Possibly My First Handgun

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Wysiwyg101
Posts in topic: 6

Possibly My First Handgun

Post by Wysiwyg101 »

Ok, I have been doing my research and trying out different handguns for several months now. I have been to several pawn shops, gun shops, and Gun Shows. I have read up on safety issues and read pretty much most of what you guys have had to say about that topic and guns in general. I have gone back and forth on calibers (basically from .40 to 9mm) and back again a few times. I have been interested in several weapons including the XD, the XD(m), Keltec, Kahr, Ruger and so on and so forth. I have pretty much decided upon the handgun of choice based on a variety of factors, reputation of the manufacturer and the handgun itself, cost, availability, cost of ammunition, concealability when I finally get my CHL and so on.

My choice is the Ruger SR9C. It's a weapon that has been priced very affordable and so far as what I have read it has a great reputation so far as an awesome little compact firearm. 9mm seems to be the best, cheapest ammo around. I considered a .40 pretty seriously, but that cost issue and the increased "snap" I have heard about concerning the compact pistols have turned me towards the 9mm.

Now, like I said earlier, I have been to several gun shows over the past year. I plan on going tomorrow morning to the show at the Irving Convention Center (where I have attended once before) and it's quite possible, if I find a good enough deal on my choice of weapon, I may just come out of there with my very first handgun.

Is there anything I should look for in dealing with exhibitors at the gun show? Will they haggle at all? Is there any advice you can give me about the experience (not counting the advice "Get a 1911/XD/XD(m)/SR1911/SR40C/.40/.45/etc...lol)? Can you buy a gun and ammunition at the same time?

If I do indeed purchase a firearm, I will remember the saying that I have seen here so many times, "If there aren't any pictures, it didn't happen!"

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Possibly My First Handgun

Post by seamusTX »

Just do it. Rugers are perfectly fine.

There will always be someone telling you that carrying X caliber makes you a walking dead man—but most Americans die in bed of natural causes.

The big advantage of 9 mm is that you can shoot a lot without going broke. Police agencies and military forces all over the world depend upon it.

Then if you decide you want a more specialized round you can step up to it. Everyone needs at least two serious self-defense handguns, and you can always use the 9 mm for practice.
Is there anything I should look for in dealing with exhibitors at the gun show? Will they haggle at all?
Maybe someone can tell you which dealers have a good reputation in the Dallas area. There are dealers who are at every gun show and deal honestly. Some may come down in price if asked. Some may not.
Can you buy a gun and ammunition at the same time?
It is perfectly legal to do so in Texas.

Maybe some other states or some corporate retailers don't allow it. I don't know. These rules change all the time. There was an incident a few years ago where a lunatic bought a gun and ammo at a mass-market store that will go unnamed and shot his estranged wife who worked there. That created some restrictive policies.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

Topic author
Wysiwyg101

Post by Wysiwyg101 »

Awesome advice. Thank you very much SeamusTX. I really do appreciate you taking the time to read my lengthy post and then to respond to it.

AEA
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AEA »

Take CASH with you. It is easier to haggle price when you have a fist full of cash (instead of CC).
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

AEA wrote:Take CASH with you. It is easier to haggle price when you have a fist full of cash...
Good point. Also you can say, "Gee, I just have X dollars. Can we agree to that?"

I used to do that with cars, back when I bought beaters.

- Jim

Topic author
Wysiwyg101

Post by Wysiwyg101 »

Thanks Alan and to you as well again Jim. Cash is what I got and cash is what they'll get. Hopefully I can come away with a great deal and my first firearm. I am so looking forward to this. My wife, on the other hand, isn't...lol. But, I think she'll come around eventually. Maybe if I take her to the range and let her shoot it she'll change her mind.

¿Qué?

Post by ¿Qué? »

In addition to cash helping with negotiation leverage, it also saves you 3% at many gun show dealers.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Thanks.

I would be remiss if I didn't suggest buying a .22. Actually I would suggest a .22 rifle. They are easy to shoot accurately, quieter and safer than a handgun. Beginning shooters find them much less intimidating than centerfire handguns—which, when you're talking about a compact 9 mm, can be pretty snappy.

You also can't argue with 500 rounds of .22LR for $15 versus 50 rounds of 9 mm for the same price. You can literally shoot .22LR like it was popcorn.

However, I understand you may not want to spend the best part of $700 in one day, especially not if the lady of the house is skeptical.

This forum has many suggestions for greasing the skids in this regard. You may have to dig a bit to find them.

- Jim

Topic author
Wysiwyg101

Post by Wysiwyg101 »

Thanks again Jim. I have fired weapons before while in the military. Even though that was over 20 years ago I still remember the basics. Getting a .22 is definitely on my list. Possibly a Ruger 10/22 or something similar to that. Maybe even one of those GSG5's. I did go to the range a few weeks ago and fired off about 50 rounds of .40. I did pretty good. Well enough that the range guy told me that if I took the CHL shooting portion I would definitely pass.

Thanks Andy. That's some great advice. I was planning, as per my reading of previous posts just like yours, to shoot at least 200 rounds of FMJ to break the gun in as well as get used to it myself. Maybe even more. I was also planning on getting some JHP run through it to see what it likes and doesn't like. I have read that contrary to popular belief that you can get Ruger Pistol A and fire certain kinds of ammo through it and then get Ruger Pistol B (which is the exact same model as A) and it could possibly not want to fire the same ammo as A. Each firearm is different. Eventually I hope to have the time and resources to go the range at least twice a month and fire off 200 rds of FMJ and at least 50 rounds of JHP both for the benefit of the weapon and to increase my marksmanship skills. And oh yeah, my first weapon will be brand new for sure. I'll think about buying a secondhand weapon later on as I build my collection.

Rick

uthornsfan

Post by uthornsfan »

If you can find a small dealer / individual selling you will be better off and I agree with the others.

Take exactly the amount you want to spend out the door and not a penny more. This is how I purchased my Taurus TCP. I wanted to spend no more than $230. I took $230 told the guy this is all I got and I have a CHL.

SOLD!!!

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

That may be, but most sellers will say, "You bought it—you own it."

Ruger has a pretty good reputation, but as I understand it they decide either to repair their products at no charge or charge a fee. I have no personal experience there.

Hopefully that won't be a problem. In any case, you have to take your chances. No manufacturer offers an absolutely gold-plated guarantee.

- Jim

drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

If you haven't shot the Ruger yet, then rent one and shoot it. It has a different trigger pull than the glock. Ruger sr9 = 12 lb, sr9c = 6.5 lbs, glock = 5.5 to 6 lbs trigger. Glock also has crisper, shorter trigger pull. You might prefer one over the other. Please review the gun afterwards. Thanks.

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

so...........did you buy it or not? Inquiring minds want to know.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”