First Purchase

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
allinhtown
Posts in topic: 3

First Purchase

Post by allinhtown »

What would be the best way to buy my first firearm? Online? Or at a local store? After a quick search I found a few decent websites, but are there any recommendations for local shops? I don't have my CHL yet, and I know I will have to get the NCIS check anyway... but given my schedule (not available on Saturdays to take the class) It seems more feasible to get my firearm first, then take the class. (none of the places that offer gun rentals offer Sunday classes)

Pete92FS
Posts in topic: 2

Re: First Purchase

Post by Pete92FS »

I would go to some place like Academy; that's where I bought my last two. They seem to have some of the better prices around. There you can also handle them and get a feel for what you like best. Once you have narrowed it down to what you like you can always go online and see if you can get a better deal.

Guns shows used to be a good place to go but I'm not sure you get as good of deals as you used to with the demand for guns and ammo rising.
CHL since 01/26/09

joe817
Posts in topic: 1

Post by joe817 »

Hi allinh. There are as many ways to do this as you can imagine. I myself, like to educate myself as much as I can online about the particular models that interest me. Then I go to my favorite large gun store to see them in person, and check out their prices. If the price is right, I'll buy it then and there.

I'm a large fan of purchasing used guns, because the prices suit me better, and quality guns last a long time. In fact, I think I've bought only 3 guns that were brand spanking new in my entire lifetime, but gobs and gobs of used guns. But to each their own. And I'm unanimous in that decision. lol!

My most recent purchase of a Ruger P95 came from auctionarms.com. Got a great deal on it. $231.00 for a used one complete with box, 2mags, loader and 2 mags, instruction manual. My next purchase will be from auctionarms.com as well. Gunbroker.com is another common auction website and they have lots of new guns, but a little to pricey for me.

Gun shows are a great place to pick up guns, IF you know exactly what you are looking for, and have a VERY good feel for the value of it/them. Also, gun shows are a great way to negotiate a good deal for yourself, IF you have good knowledge of the gun you are looking at. Otherwise, there's every likelihood of you paying to much(if money is an object)

Hope that helps a lil' bit. :txflag:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

LarryH

Post by LarryH »

allinhtown wrote:What would be the best way to buy my first firearm? Online? Or at a local store? After a quick search I found a few decent websites, but are there any recommendations for local shops? I don't have my CHL yet, and I know I will have to get the NCIS check anyway... but given my schedule (not available on Saturdays to take the class) It seems more feasible to get my firearm first, then take the class. (none of the places that offer gun rentals offer Sunday classes)
After looking around at gun shows or stores, as the other responders have mentioned, what's wrong with renting a few, for educational purposes, whether the facility offers Sunday classes or not?

While just handling a gun will tell you quite a bit about how it fits your hand, only firing it will tell you the most important thing (cleaning it will tell you the second most important thing).

Topic author
allinhtown

Post by allinhtown »

Thanks for the quick response guys. My name is Chris :P sorry :)

I think I have decided on the Sig P250. I rented the .40 version at Top Gun a few weeks ago, and I loved it. I stopped by the Pasadena Gun Show yesterday (any opinions out there?) And I only saw 2. Both were ~$50 more expensive than the cheapest I could find them online, and did not look new either. I should have the cash together sometime this week, and I'm planning on going to the next gun show at George R Brown on the 6th or 7th (this weekend I think? wow)

Well, I know Sigs are expensive guns, so I'm prepared to spend around $600-$700. I think I fell in love with them for their accuracy. I also read some great things about the P239, that it is really popular for CCW etc... but it is a tad heavier than the P250. Plus the P250 is very simple, and appears easy to clean. I think I have done a fair amount of research, and I have a good idea of what I want to pay.

Any suggestions of good places in Houston that would let me handle and maybe even dry-fire a few?

Also... (if I decide to pick one up at the gun show, how do they do the NCIS check there? Doesn't it take a few days?)

Thanks again!

