Gun: A Weapon or a Tool? (POLL)

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Is your gun a weapon or a tool? (Please Read Reasoning First)

You never really gave it much thought, but you now consider it a weapon.
3%
You never really gave it much thought, but you now consider it a tool.
7%
You previously considered it a weapon, and you still consider it a weapon.
37%
You previously considered it a weapon, but you now consider it a tool.
6%
You previously considered it a tool, but you now consider it a weapon.
1%
You previously considered it a tool, and you still consider it a tool.
45%

Total votes: 86

Topic author
Thomas

Gun: A Weapon or a Tool? (POLL)

Post by Thomas »

POLL EXPLANATION:
There are three entering arguments, you either:
- never really gave it much thought
- previously considered it a weapon
- previously considered it a tool
There are two exiting arguments AFTER YOU READ THE REASONING BELOW
- you now (or still) consider it a weapon
- you now (or still) consider it a tool

EDIT 3: YOU ARE ABLE TO CHANGE YOUR VOTE NOW

REASONING:

I hate calling guns weapons. In my opinion, a weapon is just a tool that is used for malicious purposes. I like to consider that I am not carrying around a weapon, but rather a tool for self-defense.

The Texas Penal Code does not define a weapon. However in PC §46.02 UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS, a handgun is considered a weapon if it meets certain requirements.

PC §46.02 UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS:
(a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or
(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control.
(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:
(1) the handgun is in plain view; or
(2) the person is:
(A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic;
(B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or
(C) a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01.
EDIT: Even though I consider it a tool, it is still easier when talking to others to call it a weapon (though now I try to use the word firearm or handgun instead).

EDIT 2: I as the person asking, will not answer this poll (which would throw off the results IMO)
Last edited by Thomas on Wed May 11, 2011 6:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

sookandy
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Gun: A Weapon or a Tool? (POLL)

Post by sookandy »

I have always compared it to the internet. Both can be used as a weapon or a tool. It depends on the person behind the trigger or the keyboard.

Topic author
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

sookandy wrote:I have always compared it to the internet. Both can be used as a weapon or a tool. It depends on the person behind the trigger or the keyboard.
and I agree. A tool is a machine. A car is a machine. A car is a tool that we use to drive to work. A gun is a tool that we use for self-defense. A bad guy can use a car as a weapon. A bad guy can use a gun as a weapon. Just because the latter happens more, than makes it a weapon instead of a tool? I'll tell you what though, Texans use handguns as tools for self-defense a lot more than bad guys will ever use handguns for malicious purposes, even if we don't have to pull out our handguns.

terryg
Posts in topic: 1

Post by terryg »

I can't help but think that it is equal parts of both ...
... this space intentionally left blank ...

RottenApple
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RottenApple »

A gun is a tool. It's the mind controlling it that is the weapon. :tiphat:

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Thomas wrote:In my opinion, a weapon is just a tool that is used for malicious purposes.
I could not answer because I disagree with this part of your logic. The word malicious implies a certain morality to actions that is not necessarily connected to the tool.

A weapon (which may be a firearm or may not be) is a tool that is used for specific purposes. The purposes involve generally combat but may be used for either aggressive or defensive combat. Aggressive combat may or may not be malicious or may or may not be justified. The same is also true for defensive combat (you might be surprised at how many criminals think they shot in self defense while they were committing their crime).

So, I consider my pistol a weapon, and I consider all weapons to be tools.
Steve Rothstein

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Thomas wrote:I hate calling guns weapons. In my opinion, a weapon is just a tool that is used for malicious purposes.
Frankly, that's just irrelevant semantics, and "malicious" is a value judgement that you are placing on the word. TheFreeDictionary.com describes the word as meaning:
1. An instrument of attack or defense in combat, as a gun, missile, or sword.
2. Zoology A part or organ, such as a claw or stinger, used by an animal in attack or defense.
3. A means used to defend against or defeat another: Logic was her weapon.
In other words, "weapon" is a neutral term, and it is only the intent of its bearer that is either malicious or noble. Attaching emotional content to its use is the domain of fuzzy-minded granola eaters like the Brady Bunch. Asking people to take a stand on the use of one word over the other because of that emotional content is to ask them to endorse a sort of verbal political correctness. I use the terms interchangeably, and I don't particularly care if anybody is put off by that. But you didn't allow "I don't care and I use the terms interchangeably" as an option, so I couldn't answer your poll.

A more accurate way of looking at it is that weapons are category of tools, just as as other types of tools could be categorized as edged tools, or striking tools, or fastening tools. And within the category of "weapons," there exist subcategories like "knives," "guns," and "clubs," just as within the category of "fastening" tools might be found "wrenches," "screwdrivers," and "pliers." Etc., etc., etc. In other words, "weapon" is merely a hierarchical term in the categorizing of tools, and it is devoid of value judgement.
Last edited by The Annoyed Man on Tue May 10, 2011 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

sookandy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by sookandy »

No matter what the terminology my be, any device may be used for good or bad. Wether it's a car, firearm, computer or a butter knife. What it comes down to is the user and their intentions. It's simply good vs. evil. I prefer my butter knife be used to put a big old slab of butter on my bread. Followed by enormous amounts of bacon. :lol:

mgood

Post by mgood »

I think it's both. I think a weapon is one type of tool.
You seem to have attached a negative connotation to the word weapon. I don't see weapon as a negative word. A weapon can work for good or for evil.
RottenApple wrote:A gun is a tool. It's the mind controlling it that is the weapon. :tiphat:
Ooh, good answer!

texaspilgrim

Post by texaspilgrim »

When I hunt its a tool. When I carry its a weapon.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

It is always a tool, but can be a weapon depending on the intended use. If the use is plinking, recreation, or competition then no its not a weapon. If the purpose is self defense or committing a crime then yes it is a weapon. Purpose defines function, nothing more and nothing less.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

mgood

Post by mgood »

Thomas wrote:A tool is a machine. A car is a machine. A car is a tool that we use to drive to work. A gun is a tool that we use for self-defense. A bad guy can use a car as a weapon. A bad guy can use a gun as a weapon. Just because the latter happens more, than makes it a weapon instead of a tool? I'll tell you what though, Texans use handguns as tools for self-defense a lot more than bad guys will ever use handguns for malicious purposes, even if we don't have to pull out our handguns.
Why do good guys use tools and bad guys use weapons? Again, I don't see why the word weapon must necessarily be negative.
Is a weapon in the hands of a U.S. serviceman a bad thing? No.
Is a weapon in the hands of an Al Qaeda terrorist a bad thing? Yes.
Actually, right after I typed that I decided it was wrong. The weapon is neither good nor bad in either case, it's the person wielding it that matters.
In fact, I was not able to vote in your poll before because it did not make sense to me. This line of thought has convinced me it is a tool. Regardless of whether it's held by a "good guy" or a "bad guy." A weapon is just a tool.

Fire can cook your food.
Fire can keep you warm when it's cold.
Fire can burn your house down.
Fire is neither good nor bad.

Weapon is not a bad word.
Anything can be used as a weapon; a stick, a bottle, a handful of dirt.

mgood

Post by mgood »

A firearm is a tool which can be used as a weapon.
A screwdriver is a tool which can be used as a weapon.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

All weapons are tools, but not all tools are weapons.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...true, gigag04...I know tools who are only harmful to themselves...

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”