problem with gun in the car while at work

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
mr.72
Posts in topic: 7

problem with gun in the car while at work

Post by mr.72 »

I am working at a company that does not allow me to carry while at work.

So, I leave the gun in the car. I disarm when I get here (parking next door), then re-arm when I get back in the car to go home.

Problem is that by the time I get ready to re-arm, the slide on my LCP is about 150 degrees or so it seems. It is pretty much too hot to carry without getting a burn. I am storing it in the trunk of my car during the day. It sits there for 9-10 hours getting hot.

Anyone else run into this problem? What's the solution? besides bringing the gun in and risking getting fired, that is.
non-conformist CHL holder

bayouhazard
Posts in topic: 2

Re: problem with gun in the car while at work

Post by bayouhazard »

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Don't laugh. Bayouh makes a good point. I was going to suggest a small cooler, the kind big enough for 2 6-packs of soda, and one of those "gel freeze" things. The self contained gel types you throw in the freezer and freeze it overnight. It may condensate, so wrap the gel freeze bag in a hand towel, THEN put it in a 1 gal. zip lock bag(room temp). But the cooler if it's of good quality might insulate the contents well enough to not need the gel freeze bag.

Just a thought.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

TDDude
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TDDude »

Get better at concealing and don't worry about it. Oops!! I'm not supposed to suggest that. :)
Ray F.
Luke 22:35-38 "Gear up boys, I gotta go and it's gonna get rough." JC
-- Darrell Royal, former UT football coach - "If worms carried pistols, birds wouldn't eat 'em."

HKUSP45C
Posts in topic: 5

Post by HKUSP45C »

I carry in one of these:

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and the slide doesn't contact my skin.

Maybe you should consider a different holster?

Also, depending on your carry method, on the body, at the waist line, in anything other than "appendix" position, canted just right, makes for a cumbersome, slow and difficult draw stroke while seated. A separate carry method for driving might be the ideal way to combat both problems.

http://www.rimindustries.com/DeSantis-K ... -p/n92.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hidden by your legs, or this:

http://www.andrewsleather.com/carjackerx_c.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With a towel over it.

This is also a fantastic choice fort the car since it's a shotty but also small enough to be useable in a seated position in the car:

http://www.serbu.com/top/superShorty.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Though you will have to pay the $5 AOW NFA tax and wait on the paperwork. It shouldn't take more than 6 weeks currently in Texas, from what I'm hearing from friends.

USA1
Posts in topic: 6

Post by USA1 »

is'nt that shotty just shy of being legal ? :confused5
but it sure looks mean :cool:
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

HKUSP45C

Post by HKUSP45C »

usa1 wrote:is'nt that shotty just shy of being legal ? :confused5
but it sure looks mean :cool:
In Texas you can own an AOW shotgun (under 18" barrel length or 26" overall) if it is registered pursuant to the NFA. Which is why I stated it was an AOW and would require the tax be paid.
Texas Penal Code Sec. 46.01. wrote:
(10) "Short-barrel firearm" means a rifle with a barrel length of less than 16 inches or a shotgun with a barrel length of less than 18 inches, or any weapon made from a shotgun or rifle if, as altered, it has an overall length of less than 26 inches.
Texas Penal Code Sec. 46.05. wrote: PROHIBITED WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs, or sells:

(1) an explosive weapon;

(2) a machine gun;

(3) a short-barrel firearm;

(4) a firearm silencer;

(5) a switchblade knife;

(6) knuckles;

(7) armor-piercing ammunition;

(8) a chemical dispensing device; or

(9) a zip gun.

(b) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the actor's conduct was incidental to the performance of official duty by the armed forces or national guard, a governmental law enforcement agency, or a correctional facility.

(c) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the actor's possession was pursuant to registration pursuant to the National Firearms Act, as amended.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Well, I just learned something. You all are correct! Here's a pretty good description of SHORT BARREL SHOTGUNS (SBS) and ANY OTHER WEAPON (AOW):

http://www.paladinarmory.com/SBSAOW.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nice curio, but I wouldn't want one.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

USA1
Posts in topic: 6

Post by USA1 »

ok now you've done it :totap: ..i'm gettin one of those :cool:
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

HKUSP45C

Post by HKUSP45C »

usa1 wrote:ok now you've done it :totap: ..i'm gettin one of those :cool:
If you're in Harris county, be prepared to go the "trust" route for your Title II purchases (machine-gun, suppressor, shortbarrel shotgun/rifle, destructive device, AOW .. ect.). The CLEOs here are loathe to sign a form 4 for ANY reason. Been that way as long as I can remember.