OverEasy

Post by OverEasy »

I would suggest purchase at a local shop. Because you would have to find a FFL holder to receive your online purchase.
I know you are new in Houston. Use a map or google or whatever and find "Tomball TX", it's northwest of Houston.
Tomball Pawn is located on the southwest quadrent of the intersection of State Hwy. 249 and Farm to Market Road 2920.
They have a wide selection of handguns and reasonable prices and nice people. I'm a satisfied customer. ;-)

If you can't find a Sunday class or a weeknite class to fit your schedual and you don't mind a little road trip, Champion FireArms in College Station TX has a one day class on Sundays. I've done a couple of renewals there. Again, a satisfied customer! They have a very nice indoor range. It sure beats a hot uncomfortable classroom and a sweaty, buggy outdoor range. Champion FA rents a wide range of guns also. They have reasonable prices on guns too.

Regards, OE
NRA
TSRA
JPFO
American Legion
USN (69-77)
What did you expect?

LarryH

Post by LarryH »

allinhtown wrote: Also... (if I decide to pick one up at the gun show, how do they do the NCIS check there? Doesn't it take a few days?)
Thanks again!
By telephone. Under ordinary circumstances, less than five minutes. It often takes longer for them to get connected than it does to complete the check.

Pete92FS

Post by Pete92FS »

LarryH wrote:
allinhtown wrote: Also... (if I decide to pick one up at the gun show, how do they do the NCIS check there? Doesn't it take a few days?)
Thanks again!
By telephone. Under ordinary circumstances, less than five minutes. It often takes longer for them to get connected than it does to complete the check.
Once you get you CHL you can even bypass the NICS check. You still have to fill out the paperwork but the call is not necessay.
CHL since 01/26/09

RECIT

Post by RECIT »

I recommend visiting a large retailer that will have everything in stock so you can handle it all in one place and compare the way they feel. Some will let you try the trigger some will not take the lock off the gun to try the trigger. I visit and fondle/handle in one place and usually buy at another. I find what I want then find the DEAL on it. A gun show is a good place to buy if you know EXACTLY what you want and EXACTLY what it is worth. Don't just wonder up and slap some money down. You will not get what you want and you will pay too much. I just went to the last gun show at Reliant and found Academy to have a better price and service for the Browning Buckmark I was shopping for. The dealer that had what I was looking for at the show just had a bunch of kids behind the table and they were not friendly and would not budge on the price. I told them I could get it at the exact same price at Academy so make it worth my while and I will buy it from you. Their response was give Academy your business then as they yelled NEXT to get me out of the way. I didn't want it for free but I wanted a better price than Academy would give me or it was not even worth doing business with them. They lost my business that day. I went to Academy on my way home and bought it AND some ammo to go with it. Find what you want then find a deal on it is the way to go.
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."

dicion

Post by dicion »

Memorial Shooting Center

They are a Range, a Sig Dealer, have Sigs to Rent, and purchase. Prices are not bad at all either.

http://memorialshootingcenter.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
allinhtown

Post by allinhtown »

wow you guys are awesome. thanks for all the help... will keep you posted! expect to see a picture soon!

planning on stopping by memorial saturday! (maybe even friday i think i'm off that day)

cbjetboy

Post by cbjetboy »

I can recommend Buds Gun Shop and Osage County Guns, both online. They have been outstanding in all of my dealings with them. I bought my Kimber Grand Raptor II from Osage via gunbroker.com. Carter's Country will let you handle any firearm they have. Good luck!
cbjetboy - NRA Life Member :txflag:
Kimber Ultra Carry II LG .45 | Kimber Grand Raptor II .45 | S&W Model 66 .357 Mag
04/14 - Received by DPS | 07/04 - CHL in Hand | 113 Days

longhornmike

Post by longhornmike »

ALLEN
have youmade your purchase yet?

if not , be sure and look at the springfield armory xd & xdm's . i have a xd .45 tactical that i love.

enjoy your choice.

mike
12/16/09 plastic in hand

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”