Short review: Sig P238

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

ipscshooter
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Short review: Sig P238

Post by ipscshooter »

Sig's extended mags are still on backorder, but, the waits are not nearly as long as they used to be. I ordered via their website and got them in a little under a month.

It's probably better to call them to place your order. If you order via the website, they charge your credit card immediately, even if they're not going to ship for a month or more. If you call them to order, and speak to an actual human being, they don't bill you until your magazines ship (or so I was told...).
NRA Life Member
USPSA Member
NSCA Life Member

Topic author
wgoforth
Posts in topic: 25

Post by wgoforth »

ipscshooter wrote:Sig's extended mags are still on backorder, but, the waits are not nearly as long as they used to be. I ordered via their website and got them in a little under a month.

It's probably better to call them to place your order. If you order via the website, they charge your credit card immediately, even if they're not going to ship for a month or more. If you call them to order, and speak to an actual human being, they don't bill you until your magazines ship (or so I was told...).
I ordered mine 2 weeks ago from CDNN... $15 cheaper and in stock.
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

Just had my birthday... here was the cake my wife baked and decorated!

NRA Life Member
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sublevel

Post by sublevel »

Awesome cake, happy bday

For a lighter trigger pull try a Wolf Spring lighter hammer spring for a colt mustang, works perfectly fine I've done it to a couple Sig P238s

Also the hogue wrap around specific grip is a nice addition and works with the factory sig laser guard (CT laser guard would need modifications

Ran several hundred rounds of PMC ammo through mine with no issues and the other gun belongs to a gentalman at a shop/range and spoke with him today and he has had "0" issues

4.00+ shippIng and like 5 minutes and you got a slick little trigger job

Topic author
wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

Called Sig today...they have shipped it back. I asked what had been done and was told they adjusted the extractor, polished the feedramp, checked for other problems and found nothing...shot 30 flawless rounds through. It is coming 2cnd day air and should arrive on Thurs, so we shall see how it functions then.
NRA Life Member

Topic author
wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

Came today, a day early. Also included a FREE magazine! Detailed letter of who the gunsmith was, the torn off flap of Federal Eagle ammo showing what brand they ran through it. States 30 flawless rounds. Haven't had time to try it it, but will attempt to tomorrow. So far, Sig has impressed me with excellent customer service.
NRA Life Member

Topic author
wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

Took it to the range today... wow. Smooth as butter. Apparently they did some polishing besides feed ramp. I give Sig and their customer service thumbs up.
NRA Life Member

Domineaux
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Domineaux »

Always great to hear of wonderful service, especially when it is backing up a wonderful gun!
"One cannot restrict the defiant by constraining the compliant."
Houston Gunners: http://houstongunforum.com
Suggestions by Domineaux

extremist

Post by extremist »

Granted, not an extensive test, but I did run some rounds through my brand new May 2011 build P238 yesterday at DPC using my 2 7 round mags (obtained from Top Gun Supply) and the standard 6 round mag:

- about 15 rounds of CCI Blazer
- about 10 rounds of S&B
- 5 Rounds of Federal Hydrashok
- 5 Rounds of Remington Personal Defense (Golden Sabre)

ALL flawless. I love this little gun.

James
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

Topic author
wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

extremist wrote:Granted, not an extensive test, but I did run some rounds through my brand new May 2011 build P238 yesterday at DPC using my 2 7 round mags (obtained from Top Gun Supply) and the standard 6 round mag:

- about 10 rounds of S&B

James
Yes, me too...funny thing is I never would have considered it had not my wife tried one and loved it... then I shot it to see, and it was like "whoa."
I keep hearing folks say they would not consider a cock-n-lock for a pocket carry (I wear it OWB holster anyway)...but I can't figure that out. It is designed to be carried this way. It has a thumb safety and the hammer will not go down unless the trigger is pulled. The trigger is an 8lb trigger which is as heavy as LCP, Bodyguard, etc. Though cocked-n-locked, the trigger takes same force as other pocket carries...so why is everyone so worried about these?
NRA Life Member

rusty86
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rusty86 »

wgoforth wrote:
extremist wrote:Granted, not an extensive test, but I did run some rounds through my brand new May 2011 build P238 yesterday at DPC using my 2 7 round mags (obtained from Top Gun Supply) and the standard 6 round mag:

- about 10 rounds of S&B

James
Yes, me too...funny thing is I never would have considered it had not my wife tried one and loved it... then I shot it to see, and it was like "whoa."
I keep hearing folks say they would not consider a cock-n-lock for a pocket carry (I wear it OWB holster anyway)...but I can't figure that out. It is designed to be carried this way. It has a thumb safety and the hammer will not go down unless the trigger is pulled. The trigger is an 8lb trigger which is as heavy as LCP, Bodyguard, etc. Though cocked-n-locked, the trigger takes same force as other pocket carries...so why is everyone so worried about these?

I don't understand that either. Especially in a pocket holster which covers up the trigger and safety. It seems very safe to me.

Domineaux

Post by Domineaux »

rusty86 wrote:
wgoforth wrote:

- about 10 rounds of S&B

James

I don't understand that either. Especially in a pocket holster which covers up the trigger and safety. It seems very safe to me.
I can see thinking the safety might not stay reliably engaged specifically due to pocket/purse carry, but the heavy trigger pull should suffice as backup.
Suggestions by Domineaux

Topic author
wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

Domineaux wrote:
rusty86 wrote:
wgoforth wrote:

- about 10 rounds of S&B

James

I can see thinking the safety might not stay reliably engaged specifically due to pocket/purse carry, but the heavy trigger pull should suffice as backup.
Even the safety is covered in a Desantis pocket holster. The safety has a "click" rather than just up and down... so you know if it engages or disengages.
NRA Life Member

Domineaux

Post by Domineaux »

wgoforth wrote: Even the safety is covered in a Desantis pocket holster. The safety has a "click" rather than just up and down... so you know if it engages or disengages.
Ah ok, with the safety covered it should be all good. Don't think the "click" would help too much otherwise.
Suggestions by Domineaux

Topic author
wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

Domineaux wrote:
wgoforth wrote: Even the safety is covered in a Desantis pocket holster. The safety has a "click" rather than just up and down... so you know if it engages or disengages.
Ah ok, with the safety covered it should be all good. Don't think the "click" would help too much otherwise.
I wouls still suggest holster carry over pocket carry. After actually needing to pull on someone last month and realizing how slow it was, I have gone strictly OWB carry.
NRA Life Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”