1911 Newbie!

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
HOSSISFREE
Posts in topic: 2

1911 Newbie!

Post by HOSSISFREE »

Well, work was slow today, and I was in the vecinity of Top Gun Range in Houston. I had never shot a 1911 style pistol before, and thaught "Why Not". So I stopped in and rented their Springfield 1911 A1 5" to put 50 rounds through.

Now, I'm a staunch H&K fan, but I have to admit that I had a great experience with the Springfield. With my target at the 7yd mark, I had only 12 holes in the target. Keep in mind this is the first time I have ever picked up a 1911. O.k. 8 holes from my left hand. I always fire my H&K with both hands, so I figured I would try it with 1911. Imagine being in a gunfight and getting shot in the forearm, as people instinctively shoot for the threat (gun). What do you do? Pick it up with the weak hand and get back to business. Now I wasn't so good with my weak side, but.....I had only 3 errant shots with my strong hand and the rest of the 50 making one large hole in the middle. I shoot rather well with my H&K having a lot of practice, but I believe today was a testament to the accuracy and easy handling of the 1911. I never expected to do that well.

Overall I found it to be easy handling, easy sighting, easy trigger, and accurate as all can be. I can now understand why the 1911 style pistol is so wildly popular. I'm still a H&K fan, but I may need to add a 1911 to my small collection.

I have been wanting to try a 1911 after seeing the "Post your 1911 Beauties here" thread. I'm thinking Kimber, but 4" for carry. May not be as accurate as the 5" I shot, but it would be easier to carry. Just my thaughts.

Just wanted to share the experience with the folks here. My Uncle didn't seem all that interested while helping him with his deck earlier this evening.

Hoss
..." it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness." ~ Declaration of Independence!

Reysc
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Reysc »

Another 1911 newbie here!!! Mu KIMBER CUSTOM II will be arriving at my FFL tomorrow!! I am veryexcited about it and would like to learn more about this sought after model...I tried to explain to my wife why I need to buy a 1911 and the best analogy I could come up with is "it's the HARLEY DAVIDSON" of hand guns... She understood right away!!I've got glocks and sigs but the humble collection wont be complete without a 1911...Soon I can post my own 1911 beauty!!!
Have fun and be safe!! Might have to go into reloading, though..Geez, those 45 ammo are expensive..

longtooth
Posts in topic: 6

Post by longtooth »

Both of you gentlemen have chosen two excellent weapons. I have the Springer A1 custom loaded 5" & Kimber Pro in a 4". I do carry both. The 5" is not as hard to conceal as you might think. The key is to get a good belt & holster for it. The 4" Kim is easy to hide. You are right on the extra inch being accuracy help. You will not be disapointed in the K though. I am in transition on the Springer carry rig right now. I carry K in a Top Gun Kydex IWB & that is the choice of rig for it. I have tried the Springer in a Comp-Tac C-TAC. Never tucked it for obvious reasons but want to go w/ an OWB on it. Have a couple I keep in the range bag to loan when guests come to shoot IPSC at our range. I have used these enough to know I like OWB better on the Springer. Loading is good idea. If you are ready I may know of an RCBs starter set up for sale.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Diode
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Diode »

I have recently been bitten by the 1911 bug. My brother has a Colt Model 70 and a friend at the range has a Kimber. After shooting both I have decided to start looking for one. I own a Xd-45 and have become a Springfield fan, so I am semi-shopping for a Springfield.

Houston1944
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Houston1944 »

It is not just nostalgia that attracts folks to the 1911. They are great pistols that perform when needed. As long as we are talking about the 1911 as a carry pistol, don't overlook the S&W 1911PD. I often carry a full size 1911PD. It weighs about 10oz less than the steel frame models and for some of us older shooters that makes a big difference.

Diode

Post by Diode »

Houston1944 wrote:It is not just nostalgia that attracts folks to the 1911. They are great pistols that perform when needed. As long as we are talking about the 1911 as a carry pistol, don't overlook the S&W 1911PD. I often carry a full size 1911PD. It weighs about 10oz less than the steel frame models and for some of us older shooters that makes a big difference.
That was what impressed me, I was more accurate with the 1911's than anything else I have fired.

KinnyLee

Post by KinnyLee »

My first pistol was a USPf .45. I wasn't very accurate with it even though other people can hit where they pointed at all day long. It's me not able to control the big wide frame of the pistol. Then the Glock 30. With similar with of the frame, but lower bore axis I'm surprised that I can be more accurate than the USP. Then comes the Kimber. That's a natural shooter right there. Pointability is awesome. The weight of the 1911 just helps me steady my shot more than the polymer units. The single stack design allow me to gain full control of it. Since then I've bought five more, and I'm planning for more. :lol:

Diode

Post by Diode »

The Springfield "loaded" Stainless is my wish list choice right now, the Kimber is a tad pricy fer me. :)

DaveT
Posts in topic: 1

Post by DaveT »

I wouldn't discount the Kimber 3 inch Ultra Carry II without trying one first.

As far as accuracy goes, all the Kimber rounds seem to hit the target in the same places as my Glock models 23, 26 or 30..... or my S&W 357 snubbies, Models 60 and 640.

The Kimber Ultra Carry is lightweight, and very easy to conceal. Add night sights ($142.50 installed at Kimber's Custom Shop), or a Crimson Trace Model LG 404 laser and you have the perfect concealed carry weapon.... in my humble opinion, of course ! :grin:

Diode

Post by Diode »

DaveT wrote: The Kimber Ultra Carry is lightweight, and very easy to conceal. Add night sights ($142.50 installed at Kimber's Custom Shop), or a Crimson Trace Model LG 404 laser and you have the perfect concealed carry weapon.... in my humble opinion, of course ! :grin:
I agree, I loved the Kimber I shot. Just a little expensive. ;-)

Reysc
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Reysc »

You guys are just killing me!!! :lol: :lol: I haven't got my 1st 1911 yet and here I am dreaming about the next one..... I'm getting close to be gun poor!!

Diode

Post by Diode »

I been wanting one for so long now, I can't make a decision anyway. I really like the Springfield's but then again a Colt or a Kimber would just be fine-o-neat!

:cool:

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

DaveT wrote:The Kimber Ultra Carry is lightweight, and very easy to conceal. Add night sights ($142.50 installed at Kimber's Custom Shop), or a Crimson Trace Model LG 404 laser and you have the perfect concealed carry weapon.... in my humble opinion, of course ! :grin:
I carry the UCII - it's a great firearm. If you are looking into one, I would get the model with night sights. It is difficult to swap the sights after the fact, and much cheaper to just get a model with night sights.

Also - if you can, stepping up to the Ultra CDP in a 3" model is recommended if you have the funds.

As far as Colts and Kimbers - the older Colts (I have a series 70) are excellent firearms. My gold cup is hands down my faveorite 1911, but my dad also had lots of 'smithing done to it as it was his competition pistol.

Every Kimber I've handed is quality. I could be off but IIRC, they are all machined and new colts are stamped or MIM. I could be wrong though.

Enjoy the bug!

-nick
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Diode

Post by Diode »

I am also Left handed! I know the Springfields are Amby in the loaded models, do the Colts or the Kimbers come amby? can they be fitted easly?

Topic author
HOSSISFREE

Post by HOSSISFREE »

Wow folks! Thanks for the responses. I keep looking at Kimber because I have friends that swear by them, but I just can't decide on which length, model, and such. Although, I have a little time to figure it out. They're a little pricy, so I have to squirrel away the funds for a little while.

Kimber seeking,

Hoss
..." it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness." ~ Declaration of Independence!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”