The United Kingdom

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
seadawg221
Posts in topic: 7

The United Kingdom

Post by seadawg221 »

Thought I would share a little something with you folks.

Recently my 21 year old son moved back from London England, he had been working there for the last two years. Anyway he met a girl there and she flew into Fort Lauderdale last Sunday (my son now lives there) just in time to get hunkered down for Hurricane Wilma. They made it through the storm safely but afterwards they had no power or water (Son lives in a high rise condo). Since my son can work from anywhere with a high speed internet connection he called me up and said that they were coming to stay with us for a while.

I met my son's girlfriend yesterday evening for the first time, after dinner she went out with me to walk the dog. As we were walking she noticed children bicyclying, people jogging or just merely milling about outside (it was just about dark), she was amazed to see people outside doing these things and said "It just isn't safe in London to be outside after dark!"

When we got back home I asked her and my son if they wanted to go with us Saturday to the PSC thing, I asked her if she had ever fired a gun before and she indicated that she had a few years ago. She was amazed that my wife and I carry guns and told us (we knew already) that they were not even allowed to own firearms. She even went as far as to say that if a BG was to break into her home and start raping her she was legally not allowed to defend herself without facing manslaughter or murder charges! If someone in the streets approached her and tried to take her purse or do other harm she was legally not allowed to defend herself or her property!!!

I guess we can truely see how fortunate we are here in America to have the ability to defend ourselves. I think she can also see what happens when a society has their rights and priviliges removed.

THANK GOD FOR THE USA!!!

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Any luck getting them to come to PSC Saturday?

Great story.

Chas.

Topic author
seadawg221

Post by seadawg221 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Any luck getting them to come to PSC Saturday?

Great story.

Chas.
I never could get a cmmitment from them :cry:

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

seadawg221 wrote:I never could get a cmmitment from them :cry:
Tell your son's girlfriend I'm from London and I'd love to meet her. It's a lie, but she won't find out until after she's already at the range and hears my native Texan accent! :lol:

Regards,
Chas.

Topic author
seadawg221

Post by seadawg221 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
seadawg221 wrote:I never could get a cmmitment from them :cry:
Tell your son's girlfriend I'm from London and I'd love to meet her. It's a lie, but she won't find out until after she's already at the range and hears my native Texan accent! :lol:

Regards,
Chas.

:lol: Now that's just downright funny!

After handing her a couple of guns last night I'm not real sure I want her to handle one!

TraCoun
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TraCoun »

Seadawg,

That's the kind of person we would like to see out there Saturday ... we're looking to educate!

Hope to see you all there!

Thanx,
TraCoun

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

TraCoun wrote:Seadawg,

That's the kind of person we would like to see out there Saturday ... we're looking to educate!

Hope to see you all there!

Thanx,
TraCoun
I agree...It kinda hurts a little to know that when a person actually sees things like what she saw during your walk, how much I wish they could take that truth back with them...If they ever decide to actually go back...

It sure would be great to see them both Saturday...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Topic author
seadawg221

Post by seadawg221 »

Well, aparetnly I have started a conflict with some other British citizens on another forum I belong to, I posted this same very post. They advised me that I was full of it! They said that they were allowed to defend themselves (of course they did not say they could do so with a firearm).

Since I don't have person knowledge about the subject of personal defense in the UK I could not argue much with them but I was able to say with confidence that aparently the young lady does not feel safe and I also do know that they do not have the right to own firearms (I would guess that there are some provisions for hunters).

I should have brought up the question of "If the UK is such a great, safe, wonderful place why were they now living in the good old USA???

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

There's a British farmer who's serving a life sentence for shooting (with a legally owned shotgun) two burglars who were assaulting him in his home who would disagree with the position that Brits can defend themselves. I can't recall his name, but I believe an appellate court will or has reconsidered the sentence; not the conviction mind you, just the sentence.

Regards,
Chas.

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

Seadawg, If they get too nasty over there just remind them that if it wasn't for us and our guns they'd be speaking German.
Argument over.

Topic author
seadawg221

Post by seadawg221 »

HighVelocity wrote:Seadawg, If they get too nasty over there just remind them that if it wasn't for us and our guns they'd be speaking German.
Argument over.
I like that one! :D

yerasimos

Post by yerasimos »

I had a hard time remembering the gentleman's name, too, Chas. Tony Martin is his name. (For some reason, I remembered one of his assailants' last names, and Googled that along with some other relevant words.)

For easy reference, here are some pertinent links I found:

http://www.edp24.co.uk/Content/News/Ind ... Martin.asp
http://www.lewrockwell.com/watson/watson43.html
http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid ... =817212003

Topic author
seadawg221

Post by seadawg221 »

yerasimos wrote:I had a hard time remembering the gentleman's name, too, Chas. Tony Martin is his name. (For some reason, I remembered one of his assailants' last names, and Googled that along with some other relevant words.)

For easy reference, here are some pertinent links I found:

http://www.edp24.co.uk/Content/News/Ind ... Martin.asp
http://www.lewrockwell.com/watson/watson43.html
http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid ... =817212003
I can really stir up some controversy on the other forum with these links! Thanks!

exi
Posts in topic: 2

Post by exi »

What does your son do, if you don't mind me asking?

Topic author
seadawg221

Post by seadawg221 »

Excellent question but I don't really know. I suppose his actual duties may very well be confidential with only his company and their customers actually knowing what he does. While in London he was a Senior Network Engineer

I think he is now considered a ZOMBIE HUNTER :D http://www.prolexic.com/news/20051003-newyorker.php

This is the company he is now with http://www.prolexic.com . If you are somewhat of a geek (such as myself) you may enjoy reading some of the articles on this website.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”