Leaving your firearm in the car?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
jmoney
Posts in topic: 2

Leaving your firearm in the car?

Post by jmoney »

Had a few questions about leaving your firearm in the car. I realized today that when I am out taking care of all my errands and stuff, I eventually will have to go into at least one place where a handgun is not allowed, and I am not going to be one of those people that has their firearm stolen from their car. Two questions follow from this.

1. Does anyone have any experience with the drop in vaults, that are bolted from the inside to your center console?

2. Is it actually safe to leave your firearm in a vehicle, that will have temperatures reaching 200 degrees plus on the inside during the summer? It seems contra - logic to me leaving a firearm with explosive materials (gunpowder) in that hot of an environment, but if it isn't a concern let me know.

Teamless
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Leaving your firearm in the car?

Post by Teamless »

Leaving it in your car is NOT a concern, unless your car starts on fire.

As far as vaults, I have 1 of these in both of my vehicles and they work nicely and hide under your seat.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Keyless-Biometric-F ... 1c12ed3348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Heat is the least concern when leaving a gun in your vehicle. Theft is #1 both of the gun and the automobile. In the coastal regions of Texas high humidity coupled with heat can accelerate rust that's #2 in my mind. The chance of ammunition cooking off in a closed car or truck is so remote as to be impossible. I think it was "Myth Busters" that debunked many of the ammo in high heat myths. To get a round to cook off it took a long time at 450 degrees before it went poof, A loaded gun in the oven was the only scenario that caused a life threatening situation. Loose ammo in a fire was only slightly more dangerous than firecrackers. Oddly, the brass case is more dangerous than the bullet in a high heat situation.

Your concerns about ammo stored in high heat, although valid, are the least of your worries. :thumbs2:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

A-R

Post by A-R »

I use my Console Vault in my truck every day. I highly recommend this bolt-in product. http://www.consolevault.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Other than being a happy customer, I have no affiliation with the company whatsoever.

As for the heat concerns, I agree with previous comments - rust is a bigger concern. If I'm going to keep a gun in the car vault for an extended period of time, I make sure it's something nearly rust proof (like a Glock) or something with a quality gun sealant (like Duracoat) applied to the metal.

Topic author
jmoney
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmoney »

It's a glock :)

Thanks for the prompt replies, the console vault you mentioned is the exact one I am looking at.

My worries are alleviated

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Pawpaw »

:iagree: +1 on the Console Vault. I use mine all the time.

It's built like a brick library. No one is getting in it without a large pry bar or a cutting torch. Of course if they steal the whole truck, they can take their time and use whatever tools they wish. At that point, it's out of my hands.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

doc540

Post by doc540 »

heat, humidity, theft

Those three are far behind my #1 concern: personal safety.

Just because one "keeps" a gun in the car doesn't mean that one can't bring it in the house and clean it sometimes.

I hide a $200 Tokarev and a spare mag in my car.

If it's stolen I'm out $200 which, to me, is no significant loss.

It already looks kind of funky, so car duty will have no affect on either its value or its appearance.

If I need a handgun to protect myself it'll probably suffice.
http://www.train2shoot.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Lifetime Member
NRA Instructor
"Shooting more, typing less"

Derf

Post by Derf »

austinrealtor wrote:I use my Console Vault in my truck every day. I highly recommend this bolt-in product. http://www.consolevault.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Other than being a happy customer, I have no affiliation with the company whatsoever.

As for the heat concerns, I agree with previous comments - rust is a bigger concern. If I'm going to keep a gun in the car vault for an extended period of time, I make sure it's something nearly rust proof (like a Glock) or something with a quality gun sealant (like Duracoat) applied to the metal.
Was looking at one of these myself, but they don't make any model that will fit a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee according to their support folks.

Teamless, does that vault that you linked to have holes for mounting it?
"Victory goes to the one who has no thought of himself."- Shinkage School of Swordsmanship

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

I am a big proponent of locking it when leaving it. My brother had a .380 stolen out of his truck in VA, and years later the he got a visited from some LEO because the gun was used in a murder in DC. While we can all sit her and say we are not connected to the crime, etc. I really feel like part of responsible gun ownership is control of your weapon...in all respects. Returrning to your car and finding your $200 gun stolen would be a bad day; returning to your car while your unsecured gun was being stolen could be your last day.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...agreed...even an eyebolt/cable arrangement, under $10, would be better than not locking it to the vehicle at all...

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Derf wrote:
austinrealtor wrote:I use my Console Vault in my truck every day. I highly recommend this bolt-in product. http://www.consolevault.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Other than being a happy customer, I have no affiliation with the company whatsoever.

Was looking at one of these myself, but they don't make any model that will fit a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee according to their support folks.

Teamless, does that vault that you linked to have holes for mounting it?
If you have a place to mount it, you can use their universal vault and cover it with their cloak.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

bigred90gt

Post by bigred90gt »

jmoney wrote:Had a few questions about leaving your firearm in the car. I realized today that when I am out taking care of all my errands and stuff, I eventually will have to go into at least one place where a handgun is not allowed, and I am not going to be one of those people that has their firearm stolen from their car. Two questions follow from this.

1. Does anyone have any experience with the drop in vaults, that are bolted from the inside to your center console?

2. Is it actually safe to leave your firearm in a vehicle, that will have temperatures reaching 200 degrees plus on the inside during the summer? It seems contra - logic to me leaving a firearm with explosive materials (gunpowder) in that hot of an environment, but if it isn't a concern let me know.
Your will never see temperatures near 200° inside a car, unless it is intentional. The temperature reached inside a car on a hot summer day should be the least of your concerns.

koolaid

Post by koolaid »

The biggest hassle with any of the in-car safes is trying to get the gun in and out of it in the middle of a parking lot without anyone noticing.
01/02/2010 - Plastic

Barbi Q

Post by Barbi Q »

steveincowtown wrote:I am a big proponent of locking it when leaving it. My brother had a .380 stolen out of his truck in VA, and years later the he got a visited from some LEO because the gun was used in a murder in DC. While we can all sit her and say we are not connected to the crime, etc. I really feel like part of responsible gun ownership is control of your weapon...in all respects. Returrning to your car and finding your $200 gun stolen would be a bad day; returning to your car while your unsecured gun was being stolen could be your last day.
Businesses (and legislators) who don't allow CHL to carry everywhere bear some responsibility when a gun is stolen because a CHL followed their rules.
If anyone is raped, beaten or murdered on a college campus from this day forward
The senators who blocked SB 354 from being considered on 4/7/11 and
The members of the house calendar committee who haven't scheduled HB 750
Have the victims' blood on their hands.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

koolaid wrote:The biggest hassle with any of the in-car safes is trying to get the gun in and out of it in the middle of a parking lot without anyone noticing.
Tinted windows. :coolgleamA:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”