Between 18 and 21, and handgun possesion

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Weg
Posts in topic: 2

Between 18 and 21, and handgun possesion

Post by Weg »

Is someone between 18 and 21 just flat prohibited from possessing a handgun in Texas, or is it that they just cannot purchase one. My scenario, is my Daughter may soon be getting her own apartment, and is 18. If I give her a .38 (which she is very familiar with), are we both violating the law? Also, is she covered by MPA same as anyone else. Thanks

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Between 18 and 21, and handgun possesion

Post by Pawpaw »

A person must be 21 to purchase from an FFL, but can own a handgun at 18.

She's good to go! :thumbs2:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

AustinPC

Post by AustinPC »

Another consideration may be that the only time she'd be allowed to practice with or purchase ammunition for it would be with you, or someone else who's 21 or older.

Would a nice shotty not be a better choice? I don't know your daughter, stature, familiarity with firearms, etc., but it's just a thought.

Topic author
Weg

Post by Weg »

Thanks for the responses...

tacticool

Post by tacticool »

AustinPC wrote:Another consideration may be that the only time she'd be allowed to practice with or purchase ammunition for it would be with you, or someone else who's 21 or older
What law says she can't practice with it? I know about the 21 requirement for purchasing but that's easy to get around, especially if her parents are supportive of her handgun ownership. :mrgreen:
When in doubt
Vote them out!

Rifleman55

Post by Rifleman55 »

The only problem that she might have is in purchasing ammo. if she says that the ammo is for a pistol then she cannot buy it. Since 38 can be use in a rifle they may not even ask.

The Mad Moderate

Post by The Mad Moderate »

Rifleman55 wrote:The only problem that she might have is in purchasing ammo. if she says that the ammo is for a pistol then she cannot buy it. Since 38 can be use in a rifle they may not even ask.
So if you tell the person selling ammo it's for a Rifle someone 18 could but 9mm ammo.
American by birth Texan by the grace of God

Not to be a republican at twenty is proof of want of heart; to be one at thirty is proof of want of head.
-Francois Guisot

Rifleman55

Post by Rifleman55 »

The only ammo that I could think of that would be a problem for an 18 year old could be .25 acp, 32 acp and .380 acp, and something like 9mm makerov. As long as there is a rifle chambered in the particular cartridge a person 18 or older should be able to buy it. That person may have trouble with clerks in places like wal-mart not wanting to sell to them.

speedsix
Posts in topic: 10

Post by speedsix »

...MPA doesn't have a word about age...my son finally turned 18, but has carried his .38 in the car since the bill took effect...as soon as he got his regular DL...

JJVP
Posts in topic: 3

Post by JJVP »

AustinPC wrote:Another consideration may be that the only time she'd be allowed to practice with or purchase ammunition for it would be with you, or someone else who's 21 or older.
Only the purchase of ammo is an issue and that only if it is handgun only ammo. No problem with practice.
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

JJVP

Post by JJVP »

speedsix wrote:...MPA doesn't have a word about age...my son finally turned 18, but has carried his .38 in the car since the bill took effect...as soon as he got his regular DL...
You realized that he broke federal law if he was carrying under MPA before he became 18. Federal law prohibits anyone younger that 18 to possess a handgun. He was lucky he was not caught.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/blnoguns.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tacticool

Post by tacticool »

Rifleman55 wrote:The only ammo that I could think of that would be a problem for an 18 year old could be .25 acp, 32 acp and .380 acp, and something like 9mm makerov. As long as there is a rifle chambered in the particular cartridge a person 18 or older should be able to buy it. That person may have trouble with clerks in places like wal-mart not wanting to sell to them.
I hope you're not encouraging someone to lie to trick a FFL into violating federal law.
When in doubt
Vote them out!

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

JJVP wrote:
speedsix wrote:...MPA doesn't have a word about age...my son finally turned 18, but has carried his .38 in the car since the bill took effect...as soon as he got his regular DL...
You realized that he broke federal law if he was carrying under MPA before he became 18. Federal law prohibits anyone younger that 18 to possess a handgun. He was lucky he was not caught.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/blnoguns.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...your statement is in error, as your link will tell you if you see the fine print at the bottom of the linked page...he broke no Federal law at all, because I made sure he fell within those exemptions...research the actual printed Federal law that pertains, not some Public Information catchall page, and you'll have the law...that's what I realized...

JJVP

Post by JJVP »

speedsix wrote:
JJVP wrote:

...your statement is in error, as your link will tell you if you see the fine print at the bottom of the linked page...he broke no Federal law at all, because I made sure he fell within those exemptions...research the actual printed Federal law that pertains, not some Public Information catchall page, and you'll have the law...that's what I realized...
Title 18 Part 1 Chapter 44 Section 922 (x) (3)

(iii) the juvenile has the prior written consent in the juvenile’s possession at all times when a handgun is in the possession of the juvenile; and
(iv) in accordance with State and local law;

I believe that this is what applies in your case. So you are correct, as long as he did not drive within 1000' of a school GFSZ). The only exemption there is a CHL from the state where the school is located. :tiphat:

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...they killed that one here in my neighborhood...I know, the sign was in my yard...gone three years now...

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”