Oiling a New Leather Holster (Inside)

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Pecos
Posts in topic: 4

Oiling a New Leather Holster (Inside)

Post by Pecos »

Im getting a new Bianchi 57 Remedy Holster Fits Glock 19, 23 tomorrow. In the reviews some one said they had to oil the inside of the holster.
Is this something I need to do? Thanks.
What Oil do I use???? :headscratch
Attachments
41MyOR+H6vL__SX425_.jpg
Sig AR 516 + Vortex PST Scope

Topic author
Pecos

Re: Oiling a New Leather Holster (Inside)

Post by Pecos »

I never her of this. I was hoping some one could give me some info on this? :???:

Taurus.40
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Taurus.40 »

I've heard of people using something called Hide Glide.
NRA member

apostate

Post by apostate »

Oil softens leather which is not what I want for a holster. There are silicon (?) lubes that can be used to make a leather holster slick without being absorbed and making it limp. What do your holster's care instructions say?

maximus2161

Post by maximus2161 »

Believe it or not something that I used for years for leather holsters is Doc Martin Wonderbalm. Yes the stuff you put on shoes. For example a lot of leather holsters (especially production leather like Galco, DeSantis, Hume,etc) tend to be kinda rough inside and accelerate wear on a gun. I personally noticed this. Applying this stuff softens and smooths the leather. It doesnt take much. Just rub into the leather and you are good to go. It also did not soften up the holster to cause it to lose its rigidness.

Thats what I use and its worked great.

Oh I was in a gun store in Ft. Worth a long while back and a sales guy told be to use Vaseline to smooth and soften a leather holster. Thats bad advice as that will break down leather.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

I've seen photos of people who had softened their holster with various products that resulted in holster failure that to the point they shot themselves. I'd never even consider putting oil of any kind on a holster.

As far as holster wear goes, I regard a gun as a tool, not a fashion accessory. A little honest holster wear is no big deal. In fact, a great used gun buy are LEO trade-ins, as these have usually been worn a lot but shot little.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

I would not use any oil or softener on a holster other than maybe the leather portion of a kydex holster.

Softening the leather defeats the purpose of having a custom fitted holster.
NRA Endowment Member

RiverRat

Post by RiverRat »

No oil!

Apart from compromising the shape (molding) by softening the leather, it will make sticky on drawing because of the shape collapsing. Another negative is that oil will attach and hold dirt inside the holster causing more wear on the surface of the pistol, much like emery paper. Please don't do it.

If you are looking to decrease friction on the draw, you can use a wax/balm or for that matter, good old Turtle Wax that doesn't have any strange additives (it has to dry out completely). It will close the pores of the leather and provide a little bit of lubrication for drawing. Just make sure it dries well and is polished out.
Life member NRA and TSRA

Topic author
Pecos

Post by Pecos »

Thanks everyone. I got the holster today. The manufacture (Bianchi) instructions said to use silicone spray on the inside & plastic bag over the gun when holstering unloaded gun.
Leave it overnight then that's all to break in the holster. I just used a little silicone (Very little). as the holster wear a little it will be fine.
Clean the holster with mild dish soap.
Thanks for all the insight & advice. :thumbs2:

Gunner4640

Post by Gunner4640 »

Nice looking holster Pecos.. I have one that looks the same but a different brand "Tagua" i can carry my and 1911 in the same holster :txflag:
Dave & Wife NRA Members
Too many guns to list> :lol::

Topic author
Pecos

Post by Pecos »

Gunner4640 wrote:Nice looking holster Pecos.. I have one that looks the same but a different brand "Tagua" i can carry my and 1911 in the same holster :txflag:
Thanks. I also have a Tagua left handed belt slide holster for my G22/17. It didn't need breaking in the inside is lined with suade or something. It's a great holster!!!! :thumbs2:

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Pecos wrote:Thanks everyone. I got the holster today. The manufacture (Bianchi) instructions said to use silicone spray on the inside & plastic bag over the gun when holstering unloaded gun.
Leave it overnight then that's all to break in the holster. I just used a little silicone (Very little). as the holster wear a little it will be fine.
Clean the holster with mild dish soap.
Thanks for all the insight & advice. :thumbs2:
I generously wet the inside of a new leather holster with silicone spray before putting the gun in it overnight. The carrier evaporates rapidly and leaves lots of invisible silicone on the leather. That's usually all it takes to get it ready for carry.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

rockinar

Post by rockinar »

Only oil the part of the holster that you want to ruin.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”