Flashlight Review - Fenix vs. Surefire

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 5

Flashlight Review - Fenix vs. Surefire

Post by Paladin »

My standard carry light is a Surefire e2e. The Surefire e2e is a great light. It's got 60 lumens, and runs for about 1.25 hours.

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_ ... /sesent/00

I recently picked up a Fenix P3D. It's about the size of a Surefire e2e. But the P3D was cheaper, has a new Cree LED that puts out 160 lumens for 1.8hrs, is digitally regulated for constant brightness, and has adjustible light settings.

Testing the flashlights, the P3D was certainly brighter that the e2e, and a bit brighter than my upgraded 120 lumen Surefire G2.

The P3D light was pretty much white, but seemed to have a slight blueish tint.

I still prefer my e2e for tactical purposes, as the e2e has a pocket clip, better textured gripping surface, anti-roll shape, and a straight forward on/off/momentary switch.

But that said, the P3D is an increadible general purpose light, and should do find as a backup light to my e2e.

http://fenix-store.com/index.php?cPath= ... 13ba8067fe

FYI Fenix Coupons:

- There is now a 8% CPF8 code, $20 minimum.
- There is a 10% PREORDER10 code for all items in the preorder category
- There is a 15% CLEARANCE15 code for all items in the clearance category
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

TxFire
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TxFire »

Thanks for the Fenix review. I've been looking at them and wondered how they compared.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I saw his light at the range on Saturday and was impressed. I'll be ordering one.

Chas.

Velocity
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Flashlight Review - Fenix vs. Surefire

Post by Velocity »

Wow - taking a look at their variety of lights, I came across this one :

http://fenix-store.com/product_info.php ... cts_id=171

The Fenix P1D maxed out at 135 lumens (even if only for an hour) out of a single CR123A battery! Standard mode of 72 lumens is still nearly twice the Surefire E1L I currently carry.

The P1D appears to have MUCH more output as well as more versatility out of a smaller package. Will definitely be giving it a try!

Thanks for the review!

sebis

Post by sebis »

Velocity wrote:Wow - taking a look at their variety of lights, I came across this one :

http://fenix-store.com/product_info.php ... cts_id=171

The Fenix P1D maxed out at 135 lumens (even if only for an hour) out of a single CR123A battery! Standard mode of 72 lumens is still nearly twice the Surefire E1L I currently carry.

The P1D appears to have MUCH more output as well as more versatility out of a smaller package. Will definitely be giving it a try!

Thanks for the review!

I have the P1D CE with the new Cree LED, all I can say is AWESOME. At half the size of my e2e and more then twice the lumens it beats the Surefire hands down. However, for "tactical" purposes is too small and doesn't have a momentary switch. This is may new EDC attached to the key ring, the e2e was relegated to nightstand duty.

In the beginning I wasn't too fond of LED lights, I have a Streamlight TLR-1 and I wasn't impressed. With the new Cree LED's thou things have changed, so much better output. I would still use an incandescent light for outdoors, thus I have a M2 Millennium attached to the AR.

For everyone interested there is a great website with flashlight reviews: http://flashlightreviews.com/.

--Sebis

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

I haven't seen an LED that impresses me, although admittedly I haven't tried all the newest versions.

The problem with LEDs is that they are extremely bright, but of a narrow band of wavelength. They're blinding when shined in the eye, but they illuminate poorly.

For now, I'm sticking with incandescent. I love my "Cyclops" lights that were in Sam's and Costco last fall, at about $20 for two lights and four CR123 batteries. They're not regulated, so they're no Surefires, but they're well made and do the job.

Kevin

Jacob Staff

Post by Jacob Staff »

Check out http://www.lighthound.com/ for flashlights, knives, ect.

These guys have great prices and service and are located in Pearland.

I picked up a Fenix P1D CE 5 for my Dad and saved on shipping. They had 2 lights to compare and let me pick which one I thought had the best light.

The P1D has only 1 CR123 battery and with the Cree LED it was really bright and the different light levels worked well. I bet the P3D with 3 batteries is really bright.

The new LED's still don't have as much "throw" as an incandescent but they are gaining ground quickly.
TXDPSA TSRA NRA

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

The Cree LED's are certainly far superior to the LED's that came before.

technically the P3D has only 2 batteries.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, VCDL Member

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

I buy my CR123 batteries from one of the advertisers on flashlightreviews.com:

http://www.amondotech.com/

They're only $1.25 apiece.

Velocity

Post by Velocity »

sebis wrote: I have the P1D CE with the new Cree LED, all I can say is AWESOME. At half the size of my e2e and more then twice the lumens it beats the Surefire hands down. However, for "tactical" purposes is too small and doesn't have a momentary switch. This is may new EDC attached to the key ring, the e2e was relegated to nightstand duty.
I ordered the P1D CE last night, and received the shipping acknowledgement earlier today - good service so far! After looking at the pictures of the light, I figured the "tactical" use of this light might be limited (why oh why can't Fenix have a momentary/on-off switch?), but it definitely looks like an impressive light otherwise.

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

I tried my Fenix P3D out at the park last night.

The performance was impressive. In the turbo mode (160 lumens), the beam quality was good and it was execeptionally bright. I could see clearly what the light was pointing at. The light color is not quite as 'warm' as a surefire, but blows away the MAGLITE LED upgrade. Really, my 4-D cell MAGLITE with LED upgrade is pathetic in comparison to the Fenix P3D.

What's nice too is that the 123 batteries I'm using in the Fenix were batteries that had run about 75% down in my Surefire. But with the digital power regulation, the Fenix light still puts out lots of light.

The P3D's turbo mode switches between off/160 lumens/strobe. I think the light would be better without the strobe, but a little practice and the strobe isn't too much of a problem. It only switches accidentally every now and then.

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Fenix has released a somewhat more powerful version of the P3D, the Rebel Premium 100:

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_inf ... 2240d5214c

It's 25% brighter, with a somewhat improved beam pattern. The old center beam was a big squarish, but is very nicely rounded on the Rebel Premium 100.

The Rebel Premium 100 is a bit more 'tactical' than the standard version. It has a bit more texturing(not shown on the picture, but the front has some texturing now and the tail-switch is textured). It now has a waterproof rating (4ft). As near as I can tell, the company increased waterproofing by greasing the threads on the front and back of the flashlight. An easy upgrade.

The 10% off "PREORDER10" coupon worked for me.

My FIL needed a flashlight, so I gave him my old P3D and picked up the Rebel Premium 100 for myself.

Flashlight technology has been changing so fast that I must have spent more than $200 on flashlights this year, but some of the money spent ended up as gifts and I feel substantially better off (flashlight-wise) than 1 year ago.

RetiredE9

Post by RetiredE9 »

A question and a comment.
Has anyone played with one of those shake up flashlights? I've been considering one for one of my survival kits so I can do away with battery rotation.

I guess coming from law enforcement I still like the solid heft of a four cell SL-20 Streamlight or similar maglight. Find 'em in the dark and then whack 'em!

Dual functionality is so appealing!!!!
I'd rather be lucky than good

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

RetiredE9 wrote:A question and a comment.
Has anyone played with one of those shake up flashlights? I've been considering one for one of my survival kits so I can do away with battery rotation.
I've got one tucked away in my kit. It's not a real bright light but okay for emergencies.
RetiredE9 wrote:I guess coming from law enforcement I still like the solid heft of a four cell SL-20 Streamlight or similar maglight. Find 'em in the dark and then whack 'em!

Dual functionality is so appealing!!!!
I still keep a few of those on hand too! :lol:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”