Dedicated vehicle gun?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
slinco
Posts in topic: 2

Dedicated vehicle gun?

Post by slinco »

Does anyone have a dedicated car/truck gun. Something you leave in the vehicle all the time?
I have been considering mounting my extra Glock holster in my covered console and just leaving my 27 in it. Any thoughts?
PETULANT MISANTHROPE
Why do they call it Tourist Season if ya can't shoot 'em?

Big Ben
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Dedicated vehicle gun?

Post by Big Ben »

I do not leave any firearms in my vehicle unless I need to disarm due to not being able to carry in a certain place I am going. I always re-arm upon re-entry of my vehicle. I do have a LEO friend that has a Glock he calls his truck gun and just leaves it in there 24/7. I guess it depends on where you live. I live in the Houston area in an apartment so I don't take the chance.
CHL since 4/2010
NRA Member
IDPA Member
"The tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of patriots and tyrants" - Thomas Jefferson

rbftfire

Post by rbftfire »

I've been hesitant on having a dedicated vehicle gun just because I've had my cars and trucks burglarized several times. I would hate to give up a gun to a thief, I really don't want to give them a weapon to do what a criminal will usually do with a weapon, but also if I were to catch them in the act, I would rather that they not be possibly armed with my gun. Of course, I realize that they could be armed anyway but these are just the reasons I have been hesitant.

USA1

Post by USA1 »

I agree with not leaving a gun in a vehicle 24/7.

However, I do keep a secondary gun tucked between the seat and covered while I'm out and about during the day.
It's much easier and quicker (for me) to access it while in the vehicle than to try to draw my primary firearm.

At the end of the day it comes back in the house.
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

cougartex

Post by cougartex »

:iagree: :txflag:
Cougars are shy, reclusive, and downright mysterious... :txflag:

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

If I am driving my suburban I have my "Fay K-47" but if I am not using that vehicle then there is no firearm in it. Now for the record the Suburban is used when my pickup is not available, weekend driving, or hunting.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

A-R

Post by A-R »

I usually keep a handgun in my truck (2005 Toyota Tacoma) secured in a Console Vault http://www.consolevault.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

G27 is a good choice for vehicle gun, IMHO, for same reasons it's a good gun for concealed carry. Small enough to stash out of sight, powerful enough to get the job done, reliable, and able to withstand some adverse climate conditions.

I also like snub-nose revolvers for vehicle guns for same reasons. If you need to carry a vehicle gun on your person for some reason, just slip it in your pocket. Of course you SHOULD already have another gun on your person. But sometimes if just making a quick run to the store, knowing I have the truck gun that I can just lip in my pocket means I don't have to bother "suiting up" at the house. This is why I use a smaller truck gun than others - who will use a full-size pistol or even a shotgun or rifle.

If you prefer using a full-size handgun as a vehicle gun, I've read a lot of posts on this forum of people using the relatively inexpensive and durable S&W Sigma guns (about $300 new at Academy) - or just about any medium- or large-frame 4-inch barrel revolver would work well too.

Have contemplated keeping a rifle or shotgun in bed of truck (under lockable hard bed cover), but haven't done so yet. Seems this would be more important if you find yourself in fairly remote areas and might need to engage a wild animal of some kind, for example a rancher needing to scare off a coyote.

texjames

Post by texjames »

I usually conceal carry and would only leave my gun in the truck if going into someplace where ya can't carry.
I would never leave a gun in my truck 24/7 . I have to go out to the AFB sometimes and have to leave my gun at home.
I forgot once but remembered as i showed my ID at the gate and just told the SP i have to turn around.... :shock:
USAF 71-91 retired
CHL #3 04/10

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

I keep a pistol in each of my 3 vehicles, secured in a steel lockbox, cabled to the car. these are in the trunk, under carpet, except in the pickup where it's under the front bench seat. The key to the box is on the keyring for that vehicle.
In them I keep a Kel-Tec P11, a Star B (9mm 1911), and a S&W .38 spl. For each there are at least 2 reload magazines. All inexpensive guns, but reliable, and of a bigger caliber than my carry weapon.
The boxes are big enough to also enclose my pocket pistol when I need to disarm.
If I find myself driving in an area or a situation where I'm a bit uneasy, the box moves to the passenger compartment, unlocked.

I think the ideal solution might be the quick-open console safe, but none of my vehicles will accommodate one.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

glbedd53
Posts in topic: 3

Post by glbedd53 »

I leave a Glock 21 in the console of my truck in the factory plastic box that it came in with an extra loaded mag. Everything fits secure in the box and the box doesn't slide around or anything. Also I've learned that I can pull the top off the box and have the gun out with one hand, can't do that with a zipper case. I go places that I can't carry so it's been the best way to always at least have one in my truck. The next best thing. My truck stays locked in the garage at night. If not I probably wouldn't leave it in there.

Sidro

Post by Sidro »

Ruger .454 Casull in console of truck for quick access on shots at coyotes or feral hogs.

glbedd53
Posts in topic: 3

Post by glbedd53 »

Yeah, I forgot to say that. The Glock is only for use on coyotes. Well maybe an occasional pit bull.

fickman

Post by fickman »

I guess I can tell you "yes" as long as I don't say what color my truck is. . .

:coolgleamA:
Native Texian

seniorshooteress

Post by seniorshooteress »

Nope, no guns left in vehicle, unless I have just come from gun range and stopping at Ts for more ammo or to check out anything new he has gotten in.
CHL Rec: 2/5/10
Member: TSRA/NRA
Project One Million: Texas-Click here and Join NRA Today!

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it." - Clint Eastwood
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive!

PJK

Post by PJK »

My wife, she has her CHL, keeps a Colt revolver in .357 in her truck at all times. She keeps it in the center console in one of these safes: http://www.center-of-mass.com/Store_InCarGunSafe.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . She uses the combo version that is cabled to the frame. Her routine is to get in the truck, lock the doors, unlocks the safe and then flips the lid open for easy access in the center console. When she is ready to get out she closes and locks the safe, turns truck off and then gets out. She always has her carry gun, but it is a Beretta Tomcat in .32. The .357 is a bit bigger so she feels a bit safer in the truck with it. Plus, if push comes to shove she will always choose her Colt, but it is a bit big to put in her purse.

I personally do not leave a gun in my car all the time, but I always have an LCP and a Glock on me.

"Why are there mass shootings in gun free zones? The same reason there are non at gun ranges"

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”