Drawing from holster disengages safety (??)

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
LarryH
Posts in topic: 6

Drawing from holster disengages safety (??)

Post by LarryH »

Several times over the last week, when I remove my Kimber Pro Carry from its MTAC holster, the safety is disengaged.

I know that the safety was engaged when I holstered it.

Could the gun be too tight against the leather?

For what it's worth, I did adjust the cant a week or so ago. Perhaps I should set it back where it was?

What do the experts think? (Non-experts' ideas are welcome, too.)

RiverRat
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Drawing from holster disengages safety (??)

Post by RiverRat »

I've been carrying 1911's in Mtac every day for a couple of years, varying 3", 3.5", 4", 4.25" ones and haven't had that happen, yet. I have carried some 5", but not with regularity. Keep us posted if you find out what is causing it to disengage.
Life member NRA and TSRA

Sidro
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Sidro »

Have the same problem with new Kimber and Supertuck. Think I am starting the bbl into the holster but am dropping the butt of the pistol back as I holster. Then as the gun goes into the holster it has to be canted forward to fully holster. At this point I believe the safety is being pushed down and off. As long as I pay attention to what is going on I don't rub the safety off. May not be your case but could be. The safety is longer and has more area to grab than my Colt which I don't have this problem with.

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Skiprr »

LarryH wrote:Several times over the last week, when I remove my Kimber Pro Carry from its MTAC holster, the safety is disengaged.
A Kimber in an MTAC has been my primary carry for a couple of years, and I've not had that happen, either.
LarryH wrote:Could the gun be too tight against the leather?
I'd think the opposite. Load a snap-cap in the chamber, flag the safety, and holster the pistol. Press the grip firmly into your body, and then try to flip the safety off. Odds are, it takes a lot of pressure to move it. Now hook your thumb on the inside of the grip to relieve pressure against your body, and try again. I'll bet the safety moves much more freely.

I'll not hazard a guess at what might be causing the safety to disengage, but if the pistol (and holster) is belted tight against your body, my bet is that--whatever it is--it's moving the ambi-safety from the outside (like maybe a seatbelt), not the leather shifting it from the inside. Just a guess.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Some of the "competition" safeties have a rather pronounced thumb ledge that may be causing the problem. I really prefer the GI style safety that comes on most Colts and "Mil Spec" 1911s. Replacing the competition safety with a mil spec one might fix the problem.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Mike1951 »

I've had thumb breaks disengage the safety. But if the flesh guard is too narrow, the edge can hook the safety and partially or completely disengage the safety.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

It has happened to me with my Kimber Ultra a few times, in different holsters, both IWB and OWB, and I've only discovered it when unholstering for the day.

There's still a couple of other safeties in play, not counting the one between my ears, so I don't worry too much about it. But if I'm carrying on my hip, I will often reach down now and check that the thumb safety is engaged before opening my car door and getting out. I think that's where it is getting disengaged, because I can't figure out how else it could happen except for when I'm getting in or out of a car. I'm left handed, and I think that as I swing my legs out of the driver's seat to exit, I must be getting the thumb safety snapped off as it catches briefly on the side of my seat.

Again, I don't worry to much about it when I see it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

SYMWAFA

Post by SYMWAFA »

Larry, does your Kimber have an Ambidextrous thumb safety? Seems like those are usually the culprits in these situations.

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Mike1951 »

SYMWAFA wrote:Larry, does your Kimber have an Ambidextrous thumb safety? Seems like those are usually the culprits in these situations.
I fail to see how. There is nothing on the outboard side to contact the safety lever.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

shootthesheet

Post by shootthesheet »

The thumb safety disengaging is one reason I don't carry a 1911. I had a Springfield Champion and when I carried it in different holsters would find the safety off half the time. Since the safety was somewhat stiff I couldn't find why it would disengage. Best I could tell was the holster would do it when I moved a certain way. I am sure I could have found a way to keep it from happening but I couldn't justify the weight of the gun for such a limited capacity anyway. You might try moving side to side and see if that is your problem too. Since I am in and out of a car a lot I gave up on trying.
http://gunrightsradio.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
LarryH

Post by LarryH »

Thanks for the comments.

Don't have an ambi-safety, so that's likely not it. Also no thumb break or competition safety.

I think Sidro's comment may be the key. When I get home tonight, I'll check my exact manipulations when holstering.

Since I didn't have the problem before adjusting the cant from moderate (two-hole difference) to extreme (four-hole difference), it may be that the change in angle has something to do with it. May also adjust to three-hole difference and see if that has any effect.

Thanks again; I'll report my findings.

SYMWAFA

Post by SYMWAFA »

Mike1951 wrote:
SYMWAFA wrote:Larry, does your Kimber have an Ambidextrous thumb safety? Seems like those are usually the culprits in these situations.
I fail to see how. There is nothing on the outboard side to contact the safety lever.
Brushing up against things- you can hit the right side paddle, thus disengaging it.

Mike from Texas

Post by Mike from Texas »

I carry my Kimber in an MTAC and have had the safety disengaged a few times. Comp-Tac and Minotaur has acknowledged there is a potential problem and actually has stopped production and is looking for a solution.

http://www.comp-tac.com/newsdesk_info.p ... 1rboo3uf00" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They don't actually come out and say that is why they are not producing them, but I have heard from several sources that that is the case.

It won't stop me from carrying with mine.
A few Glocks, a few Kahrs, Dan Wesson CBOB 10mm, Dan Wesson CBOB 45ACP, Springer Champion Operator

****************************************************************************************************

Topic author
LarryH

Post by LarryH »

I had noticed that Comp-Tac's web site said something about redesigning the MTAC for 1911's.

Last night, I paid special attention to how I was holstering the gun and had no problems at that time (only ran through a few cycles, though).

I used to have an Infidel for the 1911, and experienced no problems, but I gave it to my brother, along with a Colt Government Model, the last time we were in Minnesota. Maybe I should invest in another Infidel.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Personally, I've given my business to Comp-Tac for over six years. And that won't change.

I've carried a 1911 in an MTAC for over two years. That won't change, either.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”