Basic Defensive Pistol Training

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
MikeStone
Posts in topic: 3

Basic Defensive Pistol Training

Post by MikeStone »

I've had my CHL 8 months now. I'm OK on the range, but would like to hone my skills:

- Holster work
- Site picture/target acquisition
- Move & shoot
- Pistol retention
etc...

I'm going to try the "Intro to Dynamic Defensive Handgun" at Gander Mountain, but I'm guessing there is only so much they can show in 4 hours.

Are there any certified instructors in the Houston (better yet Humble, Baytown, Atascocita) areas that offer training?

Thanks for the referrals.
"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."

- Thomas Jefferson

OldGrumpy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Basic Defensive Pistol Training

Post by OldGrumpy »

Have you checked NRA site. Seems like I remember them offering a course like this. :txflag:
Love God, Family, USA, and Texas
Act justly, love mercy, walk humbly with God - Micah 6:8

Divided Attention

Post by Divided Attention »

You listed Humble.. If you would be willing to go as far north as Conroe, Thunder Shooting Academy/Shooters Club has some great offerings at reasonable prices. I just attended a defensive pistol and basic Shotgun class for ladies this weekend. They have quite an assortment of classes. We have taken defensive carbine, many defensive pistol including low light, strong hand weak hand. Great group of coaches and instructors.

Good on you for wanting to continue your training.
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

DPS classes are cutting the ammo requirement. The DPS 1 I took required about 100-120 rounds down from 150. We did quite a bit of dry fire drills.

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

If you are in the right age group, there are a few men in your town who can arrange for weapons training, take care of your job needs, USAA eligibility, get you in shape AND the thanks of a grateful nation. ;-)

Failing that, OpSpec Training.com has some terrific instructors, and holds weekend sessions all over the country. Keep an eye out for them. http://opspectraining.com/

Look out for the Bruce Gray article on dry-firing, too. In the meantime, here is a video:

[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by JALLEN on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Topic author
MikeStone

Post by MikeStone »

JALLEN wrote:If you are in the right age group, there are a few men in your town who can arrange for weapons training, take care of your job needs, USAA eligibility, get you in shape AND the thanks of a grateful nation. ;-)

Yeah, I'm a bit past that age! I'm guessing our armed forces have less need for 40-somethings!

- Thomas Jefferson

Sputz

Post by Sputz »

OldGrumpy wrote:Have you checked NRA site. Seems like I remember them offering a course like this. :txflag:
They have a few courses called personal protection inside the home, personal protection outside the home and defensive pistol. Go here to find a course near you http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sputz

TDDude

Post by TDDude »

The most cost effective way to get some basic defensive pistol training is to simply join up with your local IDPA club. It's mucho fun, very addictive, slightly competitive, and a great way to spend an evening with like-minded folks.

Most clubs are always looking for new shooters and if you’re observant, you will learn very quickly. What you don’t learn on your own, there will be no shortage of experienced shooters willing to help.

If you’re made of money, by all means go spend a couple thousand on a week in the desert but for my money, and to get a consistent weekly regimen in, I’m all over IDPA.
Ray F.
Luke 22:35-38 "Gear up boys, I gotta go and it's gonna get rough." JC
-- Darrell Royal, former UT football coach - "If worms carried pistols, birds wouldn't eat 'em."

cbunt1

Post by cbunt1 »

TDDude wrote:The most cost effective way to get some basic defensive pistol training is to simply join up with your local IDPA club. It's mucho fun, very addictive, slightly competitive, and a great way to spend an evening with like-minded folks.

Most clubs are always looking for new shooters and if you’re observant, you will learn very quickly. What you don’t learn on your own, there will be no shortage of experienced shooters willing to help.

If you’re made of money, by all means go spend a couple thousand on a week in the desert but for my money, and to get a consistent weekly regimen in, I’m all over IDPA.
:iagree:

Although IDPA is definitely *not* training, in the traditional sense, it's a great place to get started and HANDLE your weapon in a simulated real-life situation. If you're like most of us, you'll find that the "administrative" handling of your gun day to day will improve, and you'll learn very quickly what works and what doesn't, in the equipment and methodology sense. Most of us have changed the way we carry and handle our guns just through doing it.

Plus, it's a fun friendly atmosphere full of like-minded folks. We support and coach each other, and everyone learns from everyone else. From there, you'll have a better feel for what you want/need to learn about in more formal training classes--which ALWAYS increases the value of the time and money you spend.

It's no substitute for training, but at about the cost of a night of bowling, it's a great investment and movement toward the reality of carrying and using a gun.

And you'll likely run into some professional trainers there...its always good to take your next-level training from someone you've seen shoot, and who has seen you shoot--makes for a much easier and more productive conversation about what you need to work on on training day.
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

Topic author
MikeStone

Post by MikeStone »

Took the Gander Mountain Academy class, "Intro to Dynamic Defensive Pistol" last night. Overall I was impressed. The course was only $99 for 4 hours.

We had a blast! There were only two of us and we had two instructors for most of the time. (They've been hurt by ammo shortages.) The instructors were knowledgeable and enthusiastic.

The content was fairly basic, but a good starting point for a newbie (like me) or as a refresher. We worked on grip, stance, draw technique, point shooting technique, transition from point to sight shooting, and practice techniques. They kept it to a minimum in the classroom. We did 100 rounds of live-fire and then we spent time in the 300 degree simulator on scenario work. If you haven't done that...try it because it's fun...

- Thomas Jefferson

MamaK

Post by MamaK »

MikeStone wrote:I've had my CHL 8 months now. I'm OK on the range, but would like to hone my skills:

- Holster work
- Site picture/target acquisition
- Move & shoot
- Pistol retention
etc...

I'm going to try the "Intro to Dynamic Defensive Handgun" at Gander Mountain, but I'm guessing there is only so much they can show in 4 hours.

Are there any certified instructors in the Houston (better yet Humble, Baytown, Atascocita) areas that offer training?

Thanks for the referrals.
There are at least two companies that either hire or are run by old BWIC guys (Blackwater "in country" meaning overseas security contractors) - I would go to them first if you are really serious. The first being Amerishield & http://www.ronintactical.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (the guy is "Levi".), Around the Houston area, their bwic occasionally teaches out of Patriot Arms in Galveston. Both are NRA certified, the Patriot Arms one is also a CHL. In Dallas there are two that are NRA instructors but I think they are still working contracts, so Im not sure if they are stateside. One I think also designs holsters. The Patriot Arms one has worked with NPSI, so I presume that some of their instructors can also help you.

However if you arent that picky, there are tons of "tactical" shooting instructors - I see their flyers all the time at the range. (You have to ask around to ahold of the BWIC ones.)

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

NRA Personal Protection In the Home and Personal Protection Out of the Home are a great way to get your basics on Personal Protection. My buddy Richard and I finished teaching the whole series to a group of students. Nearly all already had a CHL and took all three classes starting with Basic Handgun. The NRA classes use proven teaching techniques and stress safety and marksmanship. I think all CHL holders should get additional training and the NRA Classes are an excellent starting point. Richard and I will be doing another series in a couple of months. Keep an eye on the site for an announcement of when and where.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”