A 1911 Convert!

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
wrightcrew
Posts in topic: 1

A 1911 Convert!

Post by wrightcrew »

Unlike some of you, I've only been shooting handguns for about a year or so. Up until today, my experience has been solely with Glocks and Springfield XD types. After reading so many posts about the virtues of the 1911, I decided to see how one felt in my hand, so I checked out a Taurus PT1911 at the Fort Worth gun show a couple of weeks ago. It felt good, so I bought it as my wife's Christmas present to me. She insisted on wrapping it and leaving it in the safe until yesterday morning.

Since the range was closed yesterday, all I got to do was clean and lube it. Three of us in the family got guns for Christmas (go ahead, insert jokes here!), so the whole family headed to the range this afternoon. I gotta say that even though many of you speak highly of how the 1911 shoots, my expectations were waaaay too low! That has got to be the best feeling and shooting gun I've ever experienced! I'm sure the more expensive ones are even better, but right now, I can't imagine how! I only got to put 50 rounds through it since most of my time at the range was spent with the young ones and their new 22's, but I can already tell that my love for the 1911 will most likely be lifelong condition!

So, thanks to all of you 1911 people who turned me on to this fantastic gun!

MrDrummy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MrDrummy »

Doesn't a single-action, crisp trigger feel so nice?

Welcome to the club ;-)

:party:

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Skiprr »

:woohoo

Longtooth! Another convert!

Congratulations, wrightcrew. I've never fired a Taurus, but just keep it clean and lubricated and I'm sure you'll like it even more after a couple hundred rounds to break it in.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

longtooth
Posts in topic: 5

Post by longtooth »

I rest my case. ;-)
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

Congrats on the new pistola and welcome to the light. ;-)

Only one thing left to say about this.......

I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Glock...

Hey, I just had too!!! I'm bored here at the office!!!
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

BTW, just to be on the record...

I have a 1911 as well...

Of course I relieved it from my Dad...

He wasn't using it!!! And it was up on a shelf collecting dust and rust, and was loaded for 15 years sitting up there!!!

I've given it a nice home, cleaned it up, in a dehumidified gunsafe...

I think that should count as something...right???
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

sjones

Post by sjones »

uh oh,another one gets the fever,funny how a 100 year old gun just keeps gaining converts. :smile: sj

texas297
Posts in topic: 3

Re: A 1911 Convert!

Post by texas297 »

wrightcrew wrote:Unlike some of you, I've only been shooting handguns for about a year or so. Up until today, my experience has been solely with Glocks and Springfield XD types. After reading so many posts about the virtues of the 1911, I decided to see how one felt in my hand, so I checked out a Taurus PT1911 at the Fort Worth gun show a couple of weeks ago. It felt good, so I bought it as my wife's Christmas present to me. She insisted on wrapping it and leaving it in the safe until yesterday morning.

Since the range was closed yesterday, all I got to do was clean and lube it. Three of us in the family got guns for Christmas (go ahead, insert jokes here!), so the whole family headed to the range this afternoon. I gotta say that even though many of you speak highly of how the 1911 shoots, my expectations were waaaay too low! That has got to be the best feeling and shooting gun I've ever experienced! I'm sure the more expensive ones are even better, but right now, I can't imagine how! I only got to put 50 rounds through it since most of my time at the range was spent with the young ones and their new 22's, but I can already tell that my love for the 1911 will most likely be lifelong condition!

So, thanks to all of you 1911 people who turned me on to this fantastic gun!
Congrats. Can't wait to see it. Lets try to get to the range pretty soon. I need to work on drawing with my new holster.

Shu

Post by Shu »

I just got this gun for Christmas as well I have yet to shoot it going to down to the deer lease for new years with 200 rounds. I have done a lot of research on the 1911 and decided with the taurus you cant beat the price for all the upgrades this gun has. Someone also told me it might win gun of the year. Congrats on the purchase

Texasdoc

Post by Texasdoc »

Well I am back to a 1911 as my daily carry and its a good feeling to know I have a good gun to boot.

I am a Former Glock and H&K guy.

Now I am Back with 1911 and its going to be that way now on.

300shooter
Shoot more,then Reload and Shoot somemore. Image

http://www.texasguntalk.com

Reysc
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Reysc »

It's a disease!!! :grin: :grin: It's not to late since it's just your first one!! Sell it to us cheap so it goes fast and you can easily forget about it!! If you won't heed this advise, then you will find yourself drooling for other makes and models.. Hey, a commander size would be niece! And of course, you gotta have an officer's model for concealed carry :lol: Anyway, welcome to the 1911 world!! I got in maybe six months ago and I have five 1911's..I just need one more and I'm done. I need to have a Les Baer or a Wison Combat!! Oh goodness!!!
ReySC
Last edited by Reysc on Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

casselthief
Banned

Post by casselthief »

I hear Glocks cause renal insufficiency!
and all their clones are worse!!!!
"Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun..."

TX Rancher

Post by TX Rancher »

Reysc wrote:Anyway, welcome to the 1911 world!! I got in maybe six months ago and I have five 1911's..I just need one more and I'm done. I need to have a Les Baer or a Wison Combat!! Oh goodness!!!
ReySC
Now you see, there's your problem. You have this 1911 thing all wrong. First of all, you never have enough and you never say only one more unless your talking to the boss (you know, your wife or major female in your life).

I need to have a Les Baer or a Wilson? Come on, it should be Les Baer and a Wilson. :cool:

Wrightcrew:

The folks are right, there's no turning back now. Welcome into the light, John Moses Browning is pleased you have now found "The True Way. :grin:

Reysc
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Reysc »

TX Rancher wrote:
Reysc wrote:Anyway, welcome to the 1911 world!! I got in maybe six months ago and I have five 1911's..I just need one more and I'm done. I need to have a Les Baer or a Wison Combat!! Oh goodness!!!
ReySC
Now you see, there's your problem. You have this 1911 thing all wrong. First of all, you never have enough and you never say only one more unless your talking to the boss (you know, your wife or major female in your life).

I need to have a Les Baer or a Wilson? Come on, it should be Les Baer and a Wilson. :cool:

Wrightcrew:

The folks are right, there's no turning back now. Welcome into the light, John Moses Browning is pleased you have now found "The True Way. :grin:
You are right, TX Rancher!! You see I was in a denial mode.. LOL!!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”