My Taurus PT 140 died

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
gtrman66
Posts in topic: 10

My Taurus PT 140 died

Post by gtrman66 »

Last Friday at Bass Pro in Grapevine, the trigger would catch sporadically. Opening it up I found the trigger support cracked. I bought it used 1-1/2 years ago and I have fired about 1000 rounds through it. No telling how many went through before I got it, but it looked "new".

I checked Taurus's website and the lifetime waranty applies to the gun not the owner, so that is good news. I figured I would have to drop it off and pay fees to ship it back to Taurus, but the guys at Great Southwest told me that wasn't the case, but it would need to go by air.

I checked here on the forum and found a couple posts about a broken Glock (and I thought that was a myth) and the shipping there.

I have it boxed up and ready with the address written in bold letters. Looks like I can use FedEx or UPS, but I have to go to the counter and tell them it is a firearm. I read both policies:
http://www.fedex.com/us/service-guide/t ... ss-ground/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Firearms must be shipped via FedEx Priority Overnight service. FedEx Express cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D. Firearms shipments cannot be placed in a FedEx Express Drop Box.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resour ... r=firearms" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921,will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air Services, specifically, UPS Next Day Air® Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, and UPS Next Day Air Saver®. (Note: UPS Express CriticalSM Service is not available for firearms).

It looks like UPS Air Saver is the cheapest route. I plan to go by there after work tomorrow. It looks like they do a comprehensive check before it is returned, so I feel pretty good that this will get taken care of. I sure hope it doesn't take too long. :cryin
1/9/10 CHL Class
2/2/10 Packet Sent
2/4/10 Delivery Confirmation
2/18/10 Pin Received "Processing Application"
3/4/10 Application Completed - license issued or certificate active
3/13/10 Plastic in Hand!!!

WildBill
Posts in topic: 1

Re: My Taurus PT 140 died

Post by WildBill »

gtrman66 wrote:Last Friday at Bass Pro in Grapevine, the trigger would catch sporadically. Opening it up I found the trigger support cracked. I bought it used 1-1/2 years ago and I have fired about 1000 rounds through it. No telling how many went through before I got it, but it looked "new".
Can you tell what material this part is made of?
NRA Endowment Member

BrianSW99
Posts in topic: 2

Post by BrianSW99 »

It might be cheaper to ship it through an FFL since they are able to ship handguns through the postal service. The FFL I use for transfers charges $10 plus the cost of postage to ship a firearm. Usually comes out to less than $20 total.

You might also see if you can convince Taurus to send you a prepaid shipping label. Not sure about Taurus, but I know some of the other manufacturers will sometimes do that when it's clearly a warranty issue.

Brian

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

BrianSW99 wrote:It might be cheaper to ship it through an FFL since they are able to ship handguns through the postal service. The FFL I use for transfers charges $10 plus the cost of postage to ship a firearm. Usually comes out to less than $20 total.

You might also see if you can convince Taurus to send you a prepaid shipping label. Not sure about Taurus, but I know some of the other manufacturers will sometimes do that when it's clearly a warranty issue.

Brian
Taurus has always been great about sending Fed Ex to my DOOR with a box and label. While he is there, I just drop it in and hand it right back to them. I know people knock Tauri's all the time, but when you churn out as many as they do, there are going to be lemons... and I have had problems with every other manufacturer as well.
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jmra

Post by jmra »

Not a myth on the glock. Cost me $63 to ship. But I shipped it with a 12 year old receiver that had some wear and got it back with a brand new receiver. Not to mention I didn't have much into it to begin with. I was very happy with the end result.
Last edited by jmra on Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Katygunnut

Post by Katygunnut »

wgoforth wrote:
BrianSW99 wrote:It might be cheaper to ship it through an FFL since they are able to ship handguns through the postal service. The FFL I use for transfers charges $10 plus the cost of postage to ship a firearm. Usually comes out to less than $20 total.

Brian
Taurus has always been great about sending Fed Ex to my DOOR with a box and label. While he is there, I just drop it in and hand it right back to them. I know people knock Tauri's all the time, but when you churn out as many as they do, there are going to be lemons... and I have had problems with every other manufacturer as well.
You must be more persuasive than I am. I have a PT 24/7 .45 cal that has a consistent FTF problem. It only partially chambers the round and hitting the slide release will get it into full battery. Happens 3-4 times per magazine.

Taurus said to ship it to them, but they would not cover the cost of shipping. I'm dreading the $40 or so to ship it by air, especially since I don't really have a need for the gun anyway.

