I may have found my CCW.

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
NTexas_V-Star
Posts in topic: 8

I may have found my CCW.

Post by NTexas_V-Star »

I may have found my CCW. The S&W M&P 9mm compact model.

Anybody got any experience with these weapons? Good or bad?

I went looking around yesterday, and happened across these guns in Gander Mountain. Not looking to buy anything from them, but they do have a pretty big selection to choose from. It's where I window shop.

Anyways, I know that I've said before that I'd like to stay in the .45 ACP for CCW because it's what I already shoot, but I find it hard to find one I can comfortably conceal. It usually comes down to weight.

But this gun, the M&P 9mm seems like it fit all my requirements. And it just felt right in my hand. Ever get that, where you hold one for the first time and it seems like it was made for YOU. Lol.

Anyways, any knowledge anyone here can share with me is muchly appreciated.

TIA
"Cry Havoc, And Let Slip The Dogs Of War..."

CHL course Taken: January 24th, 2009
Application Mailed: January 31st, 2009
PIN recieved : March 4th, 2009
Certificate Active: April 18, 2009 (Day 77)
Plastic In Hand : April 20th, 2009 (Day 79)

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 3

Re: I may have found my CCW.

Post by Oldgringo »

You already have one XD. Look at a XD 9 SC or a XD .45 Compact before you decide. Either one carries well with an economical Don Hume J.I.T. or a Don Hume First Agent, IMO. For that matter, I carry my XD .45 Service as much as I carry the XD 9 SC. Nobody knows.

Topic author
NTexas_V-Star

Post by NTexas_V-Star »

I do love my XD, and in fact I'll probably carry my full size 5" Tactical .45 XD when circumstances permit it....but for carrying at work, it's just too big, I have to do too much bending, lifting, turning, getting on/off and into/out of equipment. It would become visible at some point, even for a second.

As far as the smaller XD's go, i've considered that, but the double stack mag making the gun so wide kind of throws me off.

I have given it some thought, though. It'd be keeping in a family of pistols that I'm already familiar with. Something about the M&P calls my name though, lol.

Also, I've got an XD .357 SIG that I no longer feel any kind of need to keep it any longer. I was curious about the round, so bought the gun. Discovered I don't like paying for the round. Also, that particular pistol has a VERY light trigger, so light that I wouldn't want to carry it with a round chambered. I don't even leave it loaded at home for an HD pistol; if I grabbed it in a panic with someone trying to kick my door down, I'd more than likely put a round into my nightstand. It's extremely sensitive.

That being said, I'm considering selling/trading the .357 to fund a CCW. I'm going to give the smaller XD's another look. Thanks.

jbirds1210
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jbirds1210 »

The M&P is definitely a nice pistol with great capacity. The baby one is my favorite of them all.

Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Oldgringo »

NTexas_V-Star wrote:I do love my XD, and in fact I'll probably carry my full size 5" Tactical .45 XD when circumstances permit it....but for carrying at work, it's just too big, I have to do too much bending, lifting, turning, getting on/off and into/out of equipment. It would become visible at some point, even for a second.

As far as the smaller XD's go, i've considered that, but the double stack mag making the gun so wide kind of throws me off.

I have given it some thought, though. It'd be keeping in a family of pistols that I'm already familiar with. Something about the M&P calls my name though, lol.

Also, I've got an XD .357 SIG that I no longer feel any kind of need to keep it any longer. I was curious about the round, so bought the gun. Discovered I don't like paying for the round. Also, that particular pistol has a VERY light trigger, so light that I wouldn't want to carry it with a round chambered. I don't even leave it loaded at home for an HD pistol; if I grabbed it in a panic with someone trying to kick my door down, I'd more than likely put a round into my nightstand. It's extremely sensitive.

That being said, I'm considering selling/trading the .357 to fund a CCW. I'm going to give the smaller XD's another look. Thanks.
Check out the XD 9 SC. It carries well with the 10 rd. mag and after the .22, the 9mm is the most economical to shoot($20/100 WWB at Wal-Mart).

