Wilderness Tactical.

I recently bought the Uncle Mike and really like it. They are not as well built or as stiff as the Wilderness belts, but do a decent job.

The only disadvantage is that they only come in black. :tiphat:
I bought the uncle mikes last night $26 and change and free next day delivery with prime.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Shadowboxer

Post by Shadowboxer »

Absolutely love my WT belts.

Topic author
Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

Ordered the CSM Instructor on Friday afternoon, it arrived today. Haven't had much time with it yet, but first impression is overwhelmingly positive. It's stiff, but not uncomfortable with my 1911 IWB. The level of adjustment with the Velcro is definitely better than finding the closest hole with leather.

I'm going to strap an OWB on tomorrow and see how it does.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”