These guys have a square head on their shoulders and can help you with the hoops:

http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/states/texas/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A trust allows you to forgo the CLEO sign off, fingerprints and also has the added benefit of adding others to the trust so they possess and shoot your Title II firearms as well. Setting it up is cheap and trivial (particularly when compared to the cost of most transferrable Title II harware) BUT, I recommend you have a lawyer look at your trust before buying the hardware. The ATF will, sometimes, approve a transfer on a trust, scrutinize it later, then arrest the possessor for unlawful possession because the trust was inaccurate or improperly filed. Just watch your six on this process and it's as easy as changing a flat tire.

I understand most other counties aren't encumbered with idiot CLEOs and therefore potential buyers can get signatures with little problem.

ETA sorry for the thread hijack, I'll shut up now.

sawdust

Post by sawdust »

Why spend only a few dollars for a simple ice chest, when you can so easily spend a few hundred dollars more for a sophisticated, themostatically-controlled, micro-processor implanted cooler? :tiphat:

Mike from Texas

Post by Mike from Texas »

HKUSP45C wrote:
If you're in Harris county, be prepared to go the "trust" route for your Title II purchases (machine-gun, suppressor, shortbarrel shotgun/rifle, destructive device, AOW .. ect.). The CLEOs here are loathe to sign a form 4 for ANY reason. Been that way as long as I can remember.

These guys have a square head on their shoulders and can help you with the hoops:

http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/states/texas/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A trust allows you to forgo the CLEO sign off, fingerprints and also has the added benefit of adding others to the trust so they possess and shoot your Title II firearms as well. Setting it up is cheap and trivial (particularly when compared to the cost of most transferrable Title II harware) BUT, I recommend you have a lawyer look at your trust before buying the hardware. The ATF will, sometimes, approve a transfer on a trust, scrutinize it later, then arrest the possessor for unlawful possession because the trust was inaccurate or improperly filed. Just watch your six on this process and it's as easy as changing a flat tire.

I understand most other counties aren't encumbered with idiot CLEOs and therefore potential buyers can get signatures with little problem.

Have you actually used guntrustlawyers services? I followed a post on TGT by them and a few folks and they stated they most lawyers charge in the $600 range to set up a gun specific trust. I was just wondering if you felt it was worth the $$ to have them set up a trust for you.

Sorry for the hijack. :tiphat:
A few Glocks, a few Kahrs, Dan Wesson CBOB 10mm, Dan Wesson CBOB 45ACP, Springer Champion Operator

****************************************************************************************************

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

HKUSP45C wrote:This is also a fantastic choice fort the car since it's a shotty but also small enough to be useable in a seated position in the car:

http://www.serbu.com/top/superShorty.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Though you will have to pay the $5 AOW NFA tax and wait on the paperwork. It shouldn't take more than 6 weeks currently in Texas, from what I'm hearing from friends.
The KEG-12 is a tad cheaper, and available in a 3+1 version.

HKUSP45C

Post by HKUSP45C »

Mike from Texas wrote:
HKUSP45C wrote:

Have you actually used guntrustlawyers services? I followed a post on TGT by them and a few folks and they stated they most lawyers charge in the $600 range to set up a gun specific trust. I was just wondering if you felt it was worth the $$ to have them set up a trust for you.

Sorry for the hijack. :tiphat:
I have not, personally, used their services but, a guy at work had them direct him to a local lawyer who set him up for his trust. He seemed pleased with the process and value of the service (though I never asked him how much he paid).

As for whether or not $600 (if that's the going rate) is worth paying to have a lawyer draft and file a document dealing with items that could, easily, get you 10 years and a $250,000 dollar consequence for doing it improperly .... well ... that's up to you. A good suppressor will run you 6-900 dollars and a 200 dollar tax, most transferrable MGs start at 3500 and run to 80,000 and up and even in the AOW world guns that transfer on the NFA are above 500. Since one trust allows you to add as many pieces as you want the costs associated with having it done right are small compared to the 1) penalties and 2) cost of the hardware.

Since Harris county only really lets you get a trust or corporation to get Title II hardware doing either one correctly might be a big benefit to some people. Some may even see value in paying a lawyer to do it, even if the costs appear high or prohibitive at first blush.

If you look at the site I posted for the guntrustlawawyers the BATFE is apparently prosecuting people with quicken trusts because they are considered non-compliant even thought he BATFE approved the transfer when tthe trusts were submitted (I will caution readers to consider the source and do research on their own). So, like so many time when discussing "value" it boils down to asking someone if "a tattoo hurts" your going to get different answers from different people.

My buddy didn't seem to mind the money and I agree with his assessment.

NcongruNt
Posts in topic: 4

Post by NcongruNt »

Back onto the topic...

Mr.72: how do you carry it? I have the same gun and am in the same situation. I, however, keep mine in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster. It has enough padding to it, that you'll feel warmth, but not the sizzle in your pocket.
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”