Protected by the Castle Law, Intruders Will Be Shot (sign)

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Would you post this sign in your yard, on your front door, fence, gate, window, etc?

YES I'd post the sign!!
11%
NO I'd never post the sign!!
74%
I dunno, not sure it's a good or bad idea...
15%

Total votes: 141

Topic author
PUCKER
Posts in topic: 3

Protected by the Castle Law, Intruders Will Be Shot (sign)

Post by PUCKER »

Would you or would you not post this sign in your yard, on your front door, fence, gate, window, etc?

What, if any, legal ramifications would there be if you did shoot someone that you were justified in shooting (to stop, of course)? The Castle Law took away any ramifications from what I understand, or am I grossly ignorant/misinformed?

I look at it this way - if you had the sign and had to shoot, the perp was warned of the repercussions of bad actions. I also remember hearing about folks who got in trouble for posting "Beware of Dog" signs when their dog bit someone (at the homeowner's property), it seemed the lawyers made a case out of it like this: "well, the homeowner knew the dog was vicious....and didn't do anything about it..." Don't have any case law/legal cites for it though. Regarding the below sign, I don't see it as best to advertise that you have firearms, but I think in Texas (especially) you pretty much have to assume that every home has at LEAST one firearm, although I do know some folks who DON'T have any. This should make for a good discussion/poll.

From: http://www.protectedbythecastlelaw.com/ ... ecals.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Protected by the Castle Law, Intruders Will Be Shot (sign)

Post by Keith B »

This sign photo has been posted before, and we discussed it, but can't find the thread now.

I for one would NOT post that because:

1. You advertise you have guns in the home
2. The first thing some defense attorney will bring up is you were just a trigger-happy homeowner looking to shoot the first person that looked cross-eyed at you on your property. All the guy wanted to do was ask directions; he wasn't really trying to break-in. :nono:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

garcia946

Post by garcia946 »

:iagree:
I would NOT post this at my home either same reasons
NRA Instructor/RSO
Glock 27 .40 , Sig P229 .40
Right To Carry CHL

chamberc
Posts in topic: 2

Post by chamberc »

I would not post this in my yard for the same reason I don't have NRA or TSRA decals on my truck.

There are too many people who hate freedom, and could say "the person there, in that truck/house" pointed a gun at me.

A complete fabrication, but if they pulled me over, I'd obviously be carrying and would have to go through that hassle. Without identifying myself in that way, they have no idea if I'm a gun lover or a Hussein moonbat.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

PappaGun

Post by PappaGun »

I would not post this sign.
Or a sign that says "This home (car, whatever) protected by Smith and Wesson" etc...
You are advertising for a challenge.
If someone does choose to come into my home and I have advertised such a challenge, he will likely get me before I get to my gun and get him.
"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe."
- Noah Webster

"All we ask for is registration, just like we do for cars."
- Charles Schumer

Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

I do have a NRA decal on my car. Also a life member VFW decal. The only reason I don’t have a TSRA decal is because I think they are ugly. I also have Purple Heart license plates. But NO WAY would I have that sign.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

RocTrac

Post by RocTrac »

I am not sure about this one, I like the sign and think that it is a deterent. BUT like stated above it will give the lawyers something to pick on. I have alway liked the "Trespassers will be shot, suvivors will be shot agian" but would not put it out cause of the lawyers. As far as it being a challenge, most criminals are cowards and the ones that are not will come in loaded for bear anyway. So 50/50/90 choose your poison.
Carl
03/Oct 09- Class taken
05/Oct 09- Packet Mailed
05 1/2 Oct- Tapping fingers on desk waiting
04/Dec. 09- Plastic came in the Mail.
Primary Dan Wesson Valor
Secondary Kimber Crimson Carry II
Third XDm 9

jsimmons
Banned

Post by jsimmons »

You also have to make a not-so-valid assumption that they can read (or read English).
Took class, paid fees, changed my mind. I want constitutional carry.

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

I'll agree with Keith, but not quite with Commander Cody - I don't have any decals on my vehicle, except for my Narrow Trail Cowboy Church on on the rear window, but I have TSRA license plates with my ham radio call letters - K5NRA - on them. And an NRA brake light on my hitch.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

timdsmith72

Post by timdsmith72 »

Weeeelll...I voted Yes, but after thinking about it, I wouldn't. Mostly because the lawyers would have a field day with it if something ever did happen. It is funny though so I might hang one inside to amuse friends. :biggrinjester:

cowboymd

Post by cowboymd »

While I like the sign, no way would I post it on my property. Too much unwanted attention in the many forms mentioned previously. :txflag:
TSRA Member
NRA Life Member

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

No. You would be demonstrating intent.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Pete92FS

Post by Pete92FS »

cowboymd wrote:While I like the sign, no way would I post it on my property. Too much unwanted attention in the many forms mentioned previously. :txflag:
Purplehood wrote:No. You would be demonstrating intent.
:iagree: I would rather surprise them. :fire I also do not have NRA stickers, or "Protected By S&W either.
CHL since 01/26/09

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

I would not post in my yard but maybe front entrance. The lawyers will find any thing they can even with out the sign, they can just say you were laying in wait or because you own a gun you wanted to shoot him. Cold hard fact you are protected by the castle law so even if you did post it and shoot the guy as long as you acted within the confines of the castle law you are protected.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

PappaGun

Post by PappaGun »

jsimmons wrote:You also have to make a not-so-valid assumption that they can read (or read English).
I disagree. I can not recall any life-on-the-line instance in which a perp could not speak English.

In my experience they can speak English, but choose not to.

:patriot:
"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe."
- Noah Webster

"All we ask for is registration, just like we do for cars."
- Charles Schumer

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”