Topic author
Idjut
Posts in topic: 3

Looking for a .22

Post by Idjut »

Okay, I have decided to buy a .22 target pistol for a variety of reasons:

1) Cheap to shoot.
2) Seems like fun.
3) Don't care if anybody snickers behind my back at the range.
4) Improve shooting skills.
5) Cheap to shoot.

So far the only pistol I've seen that I would consider buying is a Ruger Competition Target Model (KMK678GC .22LR), but my search is in its early stage.

Any suggestions in this price range ($400 retail, or so).?
Nothing in this world is more surprising than the attack without mercy! -from Little Big Man

DSARGE
Posts in topic: 2

Post by DSARGE »

I've got a Ruger S/A revolver that I absolutely love to shoot! It is .22, or change the cylinder and it's .22 mag. I carry it hunting in the heat for snakes, and love to plink with it. It is a western style, cheap to shoot, and fun to have around. Sometimes I can even hit with it, too!
I found the Lord again--although he never lost me!

DSARGE
Posts in topic: 2

Post by DSARGE »

Sorry--I paid around $250 for it in the box
I found the Lord again--although he never lost me!

kauboy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by kauboy »

We just picked up a Walther P22 for the wife a few weeks ago for $289 if I remember correctly. Great little pistol. We got the 3.5in barrel version but I'm sure the 5 incher with the compensator is even more accurate.
"People should not be afraid of their Governments.
Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

KRM45
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Looking for a .22

Post by KRM45 »

Idjut wrote:Okay, I have decided to buy a .22 target pistol for a variety of reasons:

Any suggestions in this price range ($400 retail, or so).?
I've got a Walther P-22 that is fun to shoot. it also resembles a defensive type hadgun in the way it functions more than most .22 pistols I have seen.

I also have a Ruger 22/45 that is much more accurate than the Walther, but not as fun to shoot for me.

I paid under $300 for each of them.

Lodge2004

Post by Lodge2004 »

I've owned both pistols. Had the Walther for a few months and traded it for a Ruger.

Although the Walther is fun to shoot, I was looking for a target pistol. For casual plinking, I'd pick the Walther. For practicing marksmanship skills or teaching a new shooter, I'd go with the Ruger.

Jim101

Post by Jim101 »

I have a Ruger 22/45 with a red dot and a Ruger Single Six. Both see alot of time at the range............

Jim
NRA, TSRA

Thane

Post by Thane »

I'm gonna go a different route: High Standard. Not a new pistol, but an old High Standard in good condition. They're easy enough to plink with, but accurate enough for anything less than Olympic target work (and some exceptions will hold their own even there).

I found a 6.75" barreled HB at the last gunshow. The pistol will shoot the eye out of a fly at twenty paces, if the shooter is capable. The trigger is a crisp, reasonably light single-action pull, and it has an external hammer (no need to dry-fire to relieve tension on the springs). While it's not a "target pistol" (lighter barrel and no adjustable sights), it's supremely accurate nonetheless, and will place rounds exactly at the point of aim.

I'm giving thought to selling my Ruger Mk. II because of this pistol. The Ruger, while good, just isn't the same level of fun or accuracy.

piro

Post by piro »

2nd on the ruger 22/45 mark IV. First pistol I ever bought along with my .22 lr :)

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

kauboy wrote:We just picked up a Walther P22 for the wife a few weeks ago for $289 if I remember correctly. Great little pistol. We got the 3.5in barrel version but I'm sure the 5 incher with the compensator is even more accurate.
Just FYI, the 5" version isn't compensated. It has fake comp cuts. I'm sure the extra length and weight help with accuracy, but it is not compensated. (And compensation would be just plain silly on a .22 LR not used for Olympic Bullseye, anyway.)

That said, the P22 feels great in the hand, and has changeable backstraps for different hand sizes. I haven't shot one, but I like the feel and pointability. The mag release is a little odd, though.

Kevin

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

I have a Ruger .22/45 and enjoy the heck out of it. I even went so far as to mount an inexpensive red dot sight on it (well I lost the original front sight) and think it's the nuts for casual plinking and cheap range time.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

BobCat

Post by BobCat »

It is well over your budget new, but you see them used sometimes - a Smith & Wesson Model 41.

Cheapest I've seen new was $710 at a gun show. I bought mine for about $450 used and it is the best .22 I have. Everyone who has shot it loved it.

You may be outraged with my suggesting you spend that kind of money on a .22 pistol, but once you shoot one your outrage will cool down. It is a pistol you can plink with, shoot seriously in .22 Bulleye matches, pass along to your grandchildren, and - if push comes to shove financially - sell for a significant portion of what you paid for it (if you ever really need to).

Regards,
Andrew

edited for spelling
Retractable claws; the *original* concealed carry

Popshot

Post by Popshot »

Browning is also a good choice.

Older models: My dad had a Browning Challenger with long barrel and thick target stocks. It was very accurate, but I had some trouble with the grip angle - very Luger-like.

Current models: My wife has a Browning Buckmark - Camper model with a heavy bull barrel. It shoots very well, and it is not even the top of their line.
Gun control = hitting where you aim

seamusTX

Re: Looking for a .22

Post by seamusTX »

Idjut wrote:3) Don't care if anybody snickers behind my back at the range.
That's good. I shoot .22 several times more than any other caliber, and I haven't caught anyone laughing at me.

I have a Dan Wesson .22 revolver. These pieces are no longer manufactured and cost $300 and up. Smith & Wesson K-frame .22s are easier to find and just as good.

- Jim

shootthesheet

BERETTA NEOS

Post by shootthesheet »

Beretta Neos look different but are accurate. I have put around 6000 rounds thru mine. I got it for $209 at Academy.

As far as true target .22s, I don't really know what you can get new for that price. You may be able to find a used one somewhere.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”