When I had an issue with a Kel-Tec on the other hand, they immediately sent me a prepaid shipping label.

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

Katygunnut wrote:
wgoforth wrote:

Brian
You must be more persuasive than I am. I have a PT 24/7 .45 cal that has a consistent FTF problem. It only partially chambers the round and hitting the slide release will get it into full battery. Happens 3-4 times per magazine.

Taurus said to ship it to them, but they would not cover the cost of shipping. I'm dreading the $40 or so to ship it by air, especially since I don't really have a need for the gun anyway.

When I had an issue with a Kel-Tec on the other hand, they immediately sent me a prepaid shipping label.
Never had any probs with my 24/7's in 9mm. My OSS had to send back for Extractor adjustment and same with 709. Both times, Fed Ex to my door. once they offered without my asking, once with. Be sure to press them on it if they don't.
NRA Life Member
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
gtrman66

Post by gtrman66 »

The Taurus website said they would not pay the shipping to Taurus. I will give them a call tomorrow and check, you never know.

The piece that broke looks to be plastic. It's the upper part of the trigger that pivots on a steel pin.

I have it all boxed up in the trunk of the car. I need to put it in the bike, because it looks like good weather tomorrow.
1/9/10 CHL Class
2/2/10 Packet Sent

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

gtrman66 wrote:The Taurus website said they would not pay the shipping to Taurus. I will give them a call tomorrow and check, you never know.

The piece that broke looks to be plastic. It's the upper part of the trigger that pivots on a steel pin.

I have it all boxed up in the trunk of the car. I need to put it in the bike, because it looks like good weather tomorrow.
I am on the Taurusarmed forum, and they pay shipping all the time. They send Fedex to your door with a box. I am looking on the Taurus website, and can't find anything that says they do or do not pay. Keltec is the only manufacturer I have dealt with that would not. Taurus, Ruger, Para all paid postage labels. What Taurs website says is that it must be shipped prepaid and not collect, but doesn't say they don't pay for the shipping. http://www.taurususa.com/repair-policy-shipping.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Now some manufacturers refuse to reimburse postage, as they can send you a prepaid label a lot cheaper than you can ship.
NRA Life Member

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

wgoforth wrote:
gtrman66 wrote:The Taurus website said they would not pay the shipping to Taurus. I will give them a call tomorrow and check, you never know.

I am on the Taurusarmed forum, and they pay shipping all the time. They send Fedex to your door with a box. I am looking on the Taurus website, and can't find anything that says they do or do not pay. Keltec is the only manufacturer I have dealt with that would not. Taurus, Ruger, Para all paid postage labels. What Taurs website says is that it must be shipped prepaid and not collect, but doesn't say they don't pay for the shipping. http://www.taurususa.com/repair-policy-shipping.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Now some manufacturers refuse to reimburse postage, as they can send you a prepaid label a lot cheaper than you can ship.

That was what I was going to say. Some manufacturers (Kahr) have an account number they give you to go to FEDX with. You typically have to ask, but most folks I know have had good luck with this.

Topic author
gtrman66

Post by gtrman66 »

According to Taurus, only new handguns get the free shipping. I'm on my own with UPS today. My local shop charges $25 FFL for CHL, so it's not going to be cheaper with them.
1/9/10 CHL Class
2/2/10 Packet Sent

RECIT

Post by RECIT »

That is a shame you could not get them to cover it both ways. I'm sure they will make the repair right anyway, maybe ask them to throw in an extra mag or something like that. The worst they could say is no...
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

gtrman66 wrote:According to Taurus, only new handguns get the free shipping. I'm on my own with UPS today. My local shop charges $25 FFL for CHL, so it's not going to be cheaper with them.
Ok, guess it is what it is...but $25 is a bargain. You have to ship overnight and inform them it is a firearm... around $65.
NRA Life Member

Topic author
gtrman66

Post by gtrman66 »

$65.80... ouch. I though Overnight "Saver" would be A LOT less than that. Lesson learned, take it to the shop next time. Oh well, hopefully they get it turned around quick.
1/9/10 CHL Class
2/2/10 Packet Sent

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

gtrman66 wrote:$65.80... ouch. I though Overnight "Saver" would be A LOT less than that. Lesson learned, take it to the shop next time. Oh well, hopefully they get it turned around quick.

Next time you might check out some of the FFL's in this forum viewforum.php?f=22" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; they aren't charging $25 and shipping by the USPS would have cost a whole lot less than 60 dollars. The last time I shipped a handgun through a FFL, I think the postage part was about 10 bucks or so.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”