Taurus 1911...Is it too good to be true???

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

srothstein
Posts in topic: 2

Post by srothstein »

I am the member Mike referred too. I picked up the Taurus a week ago at Bass Pro Shops in San Antonio. Got to shoot it on Friday and I am very pleased with it.

I do want to modify it a little and am looking at replacing the sights with night sights (for work) and then adding a Crimson Trace laser grip. The laser will require a new safety that is bobbed on the right side.

After the other thread where Mike was telling me about the sights, I stopped in at McBride's today. They can get me the laser, but don't know about the safety (it is mentioned in the catalog but not listed with a part number or anything like that). they are checking further into that. They are also checking on the Heinie sights for me.

So far, I strongly recommend the Taurus with only one reservation. I really wish they had used a standard sight dovetail so I could get new sights more easily.

Oops, two reservations. It only comes with two magazines and I needed a third for duty. Just something to consider.
Steve Rothstein

Tote 9
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Tote 9 »

Here's a link for info. and a picture for the PT 1911. I would like one

for the price.

http://www.taurususa.com/products/produ ... ory=Pistol
Don't Lose Your Head , Your Brains Are In It !!
At my age the only thing thats getting better is my FORGETTER.

Topic author
stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 11

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Here's something to think about...

Even though there may be remedies to some of the things on a pistol like this...

Does anyone get the feeling that Taurus really wanted to limit the way some of us like to tinker with stuff???

With what appears to be an effort by the designers and manufacturer to put in proprietary issues into the design that only a gunsmith "might" be able to modify???

I believe the whole issue makes owning one or more of these, half the fun to see what you actually can do with this pistol...Not that much needs to be done with them...

Just something to think about...I still like the design overall...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Rex B

choices

Post by Rex B »

I bought a couple of those Colt Sistemas from Gander Mountain a few months ago. For the price of two worn, rusty (but shootable) guns I could have bought a brabd new PT1911.
Anybody want to trade?
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

The Marshal

Post by The Marshal »

WELL?

What are the thoughts on this pistol now?
I have a friend looking at one, so would like some feedback from you owners!!

Thanks

~Bill

Topic author
stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

The Marshal wrote:WELL?

Thanks

~Bill
I didn't see any at the gunshow here in Houston this last weekend...

Not sure if that means they are out of the first batch they produced for the American market, or they are not making enough to keep up with demand...Maybe they are moving pretty fast...

I haven't seen any used ones sitting on anyones tables either...

I don't think I've heard of any real problems with them yet...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Mike1951 »

Actually, I saw PT1911's on at least 3 tables yesterday at Reliant, all marked fairly at $499. Some had PT1911's marked near $700. These would have been either the factory laser model or the factory night sites model. I didn't bother to look closely enough to tell.

There have been no major issues that I know of and relatively few minor ones. Taurus did begin chamfering the firing pin hole at some point in production and some tried to make a negative out of this. It turned out to be a non-issue. (It appeared to be chamfered a little more than custom shops typically do as an enhancement.)

The following forum remains one of the best ways to stay current on the Taurus 1911.

http://forum.m1911.org/forumdisplay.php?f=115
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

jbaugh

My Taurus PT 1911 is my favorite gun

Post by jbaugh »

I bought my Taurus PT 1911 several months ago. I went shopping for one after reading the glowing review in American Rifleman. Only one dealer in my area had one in stock. My dealer said he was told by the Taurus rep that he was the first dealer in Utah to get one. Whether this was true or not, I bought the one he had on the spot.

It is my favorite of the 5 handguns that I own ( 2 revolvers and 3 semi-automatics). It feels good in the hand and shoots nice. I was surprised at its accuracy. My next favorite pistol is my Kimber Ultra Carry. This is my carry pistol. It is a great shooting gun as well. But the full sized Taurus just feels better in the hand and of course has much less recoil.

My Taurus has functioned flawlessly so far. I haven't had a single firing malfunction. And I am impressed by the workmanship.

Cordially,
John

Topic author
stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Mike1951 wrote:Actually, I saw PT1911's on at least 3 tables yesterday at Reliant, all marked fairly at $499. Some had PT1911's marked near $700. These would have been either the factory laser model or the factory night sites model. I didn't bother to look closely enough to tell.

There have been no major issues that I know of and relatively few minor ones. Taurus did begin chamfering the firing pin hole at some point in production and some tried to make a negative out of this. It turned out to be a non-issue. (It appeared to be chamfered a little more than custom shops typically do as an enhancement.)

The following forum remains one of the best ways to stay current on the Taurus 1911.

http://forum.m1911.org/forumdisplay.php?f=115
Yep, blind as a bat...If they'd been a snake, I would have probably been bit...

I may have hung out too long back in the crafts area of the show... :lol:
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

srothstein
Posts in topic: 2

Post by srothstein »

The Marshal wrote:WELL?

Well, Bill, I like it enough now that I went out last week and qualified with it so I can carry it on duty. I guess trusting it enough for that is about the best recommendation i can give it.

The officer who was range master to qualify me was also very pleasantly surprised by it. He carries a Kimber and firing the two pistols side by side, I think the Taurus was more accurate while the Kimber had a slightly better trigger pull. For the price difference, Taurus gets my vote.
Steve Rothstein

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Mike1951 »

srothstein wrote:I am the member Mike referred too. I picked up the Taurus a week ago at Bass Pro Shops in San Antonio. Got to shoot it on Friday and I am very pleased with it.
I'm relieved that your still pleased with it.

I did highly recommend it!

If I didn't really like it, I wouldn't have two of 'em.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

pbandjelly

Post by pbandjelly »

I'd like a slightly shorter version, 4" or so.
ah, well.

135boomer

Post by 135boomer »

lrb111 wrote:
HighVelocity wrote:I handled one at the Mesquite Rodeo gunshow a while back and if the gun shoots and holds up to hard use then Springfield Armory and Kimber have to take notice and look at price adjustments.
The PT1911 had a pretty impressive fit and finish and the features for the money make it an incredible bargain. IF, it holds up and is reliable.
Did you see the ILS (internal locking system) in the hammer? That's the only questionable thing, to me. I woke up thinking about that this mornming, and wondering if a hammer replacement does away with that unnecessary bit, or if there is more involved.
If you want to get rid of Springfield's ILS, you change the mainspring housing, not the hammer.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”