DONT TREAD ON ME

Post by DONT TREAD ON ME »

I carry a XD.45 4" service model daily. I have no problem concealing it and with my belt the weight is NEVER a problem. I use a Minotaur M-TAC holster and I can have my shirts tucked or untucked depending on where I am going. I use a 5.11 Operator belt. Like I said the weight is never a problem with this combo. Also I do not wear big or baggy clothes a lot. 99% of the time is regular jeans with my Durango boots and either a flannel or a t-shirt.

stroo

Post by stroo »

If the S&W feels great to you and you can shoot it accurately, go with it. The first time I picked up a Hipower, I had the same feeling you did with the S&W. Each of us is different and therefore there is no one size fits all gun.

Topic author
NTexas_V-Star

Post by NTexas_V-Star »

XtremeDuty.45 wrote:I carry a XD.45 4" service model daily. I have no problem concealing it and with my belt the weight is NEVER a problem. I use a Minotaur M-TAC holster and I can have my shirts tucked or untucked depending on where I am going. I use a 5.11 Operator belt. Like I said the weight is never a problem with this combo. Also I do not wear big or baggy clothes a lot. 99% of the time is regular jeans with my Durango boots and either a flannel or a t-shirt.

I'm guessing that belt is pretty sturdy then? I wonder if the 5" would be any different, as far as comfort and concealability.

Topic author
NTexas_V-Star

Post by NTexas_V-Star »

stroo wrote:If the S&W feels great to you and you can shoot it accurately, go with it. The first time I picked up a Hipower, I had the same feeling you did with the S&W. Each of us is different and therefore there is no one size fits all gun.

I havent gotten a chance to shoot one, but I will say that it felt excellent in my hand. The only problem I saw was the grip wasn't tall enough to accomodate my pinky finger. The two solutions for that I can think of are: a). get those extension deals that go on the end of the magazines, or b). try the next frame size up, maybe it'll still be concealable.

As far as being able to shoot it accurately, I'm reasonably sure that with how comfortable it was in my hand, I'll be able to hit what I'm firing at with a little practice. And I do enjoy practicing, lol. :fire

TDDude

Post by TDDude »

NTexas_V-Star wrote:But this gun, the M&P 9mm seems like it fit all my requirements. And it just felt right in my hand. Ever get that, where you hold one for the first time and it seems like it was made for YOU. Lol.
Yes. It was a little known model from Beretta (at the time) called Cougar. I've since bought three of them over the years.

Getting a pistol is just like buyng a pair of shoes. If they don't feel right when first put on, they will never feel right. You might get used to them but they won't feel right.

:txflag: :patriot: :txflag: :patriot: :txflag: :patriot: :txflag: :patriot: :txflag: :patriot: :txflag: :patriot: :txflag: :patriot: :txflag: :patriot:
Ray F.
Luke 22:35-38 "Gear up boys, I gotta go and it's gonna get rough." JC
-- Darrell Royal, former UT football coach - "If worms carried pistols, birds wouldn't eat 'em."

fm2
Posts in topic: 2

Post by fm2 »

The M&P is a good CHL gun.
“It is the belief that violence is an aberration that is dangerous because it lulls us into forgetting how easily violence may erupt in quiescent places.” S. Pinker

Topic author
NTexas_V-Star

Post by NTexas_V-Star »

fm2 wrote:The M&P is a good CHL gun.

I take you have one?

fm2

Post by fm2 »

My shooting buddy has one and I've shot it a bit.
“It is the belief that violence is an aberration that is dangerous because it lulls us into forgetting how easily violence may erupt in quiescent places.” S. Pinker

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

Good choice.

The M&P 9c is a great gun. I find it comfortable to carry and shoot. I have consistantly placed in the top five with mine at every BUG match I have shot. Unlike the XDs the M&P sits low in your hand allowing the shooter to manage recoil better.
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

Emmett

Post by Emmett »

I carry the M&P 9c, it is an easy pistol to conseal and very comfortable to carry. And on top of that,it is an accurate gun. I have put over 600 rounds through mine and have not had a single problem with it.

Good Luck in your Choice,
Emmett
Psalm 121
STI Spartan 45ACP
Smith & Wesson MP 9c
Ruger LCP .380
Image82nd Airborne Division 3/504 PIR CSC (Recon) Image

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”