.308 rifle guys....what ammo do you shoot?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cyphur
Posts in topic: 4

.308 rifle guys....what ammo do you shoot?

Post by cyphur »

I finally got out to the range with my Rem700 PSS the other day. Shot some pretty tight groups as long as I was sticking with the basics and shot steady. First time out with a .308 and I shot some sub 1" groups. I didn't think that was too bad. I was shooting Win .308 168gr Ballistic Silvertip. It looked like a pretty good round upon physical inspection. Question is, do I need the spend the money on that kind of round for target plinking?

Since I abide by the policy of junk in / junk out, I will only buy quality ammo for the PSS. What other ammunition is worth me taking a look at for target plinking? Currently I only shoot to 100yrd, but hope to extend it past 500yds eventually, long term I want to be shooting 1000yds. Please help me out here!!

Unfortunately at the current time loading my own rounds/reloading is not an option. I live in an apartment with my wife and twin 16 month old daughters and have no room for the equipment.

dws1117
Posts in topic: 1

Re: .308 rifle guys....what ammo do you shoot?

Post by dws1117 »

cyphur wrote: Unfortunately at the current time loading my own rounds/reloading is not an option. I live in an apartment with my wife and twin 16 month old daughters and have no room for the equipment.
Ahh but that is where you are wrong grasshopper.

I've several set up from several that live in an apartment with little to no room. A single stage press can be mounted to a 2x4 and the board c-clamped to one of those workmate type fold up work benches. When not in use the bench will fold up nearly flatand could easily store under the bed or in a closet. The press can be stored in say a large shoe box, again under a bed or closet. Since your doing rifle ammo for a bolt action you probably won't be loading in bulk and you'll be doing each step in the loading process seprately. A powder measure can be mounted to the same board that is used for the press.

Good single stage presses and some of the kits can be had fairly inexpensively. Kits are good beacause they come with most everything you need to get started.

Anyway, it's just a suggestion. I don't shoot .308 so I'm not familiar with the factory loads.

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

I've gotten excellent results with Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertips in a 7mm-08 (.308 necked down). For mass produced ammo, its pretty hard to beat.

Of course, as all riflemen know....each rifle will have a "pet" load or two, so you might want to experiment with different weights and loads. Any factory ammo that results in sub "minute of angle" groups in your rifle is worth staying with (if your prime concern is merely hunting accuracy).

A "good" rifle in .308 is probably capable of 100 yd. 5 shot groups of less than .500 center to center (and some much better).

My daughters 7mm-08 shoots better than I can hold it (I'm getting kinda old) :sad: . Of course, it is dual pillared, lug and action are glass bedded, barrel free floating, fire lapped, and a decent trigger job.

What other factory rounds have you guys had good success with (.308)?
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Chris

Post by Chris »

my favorite rifle ammo is black hills. it's quality stuff, and really consistent. black hills makes sniper ammo for the military. you can get what is essentially black hills reloads for half of what some of the other brands cost. the brass has only been used once, but it's all in good shape and shoots very well.

i've also had good results with the new wolf premium ammo stuff. i'm not a reloader, and probably won't ever be. i don't have the patience or the time. federal premium works good too.

in the end, your rifle will probably decide for you. i have an ar15 that loves the cheap wolf crap better than some of the premium stuff.

Topic author
cyphur

Post by cyphur »

I've got a box of Black Hills Gold 150gr Softtip that I am going to send down range next time I'm out. I'll probably shoot a box of each and see how the results vary.

I do appreciate the advice, keep it coming!

G.C.Montgomery

Post by G.C.Montgomery »

My .308's are all military-pattern, autoloaders so this may be of little or no use to you. M1A, FAL and an AR10. My "plinking" ammo is Lake City overruns or other surplus. I usually buy enough in bulk that I keep costs at about $0.25/round.

The problem however, is that most bolt guns like your Remington may not be safe to fire this sort of ammo. A friend tried some South African in his Reminton 700 Varminter but found he had a very hard time extracting fired cases. It also couldn't print anything better than about a 2-inch group in his rifle. That same rifle printed a .224-inch earlier in the day with 168-grain Federal Match ammo that functioned flawlessly.
When you take the time out of your day to beat someone, it has a much longer lasting effect on their demeanor than simply shooting or tazing them.

G. C. Montgomery, Jr.

one eyed fatman
Banned

Post by one eyed fatman »

I have a missile launcher coming in Monday in 308. 10X42 Super Sniper scope already here. I'll be reloading for it as well. Lots to learn yet.

Topic author
cyphur

Post by cyphur »

I'll eventually reload but thats not something I want to do in the same room that my girls play in constantly. And since its the only room available for it......

When I get a house I'll probably begin to reload.

Jeremae

Post by Jeremae »

My Rem 788 prefers the Fed Premium 165gr sierra boat tails.
Reasonable gun control is hitting your target with the first shot.

Topic author
cyphur

Post by cyphur »

Where do you guys purchase your amminition?

Scroggwe

Post by Scroggwe »

My National Match M1A loves South African 7.62mm NATO. I usually average 3" groups at 100 yards with open sights. It would probably shoot smaller groups with a scope mounted. I buy the South African 7.62 NATO at Military Gun Supply in Fort Worth for $32.00 a battle pack (140 rounds). As another poster stated, its probably not a good idea to shoot it in a bolt rifle though.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”