Hey Stores, I'm going to remember.....I promise!!!

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
chuckybrown
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Hey Stores, I'm going to remember.....I promise!!!

Post by chuckybrown »

Just got back from Carter's Country. They had 525 count boxes of .22 for $29.95.

Some will say that's just the market today...but look at places like Academy. Not one of their stores ratcheting up prices. I picked up a box of 9mm for $11.99 the other day. Same box at Carter's was $21.99 today.

'Ol Bill, if you're reading this....someday things will cool down, and folks like me will remember. You cannot claim your prices are going up if the competition's prices are static.

I know I'll get flamed by the "free market" responders. I get it.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox now..... :tiphat:
Chuckybrown

Dave2

Re: Hey Stores, I'm going to remember.....I promise!!!

Post by Dave2 »

chuckybrown wrote:Just got back from Carter's Country. They had 525 count boxes of .22 for $29.95.

Some will say that's just the market today...but look at places like Academy. Not one of their stores ratcheting up prices. I picked up a box of 9mm for $11.99 the other day. Same box at Carter's was $21.99 today.

'Ol Bill, if you're reading this....someday things will cool down, and folks like me will remember. You cannot claim your prices are going up if the competition's prices are static.

Why would you get flamed? You deciding that Carter Country charges too much is the free market economy at work.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

chuckybrown wrote:Just got back from Carter's Country. They had 525 count boxes of .22 for $29.95.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox now..... :tiphat:
i'm with you on this.They can say free market, I can say freedom to spend my money elsewhere. :txflag:
Bill
CHL 2002
NRA life member
TSRA Endowment member
TWA member

bulinm

Post by bulinm »

Me, too.
Dallas

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doin' in a rustic setting like this ?

alvins

Post by alvins »

and what were you expecting from carters country?i havent shopped there in the last 10 years because of their poor service and salesmen that treat you like your stupid.and their prices on guns arent that great either.

I have even heard the same old tired line of well we have a gunsmith on site if somthing breaks.yea if your gunsmith was worth a darn.lol

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Yep.... I agree. This is the perfect example of the free market economy at work. Once enough folks do like you and go elsewhere, they will drop the prices or suffer a loss in business.

michael e

Post by michael e »

Carters has always been high, so what did they charge last November for the same ammo?
I only buy powder, bullets, primers from then when need a small amount. They are only a little over priced for those items. They acutally dropped primer prices in the last few months, not a large drop but they are still about the same as all other places and lower than Bass .

steve817

Post by steve817 »

I find $29.99 a lot easier to swallow than the $48.99 they were charging at the range the other day.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.."
-- Ronald Reagan

Wes

Post by Wes »

$29?! That's it? I'll take two! Might be higher than yesterday but today, that's not bad really. I've seen a LOT worse.
Alliance Arsenal - Firearms and transfers in north Ft. Worth

nyj

Post by nyj »

I went to a small gun store yesterday, and to my surprise, they had just about every caliber in stock; even 10mm. However, their prices were insane. I went to Academy and got what I needed.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Sometimes...

"When you feed the beast, it is hard for the beast to determine where the meal ends, and your hand starts..." ~ Stevie-D, 2013
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Ericstac
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Ericstac »

I used to feel the same way but then it was explained to me that stores that dedicate themselves to guns and ammo rely solely on gun and ammo profits to cover overhead expenses each month. Places like academy and walmart are so diversified that the profits from one or two categories doesn't affect them if they are lost. So the gun stores that raise the prices during difficult times is due to needing that profit support by us since the restock of all their merchandise is slowed and their normal profit will not cover the expenses each month since they are currently being limited to what they can get back into stock. This is just for overall sakes.. I don't buy from Carter's due to the attitude they present and their pricing, new or old.

Of course, as a consumer we have the right to buy wherever we please which most of us choose to buy from walmart and academy when it's in stock.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Ericstac wrote: Of course, as a consumer we have the right to buy wherever we please which most of us choose to buy from walmart and academy when it's in stock.
If more people voted intelligently with their purchases, many of our problems in the marketplace wouldn't exist. While only a few of us here remember what happened during the the gas "crisis" in 1973, it was the perfect market driven scenario. With the "shortage", many of the gas stations raised their prices more than the market would bear. Within 6 months of the return more normal flow of gas, all of those stations had been boycotted by the consumers and were out of business. On commodity type purchases, buying places that consider customers rather than just picking the next store to make the purchase helps to weed out those who will be more customer friendly in a crisis.

I guess I don't have as much problem with the $29.95 price as I do empty shelves right now. I did a good job of stocking up on the larger calibers but got caught short on .22LR. I never expected the supply of it to dry up the way that it has. While $30 for a brick is double what I paid before, I would eagerly pick up a couple so that I was more comfortable shooting it more often.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

525 round brick of .22lr was $250 at Young's Jewelry & Guns in Kerrville a couple of weeks ago. They were basically using it as an advertising come-on "..we've got 22 ammo in stock..", yeah, right.

Like I always say, vote with your wallet...
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Ericstac wrote:I used to feel the same way but then it was explained to me that stores that dedicate themselves to guns and ammo rely solely on gun and ammo profits to cover overhead expenses each month. Places like academy and walmart are so diversified that the profits from one or two categories doesn't affect them if they are lost. So the gun stores that raise the prices during difficult times is due to needing that profit support by us since the restock of all their merchandise is slowed and their normal profit will not cover the expenses each month since they are currently being limited to what they can get back into stock. This is just for overall sakes.. I don't buy from Carter's due to the attitude they present and their pricing, new or old.

Of course, as a consumer we have the right to buy wherever we please which most of us choose to buy from walmart and academy when it's in stock.
Exactly correct! Most individuals who work for companies rather than owning a business, seem to have trouble grasping this concept. Unfortunately for the individual mom and pop store who actually keep the money they make in our local communities, people tend to look for price. So they spend their money at academy and Walmart so these stores can send the money offshore and hire cheap labor to produce more goods at lower prices. The whole process is a suicide of sorts but what the heck? We saved a couple bucks! Who cares if it eventually works its way back around to bite us in the rump.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”